Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #2226
Star of Blight

Well, I just got back from an interesting day at work. Allow me to enlighten you all.

First of all lemme give you a bit of background on the situation. I work for a company in Northern California that doesn't really do anything. That is to say, it's 100% service based. We're an tech outsourcing firm. Some company needs people to debug some software, they hire us. A company needs competent folks who speak english to run a tech support phone center, they hire us. Generally we're a catchall for computer geek stuff. I started a few years ago with this company working on the Sony Online Entertainment account. Yes I realize some of you might be familiar with SOE, they're the branch of Sony that's responsible for all it's MMORPG's like Everquest and such.

Well I got pulled into this company as a temp gig because a couple weeks earlier someone had screwed the pooch on the whole pre-order process for Evercracks first ever expansion, Ruins of Kunark. I don't know many of you know the story, but thousands of orders around the world were either lost, shipped to the wrong place, had the wrong credit cards billed, were billed to much, were billed not at all or just plain didn't show up anywhere. To say the very least, it was a clusterfuck and a half and I (along with a few other poor souls) spent the next three fucking months sorting out the mess and getting these people their god dammed expansion disks.

So after that fiasco I was put over onto the Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN for short) team. Now MSDN is a thing software designers can subscribe too, and it get's them alot of beta and alpha release Microsoft products so that they can use them for test platforms. We were shipping copies of XP to people a year before it hit the shelves, and on DVD no less. Now the people who order this stuff are, as I said software developers and code writers...hardcore computer geeks. Now if you've read my earlier rant you know what I think of code monkies, and this is where it started.

Never before have I seen such a huge pack of slackjawed drooling yokels who couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map. I shit you not, I got hundred, HUNDREDS of calls a day from these brainless retards asking me how to install the software we sent them. And keep in mind this is Microsoft software, a braindead chimp with a dick in it's eye could install this shit! But no, these Computer Science masters degree holding fucktards don't even know how to properly imput a CD/registration key. It's there, printed on a fucking card in big bold letters I mean how can you miss this shit, what are you blind!?

So yeah anyways, I put up with that bullcrap for a while, and I do mean a long while. And then back in September of 03 we get a new account from some Korean company called NCSoft. Now at the time I had never heard of these folks, despite the fact that they run the largest MMORPG in the fucking world. Well in any case, turned out they were doing a sequel to said MMO and were going to be releasing it in the US. For reference, said MMO is called Lineage 2, some of you might have heard of it.

So, because it's well known around the office that I'm a big fan of computer games, I get asked if I want to join the testing team that's being formed for this, mainly to doublecheck the translation job the folks in Korea are doing. Well I had never been a big MMO fan before but I still said yes. It was either that, stay on the MSDN team or switch over to Hewlett Packard tech support, and I'm sorry I don't give a shit about printers.

So I became a tester, and I've been doing it ever since then. First I did Lineage 2, then City of Hero's (god I hate that game, clipping errors from hell), never touched Guild Wars (thank god, otherwise I wouldn't be the rabid GW player I am now) and now I'm working on the next Lineage 2 expansion, then shuffled off to Tabula Rasa...maybe.

So as we all know, I go to work and play video games, and usually I'm not having fun while doing it but hey, 'sall groovy.

Now the office itself looks like your basic callcenter, since that's what most of the people there do. We're all in our little cubicles, each team has it's own little space on the floor. Now the team I'm on here consists of six people, five testers and a supervisor. Each one of us tests out a different aspect and the supervisor makes sure we're actually working. My workstation, well I think the thing was carved from stone by Fred and Barney, the thing has a hard time running NT 4.0 let alone the shit I'm working on. So the company made, what I think, is the greatest choice ever.

Instead of say, going out and spending the money on buying us top of the line rigs...which due to uniformity means they would have to buy a couple hundred of them, the powers that be decided that the few of us who are testing could just as easily do our work from home. That's right, you heard correctly, work from home.

So starting monday me going to work will consist of me rolling out of bet at whatever time I choose, log into the test server and put in a consistant 8 hours of work as monitored by NCSoft. No more having to deal with fucktastic coworkers, no more having to deal with company dress code. I've been outsourced to the extreme. To this all I have to say is....

Thank you, that is all.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #2227
NyQuil of Doom

I -still- have "Bohemian Rhapsody" stuck in my head and it shows no sign of leaving any time soon.

...and ahh, the joys of splitting your, er, personality. I did that once. (OK, ok, it was more than once.)
Old 09-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #2228
Bodnoirbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Did you just make a reference to you possibly having a multiple personality disorder?

i just finished reading Fight Club. i thought it was interesting. i was making reference to how the narrator was always complaining about how he never felt rested and didn't know why. He would say over and over in the book about how he would close his eyes and before he knew it, the morning was there. That's how i felt when i woke up last night.

Anyhow. I had a very interesting call today from some creepy old guy. this guy, his voice wasn't right. it was something you would hear a cartoon charactor use. All the vowels were extended and over emphasized. it was just down right creepy.

Anyhow, after i finished addressing his problem, he asked me "Do you have a husband?" I told him no, could i help him with anything else about his account? He asked "do you have a boyfriend?" yes. "Do you want to hear a joke you can tell him?" Sure.

"Tell your boyfriend that it's National Sex Week and to not let your meat loaf."

Then he hung up. I sat there for like....three minutes, kinda nervously joking. I mean, it's funny right? i just wasn't expecting a sexual joke.

So that was that.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #2229
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars

I felt like that question deserved a visual aid..

ROFLMAO

Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #2230
winged_dreams

Triple fours!

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #2231
Spazik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodnoirbabe
i just finished reading Fight Club. i thought it was interesting..

I know I'm going to offend a few people with this, but Fight Club was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen in my life. It was only passibly lame up until the "uber cool plot twist" at the end, which was so stupid that I actually turned it off and didn't even bother watching the last fifteen minutes or whatever. The movie tried to be cooler than it was and failed miserably, in my opinion. "I am Jack's rage". Wow, what a deep analogy. Haha, look at Brad Pitt jacking off in the soup, how funny! "Hey, theres a guy in the parking lot punching himself in the face. Let's make him the leader of our anarchist movement!". God, what a dumb movie.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #2232
AlKilyu

Prom from hell
Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #2233
Bodnoirbabe

holy crap! Where did that happen at?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 AM   #2234
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star of Blight

And keep in mind this is Microsoft software, a braindead chimp with a dick in it's eye could install this shit!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Even funnier cuz it's TRUE!!!

That heart-warming story makes all of those years I worked as a Printer Tech Lead for Okidata (SHUDDER) ALMOST worthwhile..

The purchase of a Home PC should be a PRIVLEGE and not a RIGHT!!!

I whole-heartedly believe that there should be MANDATORY IQ TESTING before ANY of these Chode Nibblers should be able to purchase a computer..

I also would like to see FREE endless amounts of Valium and high quality Hydro for the poor schmucks that are forced to develop deadly brain aneurisms on a daily basis in the Tech Industry dealing with these brainless Dildo's..

I cannot count how many of these conversations I have had..

Me: " Sir is the PC on?? "

Braindead Chode Nibbler #54545 " It has to be on?? "

Me: (Pushes mute and swears loudly) " Yes sir, it has to be on.. "

Braindead Chode Nibbler #54545 " Should I plug it in first? "

Me: " Sir, do you still have the box your PC came in? "

Braindead Chode Nibbler #54545: " Why, yes I sure do.."

Me: " Thats great sir.. Now get the PC, put it back in the box it came in, and seal it shut with PLENTY of tape. When you're done with that, take it to the Post Office and send it back to WHEREVER you got it from.."

Braindead Chode Nibbler #54545: " Will that fix my problem?? "

Me: " No, but it'll fix mine!!"

Click...

Hello?? Hello?

Douchebag..

Congratulations on being able to game test in your Ball Gag now..

And there was much rejoicing...

Huzzah..

Last edited by Empty_Purple_Stars; 09-02-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #2235
MrMaelstrom

Don't have the time to watch all those blockbusters and cult films everybody raves about?

That's ok, 'cause you can go to movie in a minute.

A whole film condensed for you in a minute. Go there, it's hilarious!!! I recommend Speed, Matrix and Titanic....

http://rinkworks.com/movieaminute/
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #2236
Spazik

^That's awesome. Yet another way to increase my poser-ness!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #2237
Fuckedup

hmm, another forum site, and once again im a newb, damn.
i'm good.
oh look a bug, eugh its a big bug.
food? perhaps.

random thoughts going through my mind as allways
Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #2238
Spazik

Spandex is a privledge, not a right!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #2239
Spazik

Haha look at my new avatar it's a goat.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #2240
Spazik

me and my friend that works at chevron with me always giggle about the phrase "Banana Nut" when somebody buys a muffin. We're pretty immature.

One day somebody came in and bought a banana nut and a honey coated bun. We had a good laugh about that one.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #2241
Jane13

I'm converting to Catholocism. I start catechism classes Tuesday. My parents are agnostic, even though they were raised christian. I'm not sure what they think, but it's a personal thing.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #2242
winged_dreams

My grandmother makes banana bread pudding. It sounds weird and the bananas take on some odd shade of grey but it tastes quite good.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #2243
NyQuil of Doom

mmm, banana bread... *drools*

And Banana Nut isn't nearly as funny as Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #2244
Kettu

so my girlfriend broke up with me. before this, we had a fight because i used to date her best friend and was still talking to her. I know i know, shame on me. oh, wate.. i forgot to say the friend lives about 80 miles away.

So we kinda just not talk about the friend issue, untill today. when i find out her new boyfriend is my best friend. she doesnt understand why im pissed.

Im not mad because they are dating. I hope the live long and have kids, Im mad because she did something I was yelled at for thinking about. what the fuck...
Old 09-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #2245
winged_dreams

Talking to someone you used to date shouldn't be a big deal. A person I was involved with at one point is now one of my good friends and my fiance doesn't care if I hang out with him. Perhaps more trust was needed. Don't mind my random comments.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #2246
AlKilyu

I probably shouldn't post this here, but I am so disgusted, and EPS if you think it's not appropriate go ahead and delete this, but usually these types of tragedies bring out the best in people.

Like I said earlier, Poppy Z Brite lives down there. I told Nickypoo "you should lay off her or send her your condolences."

His response?

From: "Nickolaus Pacione" <nickolauspacione@earthlink.net> Add to Address Book
To: "Al Kilyu" <al_kilyu@**********>
Subject: I still hate her
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 01:53:04 -0500

I was going to send her a lifejacket.

Fucking sick disgusting envious little bastard.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:55 AM   #2247
edible_eye

i took a piss tonight and shook it off after i finished. when i stuck it back into my pants, sure enough some extra dribbled out. i hate the feeling of damp denim around the crotch.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #2248
Bodnoirbabe

So freaking hungry! My head is starting to hurt.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #2249
edible_eye

Old 09-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #2250
Bodnoirbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
yeah! just like that, but without the retro-seventies haircut. How you doing, E_E? I missed talking to ya.

Moderator edit: BODNOIR, you know perfectly well that we don't divulge people's private names without their consent. You're pushing it... (Maël)

Last edited by MrMaelstrom; 09-04-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Closed Thread