Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #26
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Damn right I'm a literary snob! Most of my values are liberal, but when it comes to literature I'm a total fascist.

Harry Potter doing better than more literary novels........ reality TV doing better than stimulating TV series or (gasp!) educational documentaries........ the country's culture of celebrity, rather than making heroes of people who actually deserve respect........ it's all a symptom of the same disease: stupidity. You can tell me I shouldn't be anti-stupid, but I think you'd be better off asking why anti-intellectualism is strong enough in this country that we elected George Bush, learned our lesson - then did it again. It sure wasn't the brains of voters he was appealing to.

Also, my library is like six-four and works out.
I agree. There is an increase in specialization, while at the same time a decline in "elementary" education. Another example:

"This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 from Salina, Kansas. It was taken from the
original
document on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, Kansas and
reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, Kansas - 1895
Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
7-10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the
practical
use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it
hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu, deducting 1050 lbs. for
tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school
seven
Page 2
08/09/2006 02:36 AM
8thgrade
Page 2 of 4
http://www.freedomdomain.com/8thgrade.html
months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $.20 per inch?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?
Orthography (Time, one hour)
1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication?
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
Page 3
8thgrade
Page 3 of 4
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate
letters, linguals?
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi,
post, non,
inter, mono, super.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates
the
sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein,
raze,
raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical
marks
and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of N.A.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St.
Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
Page 4
8thgrade
Page 4 of 4
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.

Imagine a college student who went to public school trying to pass this test, even if the few
outdated
questions were modernized. Imagine their professors even being able to pass the 8th Grade. Can
Americans, student and professor alike, get back up to the 8th Grade level of 1895?
I seriously doubt there is anyone in America who could pass this simple test. Some
professors could pass the subjects they have a doctorate in, but they would fail the rest."

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #27
Apathy's_Child

Well, I used to be a little hesitant about my literary fascism, but then I read this one book called Where Have All the Intellectuals Gone? Confronting 21st Century Philistinism, that this guy at college gave me, saying he figured it was my kind of thing. The guy's arguments just blew me away. He raised the point that in attempting to eradicate elitism from education systems, you also eradicate standards. I think he does a great job of demonstrating incidences in which elitism is a good thing. You might like it, HP - he also talks about how even college professors nowadays tend to have a specialized subject area, but lack a rounded education, and would probably be unable to complete that test.

Back to topic - Bukowski is number 11. I'm glad so many people here like him, he's another one who was looked doen on a lot at college (one of many reasons I dropped out was the snobbery, which is different to elitism). I toyed with Camus, but since I prefer the philosophy to the fiction I'm saving him for the Top 10 philosophers thread I may make some time in the future.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #28
Methadrine

No one reads T.S Eliot? Shame, shame on you. He's great. He's among my top 10 for sure. (No, not reading him just because Eldritch does.) The only poet which works I can read cover to cover.

Just read *this*.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #29
weepingblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
And I suggest you buy a grown-up book, before you regress any further into a state of infancy than your avatar suggests you already have.
Lots of grown ups read Harry Potter, you are just being rude for no reason.
weepingblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #30
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepingblood
Lots of grown ups read Harry Potter, you are just being rude for no reason.
Lots of grown-ups are morons. See my above address to HumanePain. All this proves is that you're in good company, as there are millions of stupid people in this country alone.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #31
weepingblood

Fine whatever you say, obviously you are an idiot and there is no point trying to discuss things with you.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #32
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Fine whatever you say, obviously you are an idiot and there is no point trying to discuss things with you.
Well that's me put back in my place - clearly you are a linguistic genius and any attempt to engage you in debate is fruitless. With that flawless argument, you win - you've demonstrated the superior intellect, and I shall show my acceptance of this by ignoring you in this thread............ because I'm more interested in the favourite authors of other members than in your inane drivel.

Thank you so much.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #33
weepingblood

Whatever you say, you are obviously extremly stupid and closedminded about things other people than you like, I'm not going to bother trying to save you from yourself as you don't deserve to have your mind expanded. Enjoy your corrupt universe.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #34
badteccy

I don't feel like listing 10...
I love Emily Dickinson. Her poetry is simple and lovely.
Sylvia Plath is pretty great. I've loved Poe since first grade.
I also really enjoy Amy Tan.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #35
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Forgot to mention my authors in all the hubbub:

Saint Paul: Damn that guy can write, and inspire! I read his stuff every night. Uplifiting and calming. Oh wait, we were not supposed to list non-fiction were we?

Samuel Johnson: such vocabulary and articulation! He coins many phrases, of which my favorite is "language is the dress of thought". And his compositions run from novellas to playful tombstone epitaphs.

Moses: He utterly captures the attention of the reader, making one wonder what will happen next!

Edgar Allan Poe: I actually love him for his satire as much as his Gothic Romance, hilarious, and when I am in the mood, somber and melancholic.

Robert Frost: such use of symbolism! Yet down to earth.

John Milton: Again, the use of symbolism is magnificent, but he used it in the context of conversation and diatribe of his characters (e.g. Samson Agonistes).

Ray Bradbury: Such colorful description, his style is probably the closest to my own.

Ann Radcliffe: No one makes me want to live in the past more than this woman! When men were men and women were women. A darn good arrangement!

Horace Walpole: mentioned out of respect.

H.G. Wells: No one else goes to such lengths to fold a single moral into such long stories! He captures the imagination with original yet seemingly familiar archetypes.

Jane Austen: From the depths of the cruelties of life and fate to the heights of love, glorious!

And many others, but this is all I have time for now. Back to work.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #36
JCC

Quote:
Whatever you say, you are obviously extremly stupid and closedminded about things other people than you like, I'm not going to bother trying to save you from yourself as you don't deserve to have your mind expanded. Enjoy your corrupt universe.
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote