Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Miss Cogs

College Photography Portfolio

So, I decided to creat a clean, professional looking portfolio to work on over the year so I can present when I apply to the college that I want to get into. I thought I would give the link if anyone wants to favourite it and check it everyonce in a while. I'm only putting photographs in it that demostrates my best shots and work.

Portfolio
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
korinna5555

I fucking LOVE the one that's captioned "Love, in the end, is the only thing that will make it through the day"

Excellent work
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I fucking LOVE the one that's captioned "Love, in the end, is the only thing that will make it through the day"

Excellent work

AWWWWWWW. Thank you so much!! ^^ That one is my favourite that I took and it was taken on the spot with little planning. I was so surprised when it came out the way it did.

The male in the picture is apart of these boards, when you get the chnace go tell him you like the photograph. I'm very sure he would love it hear it. ^^

Thank you again. Your comment makes me so very happy.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
korinna5555

Wait.. who?!

Looks kinda like Clockwork, now that I think about it, but I'm not sure..
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Atom Kat

I'd like to say that I also like "Love, in the end, is the only thing that will make it through the day". It's a very intimate and beautiful photograph.
I also like number three of the section "The Beautiful or the Tainted World Around Us". Number two however is a fantastic looking industrial building, and would make for a great black and white study, using some close ups of the shapes and patterns that make it up.
Good work. Will you be adding anymore images?
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
L'Oiseau Noir

I'm loving the photographs, Cogsy. I particularly liked the picture of the birdbath with leaves in it. It struck me as rather pretty.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Kat
I'd like to say that I also like "Love, in the end, is the only thing that will make it through the day". It's a very intimate and beautiful photograph.
I also like number three of the section "The Beautiful or the Tainted World Around Us". Number two however is a fantastic looking industrial building, and would make for a great black and white study, using some close ups of the shapes and patterns that make it up.
Good work. Will you be adding anymore images?
Yes. I do intend to add more photographs. This is of course for college. xD Once I go through all my photographs and decide which I like, there will be more. Also, I do intend to take more photographs of course, just a little more time.

Thank you. I'm glad that you liked the photographs a lot. I loved your perceptions of the pictures and the comments on them.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
I'm loving the photographs, Cogsy. I particularly liked the picture of the birdbath with leaves in it. It struck me as rather pretty.
Yay^^ I'm glad that you liked it the way it was. Eveyone else who has seen the picture says that they were disapointed that there were no birds in it. >:/
Old 05-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Yay^^ I'm glad that you liked it the way it was. Eveyone else who has seen the picture says that they were disapointed that there were no birds in it. >:/

Who needs birds when you've got sexy dead leaves floating in the water? Though a Raven would've been a nice touch.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
insolitus_noir

Nice work! Your black & white images stand out in particular. The fountain with leaves and the house with tree are especially strong; good composition, compelling subjects.

I think the factory shot (or whatever it is) would have worked better in black & white with a stronger sky and more contrast within the dark part of the image (the walkways, pipes, and such).

Good luck!
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

Who needs birds when you've got sexy dead leaves floating in the water? Though a Raven would've been a nice touch.
Ha! True. I still prefer it the way it is.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by insolitus_noir
Nice work! Your black & white images stand out in particular. The fountain with leaves and the house with tree are especially strong; good composition, compelling subjects.

I think the factory shot (or whatever it is) would have worked better in black & white with a stronger sky and more contrast within the dark part of the image (the walkways, pipes, and such).

Good luck!
Thank you. ^^
Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Psh. The mere fact that there is no birds in it just begs for a title of "The things that were." or something similar. Memories of a better time which has now frozen etc.

Great pictures, all of them, and a lovely one of the shining diamond that's you.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Psh. The mere fact that there is no birds in it just begs for a title of "The things that were." or something similar. Memories of a better time which has now frozen etc.

Great pictures, all of them, and a lovely one of the shining diamond that's you.
I think I named it "Where they play" if I remember correctly.

Thank you, Meth. I'm very happy that you like them. I seriously thinking that photography could actually work out for me.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #15
TopHaggardDoll

You're so good! :O!

I hope I can get as good as this, or i'll cry lots...XD!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
You're so good! :O!

I hope I can get as good as this, or i'll cry lots...XD!
Aww. You can do it! I've been only messing with the camera for about 3 to 4 months now and I have a rather crappy camera. 5.2 megapixels Fujifilm E10 Finepix to be exact and it's a few years old. Just think of what you can do with that amount of time. Practice. Practice. I take pictures everyday just to practice and not everything comes out so great...trust me. >.>

Buy yourself a good camera and practice everyday and you can get good. ^^
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
Miss Cogs

New photograph added. Something conceptual that features a typewritter and my hands.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
Miss Cogs

Updating this to let you know that there is another new picture in my portfolio. XD
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
VampireFaust

I would love to check out your photography portfolio...where can I view it?
VampireFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #20
Miss Cogs

The link in the first post at the top of the thread. :]

It's labeled "Portfolio" and turns red when you hover your cursor over it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #21
Barfing_Rat

Cog, you definitely have talent right there.

The one of cat by window is a very nice pic. It give off a mellow and relaxing feeling. But is it marketable? Well... with a bit more practice, yes it can be! The picture is too busy (plaid blankets, pillow, too many things can be seen in window) If you can photoshop the window background to be something more simple such as a single huge tree or something then would be almost marketable.

The squirrel one is kinda difficult. If it wasn't for the shoe in background, it wouldn't be anything special. But with shoe in background, it make the pic somewhat more interesting, but it look much like a accident. I'd try to add in a bit more shoe if you want the shoe to be in the pic.

As for the last cat... I don't want to be a jerk but... It is just a portrait and nothing else. If that was shown to photography teacher, they'd just think you just take pic at last minute, NOT a good sign!

Under title "What I see" First two portrait is quite creative and good! That is your style, work on it! That's first thing many photography teacher ask themselve "Do this student have a style? Or do they just run around take pic of everything they see?" So first two is a great pictures. The one of lips... This picture is decent but I think it can be a bit better if the skin isnt so overexposed. I think a bit more shadow or darkness would help a lot.

Beautiful or Tainted World Around Us
first pic, sky need to either be photoshop or cropped to look better. I'd add in a foggy cloud which can be done easily on photoshop. I'd photoshop out that trash on grass near to couple, it's a eyesore. I really like how two couples are walking by the water. It's a very nice touch to the picture. This is exactly what the teachers would be looking for in composition.

The factory, it is nothing stunning but I can see a lot of things that can be done with it. Imagine adding fog to the sky and smoke from chimney or dim the sky and the whole picture then photoshop some light spots aiming onto the building. That would look really good. But by itself, eventhough it look alright, anyone can take that picture. So you will have to try adjust it some. That's when photoshop come into the play.

Black and white of the tree and house is a very nice picture. I'd try to photoshop trash bin and other things by it out which should be very easy to do with cloning tool. Is anything stuck on tree? If so, photoshop it out with cloning tool. It is distracting. You want people to be seeing the house and the tree, not all stuff that I as to photoshop out, it is distracting. I'd examine with cropping the boat part out but I don't know how that would affect the tree. It's a very nice picture that can use a bit clean up. I'd definitely keep that one!

The color tree one... I don't want to put you down... But... This one have to go. Anybody can take that picture and I don't really see what it can be used for at all. I'm sorry. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but... I want to help.

Meaningful

Typewriting is probably one of the best picture out of all. It also show your style like as the portrait one. I like how the metal part exposure is just perfect and totally stand out in black and white picture. The hand on it look great! It doesnt look like the model was trying too hard. Composition is also very good! Only thing I'd do is crop out the gray bottom part. This one is definitely a keeper.

Birdbath, again, it is a very nice picture that show your style. Everything is in good focus. The background is a bit overexposed but you can learn to avoid that mistake fairly easily. If you want to get creative, try to make the white leaves in the water colored. But that may ruin your style however I'd still try it and see what happen. This is another keeper.

The third one... I really don't know what to say... It look like you did something to the picture so it look almost cartoonish. So I am not sure what to say about it. The style CAN work but I'd try it in color instead of black and white. I think it would look better that way. But again... I really dont know what to say about this one.

The sitting on edge one is another keeper. It is a very nice and creative picture that bring your style out. I'd try to play around with the overexposed part in photoshop and see what I can get out of it. If there's nothing that will work then just leave it lone. It still look great. I also would crop the very top part so people cannot see where the cement part end. This is a creative and beautiful picture that would go good in your portrait.

A Time That Was Lost

The miror and clock one is a great picture. I like how there's no arms on the clock and the feeling the picture give off. However the expression on the person face could be a bit better but some may like it. I also like how you didnt try to capture whole mirror or the person's head in the picture. That's one of biggest problem I have, I try too hard to get everything in the picture. This one is a keeper too.

The swing one, this picture is a decent one. I'd photoshop out white spots on the pole, it is distracting.The mood is good. It isn't exactly something that would be considered as your style, but it is still a nice picture. I'm sure there will be people who will pay to have similar portrait of them done. I'd keep this one as well.

The couple one is cute. It is another very nice picture. This is a very popular type of picture. So it will most likely get a good comment no matter what. Plus the quote at the bottom will help even more. Often the teacher will ask "what are you trying to tell people with this picture" so it is a good thing that you know what you're trying to tell with this picture.

Last one... Eh.... The color is nice and focus is good. But... I'd not add it to portrait. Also I'd photoshop it so it's black and white. But... It may help to have some color pictures in portrait. However I'll just say I don't like this one. I just don't really like the mood or feeling I get from this picture. It probably would be ok if it was black and white picture. But don't be afraid to experiment and DON'T get discouraged!

Overall I'd say you have some very nice pictures and you seems to already have a style set down which is a great thing. If you keep working on it, you definitely will do quite well in photography. I'd suggest you to keep try, experiment, use photoshop, etc... And don't be afraid or shy about trying new style and show it to others. You have some great vision and you seems to learn how to use your camera quite well rather quickly.

Again... I've told you this before... DON'T let the camera discourage you. Trust me with a 8.0 or even 15.0 Megapixel, your picture will not really look that different. It only work if you want to blow the size of picture up. 4.0 is more than enough for a decent 8X10. So don't let your camera discourage you.

Also try to take a couple business classes as well. Often photographer fail because they aren't good with business aspect, not because they're not good in art aspect.

You have been doing quite well so far. So keep shooting!
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #22
Miss Cogs

Thank you.
Although, as much as I would love to have photoshop, I don't.
So I stick with GIMP.
Although, I did apply for many jobs so getting photoshop and a new camera seems to be in arms reach for myself.
I'm glad that you like the style I use .
Yes, I try different styles many times, but the one as you and many people keep mentioning as "my style" is my favourite to play around with.
Prehaps, I'll revisit some of the photos you mentioned and do some cropping and such.
Right now, I've been in a stump because all my photos were from father's day and I haven't added any of "my style".
But this weekend will deffinatly have some of "my style" in it. :]
Although some of the fixes you asked me to fix are nearly impossible because of my lack of photoshop and the fact that it was the camera that made the sky white against the factory and the one photo cartoonish.
My camera, and I mean it, does not capture mirror, rain, or sky.
It turns the sky white no matter what when I take a photo.
But thank you for the advice.
I'll look over my portfolio again and take out and re-do some photos.
^^;
Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
Barfing_Rat

Cog, if I was you, I'd get photoshop first. No need for fancy stuff. Element 3.0 is good enough. Or... you can do unpopular stuff and... pirate...

May you will be interest in this site www.photosig.com You can post pics there and people will critize it and give you some advices.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #24
TheBloodEternity

Wow, Cogs, I really like your photography. I especially like the one in front of the mirror.
I got a new camera and started to get into photography, but then I quit before I really started to get any good.
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
Barfing_Rat

What camera do you have BloodEternity? Do you still use it?