Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
KontanKarite

An article by DJ Count Grozney that all should probably read.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=366478633

Discuss...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
TopHaggardDoll

I can see what he means. Noone would pay for my demo and I ended up having to send them out on my own steam. I'm not even an industrial artist, it's happening to artists in all genres. Albums from underground bands aren't even that expensive!

Noone wants to pay for music anymore it's all on files on a computer. I love having albums, with all the pretty album pictures etc..There is something alot more special about owning an album.

I think what happened though, is that mainstream music labels started taking the piss and started putting really high prices on albums and people realised this. Now they don't want to pay, especially when they can get it for free.

Well for you lot who don't pay! £5 is cheap! considering all the CDs and cases you have to buy, all the album art you have to print! the amount of painstaking detail that goes into making music! Alot of people I know LOSE alot of money making music. So think about that...we're losing money doing something we love.

We're students, yeah? lol...we're poor! POOR!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
Noone wants to pay for music anymore it's all on files on a computer. I love having albums, with all the pretty album pictures etc..There is something alot more special about owning an album.

I agree 100%. If I ever get a demo going it's not going to be put online. If people want to hear it they can get a CD. I know it may not be too smart seing as bands music has to be on the Internet for them to get any kind of recognition. Maybe we can put it somewhere where people can't just up and take it.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
JCC

Fact is, I can't afford music yet.

I haven't downloaded anything for a while now. I was, at one point, a chronic downloader. Didn't stop, all day, more music. I'm working on earning money to buy back all of the albums that I've downloaded in an attempt to go legal though, and until then I'm not sure whether I'll be downloading anything else.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
I agree 100%. If I ever get a demo going it's not going to be put online. If people want to hear it they can get a CD. I know it may not be too smart seing as bands music has to be on the Internet for them to get any kind of recognition. Maybe we can put it somewhere where people can't just up and take it.

Well, you can release on cassette. That would be awesome.

honestly, I don't think file sharing can be avoided. It's going to happen.

The only answer I have is let music be free and make shows expensive. But this of course would eventually be a catalyst to underground cannibalism in my opinion because the pirates that love your music are the ones that are too poor to hit up shows as well.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
It is well difficult, trust me.

If people are willing to pay for it, you're a very lucky person! I'm not...lol!

I'm gunna try and release through a label next time, hopefully it'll work out better.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Clockwork

Ooh, such a sad reality it is -_- I wouldn't know where to look in this town to buy music I actually like, but I guess it's always possible to buy online. I'm really going to have to spare the downloads from now on. But for this problem to be fixed, it'd take self restraint on all of the fans' part, and I don't think that kind cooperation is possible...

It's depressing to think that old DiY ethics are dying...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
KontanKarite

The DiY ethics aren't dying.

Seriously, this isn't nothing new. People have been copying tapes and making mixed tapes for the longest time. This kind of piracy has been going on since the common person got the chance to record.

The internet... simply sped it up.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Clockwork

Yeah, but once it hits a certain speed, the dynamics are completely changed. The Internet's real, and everyone downloads now with a just a few clicks. It's not just sped, it's altered.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
KontanKarite

Oh yeah, it's fast as fuck.