Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
KontanKarite

The Golden Compass

The movie... blows.

How is Hollywood going to painstakingly make movies like Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter into decent book to movie translations and FAIL so miserably hard on The Golden Compass? The book is fucking amazing. It's like a gas lamp fantasy book with lots of victorian and steam imagery in it. But the movie just fails. It fails so hard.

Do yourself a favor. Ignore the movie all together and just read the book.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Cen0bite

I never read the book but i saw it Friday night. I thought it was pretty good.
The part where both bears are fighting and the one bear punches the others jaw right off..i mean, wow..i didn't see that coming.
i admit though, the fighting scenes and stuff seemed to kinda drag on a bit. But other than that, i liked it.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
KontanKarite

I assure you, each character has VASTLY more personality than what was portrayed in the movie. If you read even one chapter of the book, you'll know what I mean.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Miss Cogs

I haven't seen both. But I was actually rather looking forward to seeing it. Prehaps I might reconsider. =/

Nevertheless, I'll probably end up seeing it eventually. But I'll more then likely read the book.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Rorschach Twin

I want to see it just because of all the controversy. Hell yes, I'm a tool.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Miss Cogs

Ah, the religion contraversy? Where they say its anti-religion and pro-aethism?
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Rorschach Twin

yeah. I heard it was all bull, because that sort of thing doesn't come out until the third book?
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
KontanKarite

The idea is that kids kill "god".

Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
ForgetThisLostLenore

I think the movie followed the book better than many of these books turned films do. They did change a few things as far as I saw, and I haven't read the book in a while, but you have to understand the freedom one has with words. With a book, one can see in the mind of the character, and with a good writer, can become the character, sharing every little feeling. In movies, they can't portray that as easily, since the character's feelings are shown by their actions or dialogue. Yes the book is magnificent, but I believe it was amazing in detail compared to some of the movies.

Harry Potter movies can get to be pretty bad, with changing directors, I mean, Hogwarts doesn't even stay the same with every movie. Eragon...don't even go near that. This director did mangae to get at least pieces of the characters, and seeing as they didn't make it 3-4 hours long, they did pretty well for a book that length.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
KontanKarite

Dude... GC was the length of a standard novel. The same length as at least Lord Of The Rings or maybe less.

Sheesh. The characters.... Have no personality in the movie at all.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
dark_dragon_of_ice

I heard they didn't have any of the religious stuff the books had...pity I loved the books.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #12
clockworkcoffin

could it possibly be any more anti-dogmatic religion? i think not. and while i am a christian and do NOT approve of the catholic church, it still comes off as being rather biased.

that aside, i really can't complain. the acting was solid, the score was superb and i only had a small beef with the voice acting for pan. it just sounded a bit electronic.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Lapin

I can complain. I wanted it to be more anti-religious! The book is a criticism on religion, you can't just cut it out to keep the protestors away.

Let them come, I say. Give me a good, hard laugh.

That said, I enjoyed the movie. It was entertaining, at least.

By the way Clockwork, there's this amazing button on your keyboard called a Shift key. It capitalizes letters so that your sentences are written properly. I suggest you find it.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
clockworkcoffin

sorry lapin, due to the nature of my job i do not use capital letters. i'm something like an operator and it would throw off my words per minute. no need to get snappy.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
sorry lapin, due to the nature of my job i do not use capital letters. i'm something like an operator and it would throw off my words per minute. no need to get snappy.
Out of interest did you read the books?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Shadows_Jukebox

The books lacked style and were greatly under dramatized, although the idea was amazing.

The movie was just dribble, with a few well known faces and flashy graphics to make it worth watching.
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #17
clockworkcoffin

no dark dragon i have not read the books. i am curious as to what that has to do with my grammatical choices.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

nothing at all...just explains to me why you couldn't understand its anti religious stand compared to the the movies and also why you seemed to not be disappointed.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #19
clockworkcoffin

i see. after watching the film i did search wikipedia for information about the books and author and i realize the extremely anti-religious nature of both.

i also understand that the books were disturbingly better than the film. now, i'm a christian, so of course i'm a bit put off by the whole thing but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate the literary skill of the author. after all, harry potter is simply chock full of occult references but i still enjoyed them to the extent that i can read one in a single night.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #20
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
i see. after watching the film i did search wikipedia for information about the books and author and i realize the extremely anti-religious nature of both.

i also understand that the books were disturbingly better than the film. now, i'm a christian, so of course i'm a bit put off by the whole thing but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate the literary skill of the author. after all, harry potter is simply chock full of occult references but i still enjoyed them to the extent that i can read one in a single night.
I recommend reading it rather then reading what other people wrote about it in wikipedia.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
clockworkcoffin

i would but in all honesty i'm reading like five other books right now. maybe later k?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #22
crucifix

My mother thinks this movie will turn all the kids in the world into atheists. Just like Harry Potter made 98% of children witches and satanists. Oh, wait, Harry Potter didn't? Guess this won't either.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
My mother thinks this movie will turn all the kids in the world into atheists. Just like Harry Potter made 98% of children witches and satanists. Oh, wait, Harry Potter didn't? Guess this won't either.
Damn. Here you got my hopes up and all for a more sensible population. *disappointed*

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Lapin

I just found the feral little girl greatly entertaining.

Though the polar bear knocking the other's jaw off scared me. My friend and I jumped, gasped and grabbed on to one another. Neither of us were expecting that. (Yes, I am just that easily startled)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote