Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
Luthian

Question Second Life

Second Life: what do you think? Does anyone here have an SL account?
Luthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
Post Modern Girl

I dont have an account but Ive heard a great deal about it.
Some people criticise it for being a place where people can commit all sorts of online crimes, like grooming and stealing peoples money.
They also say it's just a place for people who are unhappy with their life to escape and that if provides delusional people with an unrealistic persception of how life should be.
I don't mean to criticise it myself, thats just what Ive heard from the media. I wouldn't mind checking it out myself.
How do you find it?
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
Luthian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Modern Girl
I dont have an account but Ive heard a great deal about it.
Some people criticise it for being a place where people can commit all sorts of online crimes, like grooming and stealing peoples money.
They also say it's just a place for people who are unhappy with their life to escape and that if provides delusional people with an unrealistic persception of how life should be.
I don't mean to criticise it myself, thats just what Ive heard from the media. I wouldn't mind checking it out myself.
How do you find it?
Well, the internet is full of crime, no matter what corner you call home. As with MMO's many people lose themselves in their virtual reality. However, if you're a designer, there is a lot of money to be made in SL. And if a lot of your friends are on there, it serves as somewhat of a virtual chat room... except you have far more interactions possible... and if you don't like the ones in the game, you can make your own.

I like second life for it's design opportunities, but it has many uses; from design to BDSM dungeons.

you can find the download client here

As far as stealing people's money... you gotta be careful who you buy from, naturally. Bob's Big Giant Discount Hut may not be the best place to try and purchase items.

Like most online experiences (IM, chat rooms, forums, MMO's, etc) it is what you make of it. :shrug:
Luthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Post Modern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthian
As far as stealing people's money... you gotta be careful who you buy from, naturally. Bob's Big Giant Discount Hut may not be the best place to try and purchase items:
With a name like that I would think so !
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
KontanKarite

It struck me as kinda lame. Would you believe it? I'd rather play Sims.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Dead Angel

I read the Second Life Herald regularly. (Oh! Gotta check it again.)

It depends on the creatiojn interface. I saw one I really loved in a program called NanoHome back in the 00's and if it is similar I'd be happy to use it.

I'm also watching the OpenLife project using the recently released OpenSim technology. That looks keen.
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
Post Modern Girl

I decided to get an account and downloaded the "game" or "interface" or whatever it is called. I appear to be having problems with it though. It takes a very annoyingly long time to load and when it does it freezes alot and fucks up anything else I happen to be doing at the time. is this a problem with my computer or the program?

Every other program runs smoothly so I don't think I have failed to meet their system requirements. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Draconysius

I've got an account, username is Edward Szydlowska. SL does take a fast machine to run, and a fast internet connection at that, since just about everything in the game environment is user-made.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Born Again

I used to play, but I recently purchased a new laptop and SL always crashes when I load it. I couldn't figure out why, so I gave up.

My user name is Brittany Dwi
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Zavulon

Second Life is dumb to me. It's like IRC with Graphics. And the game itself is a resource hog. Even with a good computer (2ghz processor, 1GB Ram, and some nvidia card that was made in the past 2 years[wasnt my laptop i was on])it was acting shitty to me.
Zavulon is offline   Reply With Quote