Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
-vans-

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

Anyone read this?
It is such a powerful, passionate story.
Heathcliff is by far thee best character, Hindley is also very intresting. I wish Bronte had wrote more on him.
-vans- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Mistress_Bathory69

Wuthering Heights was a really good book. If u liked that read Jane Eyre (its by her sister) i thought it was better.
Mistress_Bathory69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
ThwanCondu

I adored Wuthering Heights. I've heard great things about Jane Eyre, and it's definitely on my reading list.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Alain

There's just something incredibly romantic about their bodies slowly moulding together. They were one in the grave, and all that. It sounds corny written down, but that moment was my favourite in the entire book. For Bronte fans, you lot should go read the Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, and The Eyre Affair (a comedy) by Jasper Fforde if you haven't already.

Wildfell Hall is this great book about domestic abuse and gender roles during that period of English history, and The Eyre Affair is... cool. Thursday Next is an incredible character.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Demonista_Ravenesque

I have the whole Bronte Collection, beat that *pokes toungue out*

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Blushing Heliophobe

It's good. I know it's a 'Goth' read, but I agree that Jane Eyre was better. I really didn't feel bad whatsoever for any characters in Wuthering Heights. They brought all their troubles on themselves for either being stupid, or insisting on pursuing stupid company. Except maybe the maid, because she was motivated by her duty. Jane, on the other hand, got a bad stroke of luck but did what she had to do so that she could be independant and have her honor still. She's a great heroine.

*drops 2 pennies*
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
Wise Child

I looooooooove Wuthering Heights - I can understand why some people might prefer Jane Eyre, which is also wicked, but I just love the whole self-created hell theme. It's so well-done - Heathcliff is awful in a lot of ways but he's also incredibly charismatic, and there are times when he was younger when you can see from his childhood why he's so fucked up. It was way ahead of its time like that, back then kids were seen as mini-adults and if you were bad, it was 'cause you chose to be there. I think it's pretty cool that she wrote it before society had any concept that "evil" people - like today, for example, child abusers - often come from pretty twisted backgrounds. Did you guys know it only sold 7 copies when it was first published? People thought it was amoral, a tool of Satan and generally despicable. You can see the evidence of this attitude a little in Jane Eyre - which, don't get me wrong, is fantastic - but seriously, what are the odds of a kid who's orphaned, unwanted, treated like an animal, sent to a school that's basically not hugely different to a workhouse, etc., growing up to have such a strong sense of morality? Wuthering Heights is that bit more perceptive about human nature, in my opinion.
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
Blushing Heliophobe

Yes, I'd have to agree with you on that. Wuthering Heights was ahead of its time portraying the dark side of humanity. But I just can't help thinking every character brought their own misery upon themselves - if you're going to associate with voilent lunatics, don't be surprised when they - gasp - ruin your life! Who saw that one coming?!?

Still liked it, still liked it...

If you like novels that probe the slimy side of humanity that are also ahead of their time, try Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It gives you something to chew on, at least it did for me.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Wise Child

Yeah I read that too, good one! If you ain't already a misanthrope, you will be by the time you've finished ...
Did anyone ever read A Mirror For Witches by Esther Forbes? It's a modern take on the Salem Witch Trials, kinda fits in with the whole dark side of humanity thing we got going on here - malice, paranoia, coincidence & ignorance are all explored. It's written in the style of a seventeenth century account so I didn't really get it the first time, but it was really moving when I went back over it knowing that it was written in our century. I love the last line - "For show me, anywhere, Paradise, and just around the corner I will show you Hell". I'm not spoiling the ending at all with that so let my ramblings put you off!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
Wise Child

It's that same idea that you were saying, Blushing Heliophobe - about people who make their own hell. If you liked that about Wuthering Heights, you'll like Esther Forbes
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
horrorgirl

I love the Brontes. I have read every book of theirs I think.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
Wise Child

What's Villette like? I wanted to read it but someone told me if you read Jane Eyre first it's a real let-down. Would you agree, or recommend it, horrorgirl?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
horrorgirl

I liked Vilette but I would have to say that Jane Eyre is a better book. Jane Eyre was Chalotte Bronte's masterpiece.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
Wise Child

Did anyone else wonder where Heathcliff came from? I wrote an essay about this as a first year at university, and my teacher suggested that maybe he was an illegitimate child of Hindley Sr. It would explain why he's so partial to him, more than his own flesh & blood, if Heathcliff was his kid as well. Also it gives the twisted love story a whole new dimension if Heathcliff and Catherine were half-brother and sister.