Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #226
Barghest

I can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, I'm pro hunting (as long as it's done responsably. ) I also just think guns are interesting, and I like weapons in general.

But, now that I live in Chicago, I'm starting to see how gun violence is a little out of control. On the first warm day of the year we had something like 70 shootings. That's just insane. Obviously if it was harder to get guns, stuff like that wouldn't happen.

I guess I can see both sides of the issue, and on the subject of legality, if i had to, i would lean towards more gun control because in the long run, it will be the best for most people.

But I'm not opposed to guns personally, in fact i would love to learn to shoot and go hunting some day, but the opportunity has never presented itself.
Barghest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #227
Deadmanwalking_05

Well if you are 18 and have no record of mental health issues,and no Felony charges or further crimes,I don't see any reason for you not too if that is what you want.

It can be a fun hobby as well as a useful one if done properly.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #228
Deadmanwalking_05

As far as gun violence goes,doesn't Chicago have a ban on handguns in the city?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #229
Deadmanwalking_05

Back to firearms though.

I just found an article on this little rifle,The thing is a 22lr version of the HKMP-5 (Semi-auto only,not fully)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSG-5
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #230
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barghest
I can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, I'm pro hunting (as long as it's done responsably. ) I also just think guns are interesting, and I like weapons in general.

But, now that I live in Chicago, I'm starting to see how gun violence is a little out of control. On the first warm day of the year we had something like 70 shootings. That's just insane. Obviously if it was harder to get guns, stuff like that wouldn't happen.

I guess I can see both sides of the issue, and on the subject of legality, if i had to, i would lean towards more gun control because in the long run, it will be the best for most people.

But I'm not opposed to guns personally, in fact i would love to learn to shoot and go hunting some day, but the opportunity has never presented itself.
Where do you live in Chicago?

And yes Deadman, we have a handgun ban in the city.

But I can get a Mac-10 for 300 bucks or less.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #231
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
Back to firearms though.

I just found an article on this little rifle,The thing is a 22lr version of the HKMP-5 (Semi-auto only,not fully)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSG-5
I saw it at ImpactGuns a little while ago.

It's a neat idea, but if I'm going to go for a sporting SMG, PS-90 all the way. http://www.impactguns.com/store/818513004749.html
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #232
PortraitOfSanity

Sporting SMG? I really hope you mean just target shooting.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #233
Deadmanwalking_05

Semi-auto Carbine that looks like the SMG but over all function is completly diffenent.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #234
PortraitOfSanity

Yea, but who hunts with 9mm? Except maybe for like squirrels or rabbits, and it's probably too big for that.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #235
Deadmanwalking_05

And unless you want to go through the red tape the barrel has to be 16 inches,otherwise it would be an S.B.R. (Short Barreled Rifle).
Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #236
Deadmanwalking_05

With the right ammo a 9mm Luger carbine can take thin skinned animals like deer.(Although it would have to be at short "Brush Gun" Ranges.)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #237
Deadmanwalking_05

(The above was only meant to inform not offend)

But a carbine in the same caliber as a chosen sidearm does help in the personal defense area,with common ammunition for both. (Camping ,Back packing in the woods,hill rides and the like)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #238
Splintered

Deadman, after you make a post, you can edit your last reply to include what more you want to say for about five minutes.

I was using layman terms. The Mp5 and P-90 are both SMGs, and these are basically their "Sport" models. In the case of the PS-90, it's the same as a P-90, save for rails and longer barrel. In the case of the GSG-5, most people will recognize it as an Mp5 with a long barrel.

Just layman terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Yea, but who hunts with 9mm? Except maybe for like squirrels or rabbits, and it's probably too big for that.
9mm is actually a really nice ammunition for pheasants like turkey and duck. They'll explode if you use anything much bigger.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #239
PortraitOfSanity

Wouldn't a .22 be better though? 9mm just seems to middle of the road for hunting, at least as far as I know. To small for most stuff, and too big for the rest.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #240
Splintered

Technically, a shotgun is best for pheasant hunting. However, that's really messy, and takes the sport out of it in my mind.

So, given a rifle cartridge, I'd like a .22 for really small birds and rodents. However, if you get a bit bigger like a good sized turkey, a .22 might not be enough to take the sucker down. A 9mm will drop it pretty quickly.

It's also a very fun caliber to shoot, just in general. I'd love to own a Mark III Browning just because it's that nice of a caliber to shoot, and then can be very easily used for hunting a swell.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #241
Twisted-mind

Location: in a boreing little section in a small town within Michigan
its not the weapon itself but the creature, if we weren't so stupidly smart maybe violence wouldn't be such an issue, i'd rather be a friggan bee then this thing that lives off of chaos and pride
Twisted-mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #242
Joker_in_the_Pack

That's why if I needed to hunt, I'd use bows. They don't cause anything to explode, and they're quiet. So if you need to get more food that day, you don't scare off the whole god damn forest.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #243
Deadmanwalking_05

Ever hunt small game with a 22. rifle?

The rifle doesn't make much noise (Although not nearly as quite as a bow) and all you have to do is after bagging the animal (In the case of a Squirrel) is wait around for about 10-15 minutes and the rest will begin to stir again.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #244
Joker_in_the_Pack

Haha and a .22 will bounce off a steel toed shoe. I like bows best though. I'd also take a well engeniered spear with me, incase some animals don't feel like cooperating.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #245
Deadmanwalking_05

a 22.lr while the smallest production caliber factory made,it still has enough power to kill (more so for the 22.magnum and 17.magnum) while a tiny round it still requires respect in it's use,and can be deadly.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #246
PortraitOfSanity

Just ask the mafia hitmen who use it. It will enter your skull, but it won't have enough power to exit, so it bounces around inside.

Fun stuff.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #247
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Just ask the mafia hitmen who use it. It will enter your skull, but it won't have enough power to exit, so it bounces around inside.

Fun stuff.
I thought it was the 9mm that held that reputation, not the .22lr. Then again, I could be wrong.

I'd hate to have to hurt someone with a .22. They're painful, but so useless on anything above a small critter.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #248
Deadmanwalking_05

I've been mulling over the thought of if I'm going to spend money on firearms I'm going to spend it on what I'm going to be using most of the time.

I'm thinking about replacing my aging (and valuable carry guns,lets face it they don't make them like these anymore and it's best to hang on to them to pass on to any kids or grandkids I might have with some young lady in the future)

Both would be K-Frames and stainless steel.

Anybody that likes revolvers tell me what you think.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

To replace the Model 34. and as a trainer for the purchase after that.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

To replace my old model 12 (It was my dads,mine and then it will be passed on after I go)
Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #249
Deadmanwalking_05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o&NR=1

This is the right way to train a shooter (Not meaning school shooter)
Old 08-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #250
PortraitOfSanity

I liked the video, pretty impressive really, she doesn't even visibly react to the recoil. However, the comments from the users make me very, very scared to live in America.