Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
Cyberbat

LOL. Cause you can still see the "goat" or "Devil" in it when its flipped.

Here is an interesting read on it: http://altreligion.about.com/library.../aa100102a.htm

But the simple answer, people are stupid.
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
PortraitOfSanity

Well, Pagan became Satanic in the Christian viewpoint once they started attacking any pre-Christian religions.

The pentacle never really became a mainstream Christian symbol, some of the cultish Christians supposedly used it to refer to Mary Magedeline, but a lot of that is not really based on any fact.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #28
Demonic-Defiance

well now, according to modern culture and to modern christianity every religion is inferior and if you do not believe in the one and only god then you are going to hell were you will be torn apart in brutal screaming agony for the rest of time, but doesnt it also say in the bible that you mus`nt force your views on other`s or something to that effect. So stop me if im wrong but isnt that a controdiction. the pentagram actually represents the four elements travaling to a higher power a god head if you wish, aka leaving the earth and giving their power to an outer worldly being, but the invertead pentagram represents the four elements giving their power to man, and giving him the power to rise up and take his place amongst the gods. Please correct me if im wrong. and to answer this "Wha... you mean the one where JC gets kinda hung lyk. Hehe."
no its not were jc got hung..... lol
Demonic-Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic-Defiance
doesnt it also say in the bible that you mus`nt force your views on other`s or something to that effect.
No. Not at all. In any place. Seriously, not even close. In fact that would be a bullshit misconception.
The closest thing it says to that are:
If someone tells you to go worship other gods, stone him to death.
A man went to hell and prayed to god to let him talk to his brothers so that they will not have the same fate, but was denied, for the law of Moses was already enough.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #30
Fatbaby

To hell with religion. Occasionally I wear a glass eye. People seldom say anything thinking it may be an award or a recent conquest.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #31
Geoluhread

A question of pure curiousity...
I read the davinci code, by dan brown... While the main idea of the book i thought was absurd *it's just my opinion*... I was wondering about other little things in the book... About symbols and things of that sort, how true are they in that book?
Because i believe that the pentagram was mentioned, and the reason why later on it was linked to satanisim
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #32
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
I read the davinci code, by dan brown
My condolences.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #33
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Buying into their religion and flipping it around does not make you anti-christian, it makes you a christian and an asshole.
Too true, too true.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
bluey-green-vein

actually, the thing with inverted symbols has to do with "right hand" and "left hand" paths

right hand paths have there Crosses and Pentagrams and stuff

left hand paths have the inverted versions of Crosses and Pentragrams, representing them and defining them as a left hand path
bluey-green-vein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #35
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey-green-vein
actually, the thing with inverted symbols has to do with "right hand" and "left hand" paths

right hand paths have there Crosses and Pentagrams and stuff

left hand paths have the inverted versions of Crosses and Pentragrams, representing them and defining them as a left hand path
Uh... no. Not at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #36
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
A question of pure curiousity...
I read the davinci code, by dan brown... While the main idea of the book i thought was absurd *it's just my opinion*... I was wondering about other little things in the book... About symbols and things of that sort, how true are they in that book?
Because i believe that the pentagram was mentioned, and the reason why later on it was linked to satanisim
The Davinci code was accurate in regards to the pentacle/pentagram. It was a Pagan symbol which was later condemned by the church as a symbol of the devil, in order to discredit and eliminate followers of the Pagan religions.

I'm not 100% sure as to what it originally meant, but it has nothing to do with the devil, or Satanism. If any Satanists use it, it's more likely out of ignorance of its meaning than anything else.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #37
bluey-green-vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Uh... no. Not at all.
why?
i remember reading something like that on wikipedia if i remember correctly
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
Sir Canvas Corpsey

See that was your mistake vein, wikipedia is an orgy of misconceptions, especially when concerning reiigious symbols and satanism and etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #39
bluey-green-vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
See that was your mistake vein, wikipedia is an orgy of misconceptions, especially when concerning reiigious symbols and satanism and etc.
i dont care
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #40
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I have no idea what you are specifically referring to when you say you "don't care", however I do now have the impression that you are an idiot of some degree.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #41
Wednesday Friday Addams

Wikipedia is actually pretty accurate for a encyclopedia. And if your ever in doubt check the sources.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #42
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity

I'm not 100% sure as to what it originally meant, but it has nothing to do with the devil, or Satanism. If any Satanists use it, it's more likely out of ignorance of its meaning than anything else.
I doubt we will ever know it's absolutely base root meaning as it's over 8000 years old and few to no legible records remain. From the time we can date it's uses and meanings, they vary from the four elements ( air, earth, fire, and water ) plus a fifth to mean spirit, if you look at it , it's also a roughly man-like shape with the top point being where the head would be, then two arms at the side and two legs at the bottom.

In it's inverted form, one or two Wiccan traditions ( particularly Gardenarian if I recall rightly ) consider it to be the symbol of a wiccan in his or her second year of training.

The early church inverted it and some fool drew a goats head inside it to represent satan. To be fair, any animal with a pair of roughly straight pointy horns can fit in there so why a goat is beyond me.

To those Pagans who aren't wiccan such as myself, it just means you've got your pentagram upside down and you're a prat , turn it round silly!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #43
Draconysius

They're for putting on top of those nappy-headed black metal foreheads.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #44
honeythorn

Didn't one member of some black metal band burn/cut ect an inverted cross into his forehead? I could have sworn someone did it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #45
Geoluhread

Umm... Not an inverted cross, an inverted pentagram... Rob zombie, in some of his pictures...

As for where it originally came from, i thought it was venus and a feminine symbol, that's why the church linked it to satan...
I'll do some research and get back on that
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #46
honeythorn

The pentagram existed long before the Romans and their mythologies. Although it may have been integrated by them, as it has by more than one faith over time.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #47
Underwater Ophelia

I would just like to remind everyone that The DaVinci Code is a work of fiction.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #48
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Didn't one member of some black metal band burn/cut ect an inverted cross into his forehead? I could have sworn someone did it.
Glenn Benton of Deicide, the Death Metal band. Because he's so rebellious!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #49
honeythorn

Ah! I knew it was something like that. I remember seeing it on a magazine cover.

Davinci Code. Never liked it, book or film it just didn't really grab me at all. My friend LOVED it .
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #50
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Glenn Benton of Deicide, the Death Metal band. Because he's so rebellious!
Glen Benton once mentioned in a metal magazine (I think it was in Terrorizer)recently that the entire thing (his evil image and the branding on his head, the alleged animal cruelty, for which he had bomb threats in the U.k on their first tour) was a publicity stunt engineered by his record company at the time. I also remember a rather amusing staged debate in Kerrang with Glen Benton and a Priest who was a metal musician) !!!.

I once had a live bootleg of them that a friend had taped for me, and his onstage rants were so ridiculous !!!.

Record companies will do anything to sell records, and no publicity is bad publicity in the music business, Deicides image sold them records !!!.

But as you said JCC `What a rebel` !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote