Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
~Oblivion~

Unhappy Is it ok to wear gothic if the person is fat?

Hello all, im new here...

Im not sure its appropiate to post under this thread. Mod or anyone, please guide me. thank you ^_^

Something's bothering at all times..
I love wearing Gothic but the problem is me that i am fat. Im not that fat, before i used to be overweight and i lost many Kilo's the last few month, now the main problem is i still have those excess flabby at my waist and its uncomfortable . Is it alright to wear goth and when a person is fat? Also, its alright for me to wear gothic, becoz im tall and big size?
I tried to ignore when people walk past me.. is it alright also if someone alone wears gothic go out too?

Can someone please enlighten me.. Also, may i know what's those face white
powder you know when ppl apply their face and it stays the way when they apply make-up?

Thank you

Regards
God bless all of you~
~Oblivion~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
AngelikDemonik

Wear whatever makes YOU happy, dear. You don't have to be thin to wear Goth clothes, and you don't have to be thin to look nice either. Just make sure that whatever it is that you're wearing fits you properly. Even a very thin person can look horrible in badly fitting clothes.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
~Oblivion~

Smile hello there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Wear whatever makes YOU happy, dear. You don't have to be thin to wear Goth clothes, and you don't have to be thin to look nice either. Just make sure that whatever it is that you're wearing fits you properly. Even a very thin person can look horrible in badly fitting clothes.

Thank you.. Now i feel much better..
I will always keep that in mind~
God bless you always~

*Peace*
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

There's nothing wrong with dressing goth at any size. Most people would probably tell you to not wear things that are too small, but that applies to anyone.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
~Oblivion~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
There's nothing wrong with dressing goth at any size. Most people would probably tell you to not wear things that are too small, but that applies to anyone.

Oh, i see..

I think i can learn a lot from all of you..
This forum is very helpful.. indeed~
I think i will benefit a lot from this helpful forum and with these helpful forumers.. =)
thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Miss_Hazie_Lane

No one is too fat to be goth, I mean case and point Robert Smith. However, on the topic of white face powder, I'd recommend no using white as it's hard to blend if you, yourself are not pretty much white to start out with. Instead I'd recommend using a pale foundation one to two shades lighter than your skin tone. I like mineral foundations myself, some good ones can be found here:
http://www.fyrinnae.com/index.php?cP...7f34a7f6a745f7
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
kimaru

Try also to not wear things that are too big because they can make you look bigger...I have that problem, I've lost some weight and now all my clothes are too big
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
~Oblivion~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimaru
Try also to not wear things that are too big because they can make you look bigger...I have that problem, I've lost some weight and now all my clothes are too big

haha.. i get it... thanx a lot
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
~Oblivion~

[quote=Miss_Hazie_Lane]No one is too fat to be goth, I mean case and point Robert Smith. However, on the topic of white face powder, I'd recommend no using white as it's hard to blend if you, yourself are not pretty much white to start out with. Instead I'd recommend using a pale foundation one to two shades lighter than your skin tone. I like mineral foundations myself, some good ones can be found here:
QUOTE]

ty for the link...
Hmm, foundation... Maybe i will try the mineral foundation.. Not too expensive or cheap.. But certain people are allergy to different facial products too right?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Mineral foundation is hypoallergenic and non-pour clogging, which is why I reccomend it
Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
electrosexual

Go for it babes. Wear whatever you want Goth's great for fat people though because black's slimming ^-^.

If you're concerned about perhaps looking like you're showing too much, then just steer clear of things like tight tight drainpipes and PVC + latex.

X
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
honeythorn

It can be done. I would like to think I do it reasonably well and I am a UK size 20. As Electro said, avoid Vinyl, pvc, latex and tight fitting satin. Velvet is a very forgiving fabric I have found, as is lace.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
electrosexual

Big girls, you are beautiful! ^,^
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
miss_cadaverous

Didn't think I'd see a quote from a Mika song on these boards lol.

I'm also not Little Miss Stick, I have curves, and I know it's annoying when you love soemething and an't wear it as you feel uncomfortable in it, but as what's been said already, just wear what YOU think looks good and what makes YOU feel good. Just go for it! Ignore everyone else, just listen to you.

^__^

xXx.
miss_cadaverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Duane

Dress how you want, if people give you any trouble, ignore them. As long as your comfortable with how you dress, don't let it bother you. I mean, people will always have their opinions, why let it bother you?
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
Opteron_Man

what? why wouldn't you?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
WarumonoLady

I say wear whatever you want! ;D

Although, I have heard good things about the Torrid clothing line. They are plus sized but I'm not sure if they carry tall sizes.

To get white stuff to stay on my face I use that Bloody Mary finishing powder, I wet the sponge, drag it through the powder and belnd it into my face. I also use Coty Airspun powder in "Naturelle".

Oh dear, it's seems I have endorsed Hot Topic AND Bloody Mary products in the same post. I await flagellation.

(Don't feel bad about having to buy gothic clothes from souless chain stores in the mall. I can't sew my own clothes, I don't know anyone that sews, I can't buy offline and nothing bad has happened to me, yet.)
WarumonoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

Just because you're fat doesn't mean you should feel you don't deserve to look good. On the contrary, wear whatever you think makes you look good and keep striving to look better.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #19
WarumonoLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Just because you're fat doesn't mean you should feel you don't deserve to look good. On the contrary, wear whatever you think makes you look good and keep striving to look better.

All the thin girls on the Style network say black has a slimming effect, anyway. xD
WarumonoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
honeythorn

Only if you stand against a dark background. Otherwise it is no better than any other colour of clothing. Believe me, I have done it.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #21
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Big girls, you are beautiful! ^,^
I can promise you there is nothing beautiful about it.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #22
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Very true. Dressing well can do wonders for appearance and self esteem, and goth is a very fashion forward subculture (once you get beyond the mansonite mall goths)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
Solumina

the first thing is to find what you think you look good in and if you don't know what that is then take someone shopping with you for a WHOLE day and have them pick out things for you to try on, and you have to try on whatever they pick as long as it comes in your size (even if it is really crazy and/or way out of your price range, the point is to find good looks for you even if you don't buy it then and there). This will pull you way out of what you normally try and is fun (there is some very strange clothing out there and it will make you at least giggle even after you are really, really tired of boring dressing room music)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #24
~Oblivion~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian

Thank you.. Im relieved~
Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #25
~Oblivion~

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Go for it babes. Wear whatever you want Goth's great for fat people though because black's slimming ^-^.

If you're concerned about perhaps looking like you're showing too much, then just steer clear of things like tight tight drainpipes and PVC + latex.

X

But not so fat people la... Goth's great. but too fat/obese cannot make it , i think...
If only i lived in the US, or in the UK.. then would be great. Unlike in my country here, i lived in S'pore.. So our community isnt very big. And when you wear gothic, there will be stares everywhere and every minute.
But our country here is trendy, but very very few people knows what goth is, some thinks that others that dresses gothic = Cosplayers.. they couldnt differentiate both gothic fashion / cosplayer.. ya, you see...

Slowly i hope, goth fashion will hit the industry one day...
I <3 Gothic always...