Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #51
MollyMac

Christ. Give it up and go to Goodwill or Aldi or something
Old 09-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #52
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I know (well, hope) you're kidding, but a lot of people have this attitude, and it's fucking bullshit.
I hate it.
I've seen people get extremely pissed off about it, when they think employers are encroaching on their "rights".

We had this one guy who walked in looking exactly like one of these. He walked straight up to me and said, "Yo, you guys still hiring?".

I told him that we've filled the position, but we're still accepting applications. He then handed me this copy and paste application I've seen a million times before, and said the dumbest thing I've ever heard said to a potential employer: "Like, yo, you must be the guy that got the job, yo."

What. The. Fuck. I'm third in seniority in the whole place, and I had been working for a quite a damn while. Not only was it disrespectful in assuming that I'm the new guy and voicing that opinion, but also phrasing it with "Yo", was just idiotic.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #53
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
I know (well, hope) you're kidding, but a lot of people have this attitude, and it's fucking bullshit.
I hate it.
Why would I be kidding? They're paying for my rent, food, and the clothing on my back, why shouldn't I be able to dress however the fuck I want?
It's a free country!

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #54
Underwater Ophelia

People think they're entitled to work.
THAT makes me angry.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #55
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Why would I be kidding? They're paying for my rent, food, and the clothing on my back, why shouldn't I be able to dress however the fuck I want?
It's a free country!
Think about how you worded this for a second.

They're paying for my rent, food, and the clothing on my back, why shouldn't I be able to dress however the fuck I want?
It's a free country!

If they pay for it, isn't it theirs? I know that's not how you intended to word it, but that's how it came out.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #56
Splintered

I work in computer repair and retail.

Copy and paste applications are applications that don't stand out in any obvious way. They just have the information, and nothing else.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #57
Joker_in_the_Pack

I wouldn't mind working at Hot Topic, the job seems relaxed, if you have open enough tastes, you can get them to play something you can at least tolerate, the dress code is lax at best, and (I think) you get a spiffy little employee discount, incase you find any gems.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #58
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
That could be because there is no real reason to protest it, it isn't like they make the stuff that they sell, the stuff is already out there, they are just making it more easily available for the people who want it.
Well, goth has punk roots, and I think the protest is partially the turning of "goth" into a commodity. The whole concept of a movement supposedly based on individuality and "anti-establishment" albeit in a darker shade succumbing to the consumer machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Consumerism is BULLSHIT!
Exactly.

Quote:
If you're saying Hot Topic is goth you're wrong.

Goth is based on goth rock.
NOTHING in Hot Topic has anything to do with goth rock.
They do have a few tidbits that would be considered goth per-se, and I think I've seen one or two CDs there that were actually goth music (though it has been a looong time since I've been in one), but yes, a majority of it is emo or "alternative," or that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I have not seen 'goth styles' showcased in a Hot Topic since... 2002? It has easily been at least _six years_. Maybe I'm just old and don't get it anymore.

The last time I walked into a Hot Topic, I found plenty of band shirts, clothing for the last Batman and Transformers movies, and some plaid skirts. Oh, and a few different styles of converse sneakers. Cool, great, but nothing that particularly favors a particular style. It is kind of its own thing.

The more intelligent employees there know what the story is - trends change over time, and Hot Topic caters to whatever kids with disposable income are buying. It is what it is.
Yeah. They even openly admit that they're changing their direction a bit. But that's just business, and Hot Topic is, and always was, a business that catered to angsty suburban teenagers looking for a way to rebel without getting into serious trouble with the 'rents' they complain about so much.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #59
MollyMac

This is not a free country. Stop saying that.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #60
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
It's a free country!
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, so I'll answer this as if you're not.

I wasn't talking about you dressing how you want at home, I was talking about how one dresses in the workplace.

And, no, it's not a free country.
Particularly not for those under 18 who aren't emancipated. Even if it was...you don't think you could dress how your parents like you to considering they're allowing you to continue life on this planet?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #61
Jonathan

MollyMac, what do you mean by "This is not a free country"?

Not trying to be argumentative, I've seen that particular statement in a few places, and it confuses me a bit.

I've never had problems leaving a job, or turning down offers that I didn't like.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #62
Jonathan

Underwater Ophelia,

There are a lot of places to work, and different employers have different standards. It isn't too difficult to find a place to work that either doesn't care how you look or encourages the styles you like.

It certainly is a "free country" - people are free to dress however they like, just as employers are free to tell them to get the hell out of their establishments until they look presentable.

Parents have a choice of whether they allow their children to live? If parents have that kind of power, than how can child abuse be considered a crime? I mean, if they are just property until 18..
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #63
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Underwater Ophelia,

There are a lot of places to work, and different employers have different standards. It isn't too difficult to find a place to work that either doesn't care how you look or encourages the styles you like.
I never said this wasn't true.
Quote:
It certainly is a "free country" - people are free to dress however they like, just as employers are free to tell them to get the hell out of their establishments until they look presentable.
MollyMac and I meant it in the sense that you are not free to do anything you want, and that there are restrictions anywhere you go.
I thought that was obvious.
Quote:
Parents have a choice of whether they allow their children to live? If parents have that kind of power, than how can child abuse be considered a crime? I mean, if they are just property until 18..
Parents have a choice whether or not their children live, yes.
Child abuse and murder being crimes doesn't stop people from being 100% able to commit those acts.

Also, that wasn't even the point.
The point was more that her parents DON'T have to feed her good food, they don't have to let her have the bedspread she likes, they don't have to give her a ride to her friends' houses or anything like that.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #64
Xombie

Quote:

Parents have a choice whether or not their children live, yes.
Child abuse and murder being crimes doesn't stop people from being 100% able to commit those acts.
In that case, everybody has a choice as to wehther or not anybody else should live. It doesn't just apply to parents.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #65
Catch

How is it when there is an arguement with two different stances on the subject, child abuse and murder suddenly become appropriate?

If someone feels anxiety when reading people argue, maybe they should stick to the shallow topics on the site like the Word Association Game.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #66
Solumina

Quote:
That may be true where you are but it certainly is not the case everywhere. I know plenty of people who are intelligent and have relevant work experience who have struggled to find a decent job. Personally if I found out the the Hot Topic near here was accepting applications then I would jump at the opportunity because retail is one of the few areas that I could work in due to my schedule in addition there are very few places hiring and plenty of people fill what positions they do have.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #67
MollyMac

I cannto speak for other's use of the statement, only mine. But no, it is not a free country. (It is more free in many respects, more liberal and open than most countries, so I am not looking the gift horse of being born here, in this time, in the mouth)

There are taxes. There are laws. There are restrictions. You may be guaranteed the rights to freedom of speech, press, religion, assembly, and petition, but those very words and concepts are subject to the interpretations and confines of people you never met and are a better person for not having met them.

If there was true freedom of speech, people wouldn't have to test it so much.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #68
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, so I'll answer this as if you're not.

I wasn't talking about you dressing how you want at home, I was talking about how one dresses in the workplace.

And, no, it's not a free country.
Particularly not for those under 18 who aren't emancipated. Even if it was...you don't think you could dress how your parents like you to considering they're allowing you to continue life on this planet?
Yes, I am kidding. I'm not that stupid.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #69
schoolsucksletsanarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Surely if they want that, then he could dress like a goth, not like a goff? Then they can't complain right?
Stroke of genious
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #70
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolsucksletsanarky
Stroke of genious
Whereas your spelling would imply you've had just a stroke.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #71
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
HAHAHA.

Get into my panties, JCC.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #72
schoolsucksletsanarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
*admits defeat*
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #73
MollyMac

Damn. That was so easy it made me sad.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #74
Joker_in_the_Pack

Speaking of hot topic, I just bought a pair of pleather pants from them for $20, yay me.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #75
DRM

Well you work for them, and if there's uniforms in other stores and places like that, then it's really not that bad to ask them to wear one too, and theres alot more wiggle room in that kind of guide line for uniforms then in the uniforms in most places.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote