Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #51
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor
Saying such a thing is saying that everyone who says you're not ugly is lying and that those who say that you are ugly are the odd ones out, which implies that they're telling the truth. When I say that you're ugly, I'm glad you agree. So your vote was for Metabolik?
... nnnope. Try again. If you read the rest of the post, you would understand the metaphor-- not to suggest any logical person would construe it as you do even without context. The critical flaw in your perceptions apparently doesn't only apply to physical appearances of others.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #52
Catch

Well Opteron Man you are most certainly Goth, but the competition doesn't involve you.

I'm still on the fence between Metabolik and gothicusmaximus. It is just so difficult deciding.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #53
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Well Opteron Man you are most certainly Goth, but the competition doesn't involve you.

I'm still on the fence between Metabolik and gothicusmaximus. It is just so difficult deciding.
Haha, yah, I know! (Laughs) I was just being obnoxious. Sorry.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #54
KontanKarite

I don't think Gothicus is that ugly, really. He's kinda cute if you ask me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #55
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I don't think Gothicus is that ugly, really. He's kinda cute if you ask me.
Agreed.... .. . ..... .

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:48 AM   #56
Wednesday Friday Addams

I take bribes.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #57
TopHaggardDoll

I'm not really attracted to either of you, sorry guys.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #58
gothicusmaximus

I never realized gnet had so many asexual people.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #59
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Agreed.... .. . ..... .
I agree too.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #60
Vexik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
Neither, Vexik wins. He's got pirate booty!! Arr!
Pirate booty /is/ the sexiest of all booties.

But not necessarily the cutest - that would be a baby booty with a kitty in it.
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #61
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
... nnnope. Try again. If you read the rest of the post, you would understand the metaphor-- not to suggest any logical person would construe it as you do even without context. The critical flaw in your perceptions apparently doesn't only apply to physical appearances of others.
The only critical flaw in this is your inability to write a metaphor that matches the scenario. You falsely implied that my opinion that you are ugly is a lie, but then you compared me to a "kid who says he was abducted by aliens" (something that many people believe can be true), and everyone else to "a crowd of classmates claiming their dog ate their homework" (which is obviously the lie). Now, if you had switched to roles that you assigned to myself and to everyone else, your metaphor would work. As it stands now, you fail miserably. Have a nice day.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #62
Tumor

Oh, and me saying that you are ugly is not a "jealous lie," as you put it. For one, I have no reason to be jealous of you. The idea that I would is simply laughable. Also, I really do think that you are ugly. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, just as others who think that you are not ugly are entitled to theirs. But whether you like my opinion or not, quite frankly, I couldn't care less. What you think of my opinion is inconsequential to me.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #63
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
The only critical flaw in this is your inability to write a metaphor that matches the scenario. You falsely implied that my opinion that you are ugly is a lie, but then you compared me to a "kid who says he was abducted by aliens" (something that many people believe can be true), and everyone else to "a crowd of classmates claiming their dog ate their homework" (which is obviously the lie). Now, if you had switched to roles that you assigned to myself and to everyone else, your metaphor would work. As it stands now, you fail miserably. Have a nice day.
The logic of this post hinges on the idea that alien abduction is more likely to happen than a dog eating someone's homework.

As much as I would like to just leave it at that, your next post betrays that that you're stupid, so I'll have to explain further. Most modern people, excepting a smally community, maintain that alien abduction is an absolute fiction, something that does not happen, has never happened, and never will happen, whereas none can argue that dogs do occassionally tear into things that are not food. To the average person, the kid who says he was abducted by aliens is undeniably lying, while the one who says a dog ate his homework could possibly be telling the truth.

"But Gothicus Maximus," you might say in another post which surpasses even these two in inanity, "You never specified whether the hypothetical 'teacher' detecting the falsehood is an avid believer in abduction phenomenon or not!" Well, anyone familiar with such tales would know that the victim is almost always taken from his or her bed as he or she sleeps and returned before morning, long after he or she would have completed his or her homework. Indeed, snatching a schoolchild for an entire afternoon such that he couldn't do his work would draw attention the sinister extra-terrestrials could not afford. So, even to a UFO nut, Alien Abduction is a worse excuse.

Quote:
But whether you like my opinion or not, quite frankly, I couldn't care less.
You mean the opinion that I'm insanely attractive and that you wish you could be me? I like that fine.

Opteron_Man, I owe you an apology, thanks to Tumor being a moron the joke was saved.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #64
gothicusmaximus

Oops, some small corrections.

Quote:
excepting a small community, maintain that alien abduction is an absolute fiction, something that does not happen, has never happened, and never will happen, whereas none can argue that dogs do not occasionally tear into things that are not food.
I would let a typo and the omission of a word go, but given what I'm dealing with here...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #65
Tea and Cake or Death

I vote for gothicus
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #66
Tumor

Quote:
The logic of this post hinges on the idea that alien abduction is more likely to happen than a dog eating someone's homework.
More like the fact that there are more people who believe in the possibility of alien abduction than people who believe that dogs eating homework is a common occurrence. But I didn't expect you to pick up on that.

Quote:
As much as I would like to just leave it at that, your next post betrays that that you're stupid, so I'll have to explain further. Most modern people, excepting a smally community, maintain that alien abduction is an absolute fiction, something that does not happen, has never happened, and never will happen, whereas none can argue that dogs do occassionally tear into things that are not food. To the average person, the kid who says he was abducted by aliens is undeniably lying, while the one who says a dog ate his homework could possibly be telling the truth.
It appears that your perception of what "most modern people" believe is far from accurate. But going beyond that, just because only a small community of people believe in something that everyone else does, that does not mean that this small community is automatically wrong. You are committing a logical fallacy by appealing to popularity.

Quote:
"But Gothicus Maximus," you might say in another post which surpasses even these two in inanity, "You never specified whether the hypothetical 'teacher' detecting the falsehood is an avid believer in abduction phenomenon or not!" Well, anyone familiar with such tales would know that the victim is almost always taken from his or her bed as he or she sleeps and returned before morning, long after he or she would have completed his or her homework. Indeed, snatching a schoolchild for an entire afternoon such that he couldn't do his work would draw attention the sinister extra-terrestrials could not afford. So, even to a UFO nut, Alien Abduction is a worse excuse.
Another logical fallacy. Just because said hypothetical teacher believes something to be true or untrue does not make it true or untrue. Additionally, there are plenty of stories of abductees being taken in the middle of the day, so your example falls apart.

Quote:
You mean the opinion that I'm insanely attractive and that you wish you could be me? I like that fine.
Ah, so you still believe in the juvenile concept of "opposite day." No wonder they call you "Cape Boy."

Quote:
I would let a typo and the omission of a word go, but given what I'm dealing with here...
And why would I care if you make a few typos here and there? I do, too. We all do.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 AM   #67
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Reading this Clash of The Titans is getting me hot and bothered!

Only Goths would go to such depth of analysis of dogs and spaceships.
By the way, dogs did fly spaceships and so are responsible for both the comments by the odd boy out and the rest of the class.

Google: "Dogs flew spaceships". If it is Wiki'd it must be true.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #68
Tumor

Quote:
But going beyond that, just because only a small community of people believe in something that everyone else does, that does not mean that this small community is automatically wrong.
Correction. That should read "just because only a small community of people believe in something that everyone else does not..."

I would let an omission of a word go, but given what I'm dealing with here... <_<
Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #69
TopHaggardDoll

I feel sorry for you Tumor...

Seriously, I can't believe someone who believes that they are so awesome is actually arguing about you not finding him attractive.

On the other hand though, one could say it really isn't suprising given the circumstances.

*walks away mumbling*
Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #70
Underwater Ophelia

This is getting stupid.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #71
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
More like the fact that there are more people who believe in the possibility of alien abduction than people who believe that dogs eating homework is a common occurrence. But I didn't expect you to pick up on that.
Could you be any more wrong? Most people who believe in Alien Abduction conceal that from their friends in family in order to avoid losing all credibility or being committed to a mental institution. We haven't even proven that Alien Abduction happens, everyone whose had a pet knows they can wreck stuff. Jesus christ.

Quote:
It appears that your perception of what "most modern people" believe is far from accurate. But going beyond that, just because only a small community of people believe in something that everyone else does, that does not mean that this small community is automatically wrong. You are committing a logical fallacy by appealing to popularity.
The comparison was based on who is more likely to be caught lying. The lie that most people believe cannot possibly be true is obviously the worse lie.

Quote:
Another logical fallacy. Just because said hypothetical teacher believes something to be true or untrue does not make it true or untrue. Additionally, there are plenty of stories of abductees being taken in the middle of the day, so your example falls apart.
This whole part of the post was supposed to be making fun of you. Every metaphor of that sort should be looked at through the perceptions of the average man. Reading what I said and saying "BUT ALIEN ABDUCTION COULD BE TRUE TO SOME", is equatable to reading "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and saying "BUT I'M A HORSE DENTIST" or reading "Anyone who doesn't look both ways when crossing the street is dumb" and saying "WHAT ABOUT BLIND PEOPLE".
In your original post, you said a kid who claims to be abducted is 'obviously' telling the truth and a kid who claims his dog ate his homework is 'obviously' lying. Most people will see the contest between the two as that between something that cannot possibly happen and something that happens at least once to every pet owner. Even someone who believes in abduction knows which one is more likely to happen, especially in the case of an abduction in broad daylight that nobody noticed, not even after the victim vanished for a whole afternoon.

Quote:
Ah, so you still believe in the juvenile concept of "opposite day." No wonder they call you "Cape Boy."
You realize this is essentially saying "Only on OPPOSITE DAY! Niener niener!", Right?

Quote:
And why would I care if you make a few typos here and there? I do, too. We all do.
I thought you might get confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oph
This is getting stupid.
Getting?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #72
Murasaki eyeliner

both of you are gorgeouse and you both seem like pretty cool guys

but please tell me why one of your eyes seem to have migrated in one of the phtos?

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #73
electrosexual

It's a tough one ... Ack I just don't find either of you attractive. Sorry :/
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #74
Metabolik

OMG...you fucking WIN
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #75
Metabolik