Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
haz3

yeah i need some help on a new look

yeah i need some help on finding a new hairstyle and some kind of makeup that might make me look better. can someone help me out if you want to know what i look like so you can get an idea go to vampirefreaks, go to profiles and browse users at the very top and once you get there go to the bottom and type in haz3. once you get to my profile click on where it says me

i think i do look ok but still i think there might be more that i can do. plus my girlfriend is being bitchey because shes getting tired of my look.
haz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Tea and Cake or Death

Oh, darlin. Have you done the intro thread yet? Go! Intro Thread! Save your ass! Don't forget to answer the survey!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz3
yeah i need some help on finding a new hairstyle and some kind of makeup that might make me look better. can someone help me out if you want to know what i look like so you can get an idea go to vampirefreaks, go to profiles and browse users at the very top and once you get there go to the bottom and type in haz3. once you get to my profile click on where it says me

i think i do look ok but still i think there might be more that i can do. plus my girlfriend is being bitchey because shes getting tired of my look.
Sorry, bud, I'm with your girl on this one. It looks like not only is she tired of you being such a stereotype but judging by your profile, also by the fact that you seem so unmotivated and angry at everything.

I hate to sound like a broken record but head here with the quickness:
http://www.razorwire.com/real-goth-faq/ and http://www.gothic-charm-school.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

Well, how about trying to look goth rather than mallgoth?
I'm about to give you some GOOD but very condescending advice. If you ignore the sarcasm, you'll see that by following my steps you'll be cool for once (example#1)
Ok, so here it goes:
1) Look into your closet
2) See everything that costs more than $40 and avoid it from now on.
3) Everything that has spikes or chains which were bought that way, meaning you weren't the one that put them, you should also consider whether it's really necessary to wear them. Studs are okay for no particular reason except that I like them and I'm the closest thing to a god in this world.
4) Rethink your musical tastes. Ask yourself "why do I listen to this type of music?" Be skeptic of what you call gothic and punk, because even though I'm being prejudist by saying this, you're probably wrong. Go download Soulseek and find some good bands.
Here's a small list of what you should look for:
Gothic rock:
Bauhaus
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
Sisters of Mercy
Specimen
Southern Death Cult
Joy Division
Deathrock:
Shadow Project
Christian Death
Cinema Strange
45 Grave
Darkwave:
The Cruxshadows
Dead Can Dance
Diary of Dreams
Punk:
The Deep Eynde
Dead Kennedys
Oi Polloi
Against All Authority
You might also like the band Tragic Black, which is frowned upon by many goths but is a nice stepping stone from your style to the gothic style.
5) As you're asking for help in fashion, look closely at deathrock bands. Their flamboyancy mark the epitome of goth awesomeness, even if it's superficial and materialistic. Look at how Rozz Williams from Christian Death and Johnny Slut from Specimen and the guys from The Deep Eynde and All Gone Dead Look, and try to get inspiration, or if you're downright desperate, emulate them to a T.
6) Go to your nearest thrift shop and get in touch with your primordial human instincts of foraging. About half of my wardrobe comes from two epic successful excursions to two thrift stores, and I'm very picky on my clothing.
7) In the thrift store, get anything that attracts your fancy, even if it's too big for you. Pants are better to find in the women section for me. Get a good cheap jacket, leather or otherwise.
8) Go to a lady's department and buy some fishnets and tights (not recommended to buy them in a thrift shop!)
9) You go back at your place, and either learn to use a sewing machine or sew by hand. The internet offers a big number of sites that will teach you DIY 101. With that you'll be ready to personalize your clothes.
10) Get creative. Type DIY on google or look for pictures of deathrockers or punk jackets. See what they do and try to do it. You'll see that most of them have torn their shirts here and there in a pleasing look, have written stuff, have sown handmade patches, buttons, et cetera, into their clothes. No DIYed shirt is identical to anything else. We also like wearing ripped fishnets in layers, as in these pictures:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://www.strobelight-records.com/s...d/newspic2.jpg
11) As for make-up, don't ever to The Crow's eyes or running mascara again. Friends don't let friends dress like The Crow. Use just enough eyeliner to complement your eyes at most. Painting your nails black is already borderline poseur.
12) Most definitely, don't use that white dust-mask again. I doubt you have a respiratory conditions, and you're definitely not drawing political graffiti or expecting to be gassed by the cops. It's a pointless accessory and an insult to radical activists.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
L'Oiseau Noir

Lawlz!

It's a Mini-Manson.

But in all seriousness. Please, please, please take Jillian's advice! The dust-mask thing... nuh-uh. And that eyeliner shit you've got going on--all those scrawls down your face--please, just no. All you need is a bit of eyeliner around the eye with a flick, perhaps, if you're feeling artsy; and the black lipstick, it's not working for you; it's nothing personal. It's just I've seen just a few who are capable of pulling it off and making it look glamorous; and that won't happen when you're using that cheap Hot Topic earwax.

So yes, take Jillian's advice if you're really looking into getting into the Gothic look. You're lucky he was kind enough to provide that treasure trove of information; usually he's a bitey sort.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
Lawlz!

It's a Mini-Manson.

But in all seriousness. Please, please, please take Jillian's advice! The dust-mask thing... nuh-uh. And that eyeliner shit you've got going on--all those scrawls down your face--please, just no. All you need is a bit of eyeliner around the eye with a flick, perhaps, if you're feeling artsy; and the black lipstick isn't working for you--it's nothing personal. It's just I've seen very few people who are capable of pulling it off and making it look glamorous; and that won't happen when you're using that cheap Hot Topic earwax.

So yes, take Jillian's advice if you're really looking into getting into the Gothic look. You're lucky he was kind enough to provide that treasure trove of information; usually he's a bitey sort.

Just made a few minor coherency edits because I was too late to change them in the prior post. Damn five minute rule. Anyway, please, carry on.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Stuff that wins
What about indie-electro/noise/experimental stuff like Din Glorious, Dandi Wind, the Sixteens and other related artists? While it's essential for him to absorb all that is Batcave, it's too stifling to stay in that area and never branch out.

And the kid might turn out to be a budding rivethead so I recommend the stuff I'm beginning to deeply explore too:
Monte Cazazza
Einsturzende Neubauten (and basically anything Blixa Bargeld spat upon)
Test Dept.
SPK
Clock DVA
Die Warzau
Cabaret Voltaire
Nitzer Ebb
Lucrate Milk
Nash the Slash
Foetus in all his incarnations
Early Laibach
Throbbing Gristle
Early Wax Trax!
The Young Gods

And other bands I haven't really heard of until now:
Click Click
Finitribe
Ethyl Meatplow
Severed Heads
Eternal Afflict

And shame on you, Jillian, for forgetting Crass. (I forgot to list them in a crust music topic. Never quite lived that one down)
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

Forgot to mention Crass?? E gads!! I would list some bands, but I won't unless I'm told I need to.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

I think he might get into some industrial-leaning music. And not like Marilyn Manson industrial, but like Killing Joke industrial.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz3

Have you considered wearing no make-up? Or, at most, just a little eye-liner?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Wormboy

Look up beauty of poison on Youtube, that's Specimen, they are sexy times a billion and five

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
KontanKarite

Wow, Jillian nailed it.

In the essence of being a contrived goth, he defined goth perfectly.

That's it. That's all there is to it. Listen to the man. Jillian knows his shit.

Now, once you've assimilated into that whole thing he just mentioned, make it yours. Start breaking the "rules" and do shit that most goths wouldn't dare venture. Cowboy hats, cornrows, WHITE tee shirts...

Especially the cornrows. It's cool to actually be the subject of someone's blog because they never saw a goth with cornrows and they're well traveled goths in the tri-state area.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Edit: HOLY SHIT! You're 13?! YOU are a lucky bastard. On a final note, again, take Jillian's advice. After that, drop the Vampirefreaks bullshit and join us, young one. I assure you, you're IQ has a high possibility of going up 10 or more points being here. If not that, your grammar will improve.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
KontanKarite

This is what you call a specimen of a goth:

http://a719.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...8badd2a956.jpg

This, however, is NOT a goth:

http://a864.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...946f862e17.jpg

Note the blaring differences.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite

I don't even see a person in that pic, just an ugly mop that looks like it needs to be wrung out.

Oh, wait a minute...

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
honeythorn

Quote:

* throws the man net * I WANT IT. NOW.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #17
Dark Clarissa

I think we may have scared him off...lol.

Do come back! We're not that scary! Perhaps just take things one step at a time. Work on your look a bit as per the suggestions above. Then when you have found something you're comfortable with, then start listening to some other music? It may seem like a giant task now, but you're young and have loads of time to get it right.

Don't get offended by anything that's said here either. We are all trying to help
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
ApothoKeri

Right, purely from an aesthetic perspective from what is in those photos, lose the mask, at least the white paper version if you must go there....those specific white masks are for mowing the lawn in the suburbs. Then in general move away from the overt heavy metal look and more toward the punk end of that realm. I don't mean you have to have green liberty spikes or anything but at the moment you look like you could be someones middle child at an Alice Cooper reunion tour. Not that it's a bad thing but I am getting the felling it's not the look you want.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #19
honeythorn

I think plain liner would suit you better than lines all over your face. Lines such as the ones you have drawn honestly look ridiculous and do not suit anybody. Ever.

Just do the top and bottom, perhaps extend out to the sides SLIGHTLY, and leave it there. Possibly some eyeshadow may be worth experimenting with, don't just stick with black because you possibly think that's all that is allowed. You can use any colour you feel like using. Buy one of those cheap pallettes with 20+ colours in them, and experiment to see which colours work for you.

Don't wear black lipstick. It really does not suit you. In fact I have yet to see anyone pull it off and look good. Just don't bother with lipstick at all. You seem to have well shaped eyes and should subtly play those up instead.

Actually you look remarkably like a younger Joey Jordison .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:

In other words, Number 1 is sexy and Number 2 is just...oh god, Number 2 is just pathetic. I especially like the pooling of bad Hot Topic pants at the feet. Kontan, you managed to find the mallgoth poster child.

But if the OP hasn't been scared off by the flood of helpful hints, never again with the makeup. Even for Halloween, you're pushing it kid. Seriously though, don't try so hard. You usually just end up looking like a sad walking Hot Topic ad, and people WILL laugh at you, especially if you look like speciman number two from above.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
KontanKarite

The sad thing is, this kid kinda likes me. He lives in my town. I'm not trying to say he's a bad example of a goth, but he's just a great example of someone who is either highly confused or they're a metalhead that fails very hard at being metal. /Nathan Explosion voice

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #22
prophecyofdoom

The kid has potential. I like this pic. He has charisma, and I've seen the makeup done much, much worse. I'm not into the whole surgical mask thing but he gets points for DIYing it.

And you guys are great for posting actual helpful advice to fledglings such as this as opposed to only scathing mockery, as seemed to be the norm when I first joined here. It's a kinder, friendlier gnet

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
KontanKarite

No, he just oozes the persona of an 11 year old. Why be mean to a kid?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #24
electrosexual

This kid HAS to be a joke.

Ohmygod.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
Breathless Horror

Naw, just a poor deluded kid.

Wow, specimen #1 > me sooo bad XD

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra