Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #26
Morbideus

I am very pale becuase I work nights, and burn very easily, so I avoid the sun.

Every Coke has it's Pepsi, McDonald's has Burger King, the Sun has the Moon. There is always a choice to make, I choose the Moon.
I know, that was pointless, but who cares?

Any way, cuacasion people are prone to pale skin, so some choose to take this to the extreme and get as pale as they can. Nothing racial about it, just working within one's natural tendency. Personally, if I was prone to dark skin, I would try and get as goddam dark as I possibly could, and be like a living shadow. That would be cool...
Morbideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #27
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Oh and Al, I missed that "joke" the first time I read through. But it's sooooooo not funny.

I thought it was, as did e_e, so really that's all that counts.

That and the pretencious preaching that occurs about everyone joining hands and singing "Kumbuya" be countered with equal obnoxiousness.
Oh, you did not just make a hippy reference at me, luv!
:P

It's just something that alot of people 1) Don't realize or 2) Don't care about. I have to admit that it bothers the hell outta me that someone (of any race) would think that they need to look like something they're not just to "fit in". Fuck that!

Why should it be met with obnoxiousness? Can't we all just get along?

:wink:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #28
OnixxFilth

Yes, it certainly is an art, learning how to walk in high-heeled or platform boots! As far as pallor goes, I've found an easy way to maximize it without looking like a clown. Just go for a shade of foundation a tad bit lighter than your natural skin color! At least it works for me.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #29
tekajo

im a goth of colour.
im a fucked up goth of colour, im a NARG (Native American Redneck Goth) and i like my nice natural tanned ass. actually, my ass is pretty pale.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #30
WolfMoon

NARG!

That's a funny word.

:lol:
Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #31
tekajo

Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but isn't a cucumber that small called a gerkin?

Narf!
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #32
WolfMoon

Pinky, I'm going to have to hurt you now.......

Old 06-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #33
dreamydancer

Heheheehee!

I remember watiching that as a kid. I don't think that Brain ever succeeded
in his mission to take over the world.
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #34
WolfMoon

He did, actually. It was the Chia Earth episode. Everyone went to Chia Earth for free T-shirts(Dey gots dem free t-shirts!!!) and left Pinky and Brain on Earth by themselves.
Not the kind of dictatorship Brain wanted.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #35
Soul_Immortal

Pinky and the Brain...you know, there's just something sexy about a talking mouse....

*Soul*
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #36
OnixxFilth

Hmm, NARG is an interesting word that I've never heard before. I like learning new words!
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:12 AM   #37
tekno_suicide

I'm mexi-goth.
tekno_suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #38
Spazik

My friend is a mexican/indian effimnate gayboy, but he's more vampy than industrial.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
Peter

Redneck and goth.
Pale and black.

You know, I've seen the latter but never the former.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #40
BoleroBelle

I dont think gothic people are rascist at all. I mean, you make it sound like we're actively excluding black people from teh gothic culture. That is so not true. i know plenty of blakc people who are gothic.

The problem is that a lot of Black people dont identify with the gothic culture. It's as simple as that.

Why try to turn it into a racial thing?
BoleroBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:30 AM   #41
Peter

It's bad enough trying to make goth and industrial into one thing.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #42
| BlackOps | couch

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/image...ts/RAU0002.jpg
| BlackOps | couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #43
Spookycreep

Hello. Goths of color. Is there anybody still here?
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #44
Catch

I don't know what the big deal is. The actors on tv are always tan not pale as a ghost. Vampires are supposed to stay the same as they were when bitten, so there is no real reason to not be tan. Goths are not vampires; therefore, avoiding sunlight is lame. The whole thing doesn't make sense; however, I think the gal in the photo is leaning vampire. They have a unique look.

The bigger issue is around why tv and film get locked into one look, knowing people enjoy seeing a ressemblence to themselves and friends in popular shows. Sure, maybe a person outside the scene just watched films, but someone in the scene is whatever, whomever they are and don't really care if there is a movie about them or not.

I watched A Vampire in Brooklyn the other day. It is way different than Vampire in Burbank, but it cast Eddie Murphy in the lead role. It is a fun movie. The vampires come from the Carribean and one of the Wayne brothers is in it. I don't think it was Marlon or Dwayne.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #45
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I don't know what the big deal is. The actors on tv are always tan not pale as a ghost. Vampires are supposed to stay the same as they were when bitten, so there is no real reason to not be tan. Goths are not vampires; therefore, avoiding sunlight is lame. The whole thing doesn't make sense; however, I think the gal in the photo is leaning vampire. They have a unique look.
You're forgetting the death part, in case you hadn't noticed, corpses tend to be pale, and vampires are the undead after all. Bodies of light skinned people turn pale within 2 hours after death, due to lack of blood flow causing the blood to flow with gravity to whatever parts of the body are closest to the ground. In the case of a blood drained corpse this would probably happen even faster. Blood is an big part of our skin color.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #46
Catch

I don't want to look like a corpse. Anyway, even this assumption pale is better is also off kelter. People prefer a mystique, sometimes the mystique is edgey. This implies a lot of things.

BTW, Hadeem Hardison plays the Goul. Looks kind of like Marlon Wayne, playing the Joc in Scary Movie, in the beginning before turning into more a zombie character. However, it does not matter because people do not have to have a star to verify there existence. In addition, type-casting is whatever and judging someone based on having a similarity to an actor/actress playing a role in a movie is just insane.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #47
Renatus

Quote:
I don't want to look like a corpse. Anyway, even this assumption pale is better is also off kelter. People prefer a mystique, sometimes the mystique is edgey. This implies a lot of things.

BTW, Hadeem Hardison plays the Goul. Looks kind of like Marlon Wayne, playing the Joc in Scary Movie, in the beginning before turning into more a zombie character. However, it does not matter because people do not have to have a star to verify there existence. In addition, type-casting is whatever and judging someone based on having a similarity to an actor/actress playing a role in a movie is just insane.
Well you're forgetting the fact that vampires are monsters, the undead. Vampirism is a curse, damnation, an abomination of that which is good, curses aren't meant to cater to what one wants, they are meant to cause SUFFERING.
Did Dracula ever ask if anyone wanted to look like a corpse before he turned them.. no he turned whoever he wanted to whenever he wanted to, damning them to a hellish life as a perversion of who they once were for all of eternity. Dracula was a horror story for Christ's sake.

Dracula of course is based on even older legends stemming from a lack of understanding of the decomposition of the human body. Be glad Stoker didn't completely accurately copy all the attributes of the original vampire legend, or we'd have extremely hairy fat vampires instead of the ones we know best. Bela Lugosi certainly wouldn't have qualified for such a role, and Bauhaus would then not have had him as the basis for their music. Goth as we know it might have never come about if Stoker went for complete accuracy to the legend, meaning that quite possibly none of us would have ever met due to gnet never being created.

I would hardly associate a tan vampire with mystique and edginess, those words being reserved for things which are uncommon, which a tan is not.

Also "BTW, Hadeem Hardison plays the Goul"It's spelt "Ghoul". Goul apparently is an old name for the safe zone in a game of tag.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #48
Catch

If you want to review the entire history, Ann Rice and other writters trace vampires back to Egypt. The first were said to be Pharohs who were Black. In fact, they were so black they were a dark golden bronze under the hot Egyptian Sun. The later vampires were too weak to walk out in the sunlight so they ran from to the shadows.

So dark skin in relation to this imagery could be very powerful. Of course I want to remind everyone....

YOU'RE NOT REALLY VAMPIRES!!!

(this is a goth forum.)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #49
Catch

Queen of the Damned trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xukBtLFDk
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #50
Renatus

Quote:
If you want to review the entire history, Ann Rice and other writters trace vampires back to Egypt. The first were said to be Pharohs who were Black. In fact, they were so black they were a dark golden bronze under the hot Egyptian Sun. The later vampires were too weak to walk out in the sunlight so they ran from to the shadows.

So dark skin in relation to this imagery could be very powerful. Of course I want to remind everyone....

YOU'RE NOT REALLY VAMPIRES!!!

(this is a goth forum.)
Actually no, the Egypt stuff Ann Rice and others use is completely made up and has no roots in Egypt. In fact as far as I've seen, Egypt is one of the few societies without a vampire legend of some sort. Though the vampyre legends actually predate Egypt.
I read all of Rice's vampire stories years ago, before I even joined gnet, so I do know what you're talking about.