Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Valrys

Clothing Ideas

Inspired by Utaels thread, I deemed this different enough to be worthy of its own thread rather than cluttering up his.

Anyway, I currently have enough trousers, I wear a mix of straight black jeans, "bondage" trousers and I have a couple of pairs of baggys (yeah, I know, I'm awful), but I'm at a complete loss for ideas for the other half of my body.
Usually I just throw on a plain or band T-Shirt under my trenchcoat but this state of affairs is boring me and despite frequent trawls through the internet I haven't seen anything that really catches my eye, so I'd like to hear some ideas (I know probably everyone will suggest DIY, but I'm totally useless at things like that, and don't even have a modern sowing machine...vintage foot powered sowing machines ftw!)
One problem for me is that I'm an xl and a lot of the nice stuff I see only goes up to large for some strange reason.
Editage:One thing I've wanted for ages, was a corset, but...erm.....quite hard to get hold of one that would fit me, being male, for a reasonable price. However, I love the androgynous look and would pay for a corset if I was sure it was what I wanted.
I look forward to hearing some suggestions.

And, as a ps, and to avoid creating another thread, there are 2 things I'm looking for in particular:
1) Some gloves - I need some gloves that both keep me warm and look good, whats the best sort of matierial to get gloves in, and does anyone have any good sources for gloves?
2) I fell in love withthis jacket, but unfortunately its a gloomth one off in too small a size, so I was wondering if anyone knew of similar jackets at a reasonable price? (I've seen a very lovely jacket thats similar from thedarkangel.co.uk but its quite a bit more money)

Thanks for reading!
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Valrys

Nobody?

Not even to tell me I'm a waste of bandwith?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Methadrine

Sssschh, you're waisting Shropshireian bandwidth!

Anyway, regarding the gloves.. well, synthetic materials is the warmest but looks butt-ugly most of the time, so I'd say leather. For pure fashion you could get a pair of rather thin, black ones that'd go splendid with the jacket you posted, as that was the common practice in the victorian era... if you are so inclined.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Sssschh, you're waisting Shropshireian bandwidth!
I'm a bad little internet whore

And regarding the gloves, I was thinking along the lines of leather as well, and leather gloves are one thing I probably could find in my local town, so I'll probably go have a search.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Edward Strange

I've always found myself drawn towards to smart look personally, especially the Victorian-esq stuff. However, it is so very hard to find things for me that fill into that category.

Have you looked at the Dark Angel (Google "the dark angel, dig?), it's a very groovy and unusual clothing shop that might tickle your fancy.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
honeythorn

Good gods man are there no charity shops in Shropshire? ( I have just noticed you are only a couple of counties away! I am in Birmingham ^^ )

Sureley you could have a look in an Oxfam or something? They tend to sort their clothing better and are less like jumble sales than most charity shops. And of course, you are more likely to get something for well under 20 quid than online.

Ebay? you have to trawl through some crap it is true, but you do see some nice stuff on there.

As for corsets....don't worry, I can't find one to fit me either ( that doesn't cost 300 quid or more ) so you aren't alone there.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
Have you looked at the Dark Angel
I certainly have, and am just about to purchase a shirt from there (Its also where I bought my coat from). They have some lovely stuff, but I'm poor and a lot of it I don't think I could pull off, or I wouldn't wear day to day (college y'see).

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Good gods man are there no charity shops in Shropshire?
There certainly are, and I must take a trip into them soon! I'm terrible at going into shops....I'll walk right up to them then instead of going in wander off and get distracted by something else or tell myself I'll do it another time >.>.
My local town is surprisingly well furnished with charity shops come to think of it, we have something like 3 or 4 (no oxfam though as far as I remember) all quite close together.

Regarding ebay, I can never be bothered to trawl through all the crap, and then when I find something nice its never in my size...maybe I'll try again when I get desperate for more clothing.

And ooo, Birmingham eh? Been there, been confused, run back home
I'm sure theres probably no shortage of good places to seek out a variety of clothing articles somewhere like that, you lucky thing.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrys

And ooo, Birmingham eh? Been there, been confused, run back home
I'm sure theres probably no shortage of good places to seek out a variety of clothing articles somewhere like that, you lucky thing.
Well, there is only one place that sells gothic and alternative stuff ( there is also sadly and entire shop specifically for emo clothing, scary stuff ) , and thats the Oasis. Kind of an indoor market almost. Did you go there? Admittedly it isn't the easiest place to locate if you don't know your way round. There's also the big market down by St Martins church ( near the bullring, huge church, you cannot miss it ) . I bought my black and red top from there yesterday ( see pic thread ) . It aint bad in Brum
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
Valrys

I sure have been there, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they had, and ended up impulse buying some trousers which after about a week I realised I didn't actually like >.>
I'll have to make a trip out there sometime again solely for clothes shopping...maybe when I'm all moneyed up again.

I haven't been to that market though, if I'm down that way again I'll make sure to try and search it out
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
gloomth

OOOOOOOOOH!!!

Aw im glad you like my jacket.

As an upside we WILL be doing similar velvet jackets for Atramentous, my new clothing line. We will have velvet and broacade frock coats and im hoping to offer custom velvet blazers almost the same as that one just after Xmas.
gloomth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Methadrine

Ah, speaking of clothing ideas and velvet and coats... anyone know where I could get a coat like the one this nice chap wears for a reasonable price in europe?

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Opteron_Man

Cool

i made some armwarmers out of some cheapie tights. just cut off the crotch part and slid them on my arms and thats it. i love them.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 AM   #13
miss_cadaverous

I always wear tights on my upper half, usually under a vest top that I've painted something on. But I cut the feet off, cut the waist band off and cut a hole in the crotch, then just put it on like a top.

xXx.
miss_cadaverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I only have one set of arm warmers and I bought them, from an asian sock shop.

I just throw on black shorts and whatever t-shirt I can find these days, i have no motivation to dress up at all, and when I do "dress up" it's putting on my good tops...from Myers ( they had a suprisingly good selection of designs one day i went in)
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote