Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #51
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Gothic-Bubbles*~
Let me go and read the back of the play that we got given.
What a killer sentence.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #52
~*Gothic-Bubbles*~

Right. It says here that not long after the fever died down, Parris got voted from office and was never heard from again.
Also, according to legend, Abigail later on became a Prostitute in Boston.
Elizabeth Proctor re-married four years after Proctor was hanged.
And that's all that it says.....
~*Gothic-Bubbles*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #53
Necrophagist

ZOMG Da ANtI CHrIsT IZ HErE!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111111111111111111
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #54
JCC

How in the shit have we gotten from bashing you for liking Twilight to talking about witch executions? While the thought of putting somebody into a barrel with protruding nails and kicking them down a hill is undeniably hilarious, it has nothing to do with actual Witches (I cannot believe I have been degraded to saying that) or the fact that your taste in books is shitty.

I'm almost terrified of asking this for fear of the conversation about the Industrial Revolution that it may commence or something: but what are these music tastes that are too broad to mention?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #55
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Right. It says here that not long after the fever died down, Parris got voted from office and was never heard from again.
Also, according to legend, Abigail later on became a Prostitute in Boston.
Elizabeth Proctor re-married four years after Proctor was hanged.
And that's all that it says.....
Why do you think we care what your copy of The Crucible says? Are you going to leave or what?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #56
Beowulf

`Live and let live, fairly give, fairly take`

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I mean NO ONE, but for possibly a handful of exceptions, burned at the stake for witchcraft was actually a witch, so it makes no sense for practitioners of your religion to refer to that period by a special term, as if it's some dark chapter in the history of your faith.

Do you know anything of the persecution and near genocide of non christians in northern europe ?

Gothicus, I reccomend you at least read this book, because it seems you have no idea of the magnitude of suffering and persecution that has occured over the last thousand years. This was a dark chapter for anyone people who did not comply with the church.

Witchhunt : History Of A Persucution by Nigel Cawthorne
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #57
~*Gothic-Bubbles*~

Well, I love the likes of KISS and and Alice Cooper.
I also love Nightwish (Tarja, not Annette).
I like Atreyu, The Rasmus, Mike Oldfield, Lacuna Coil, Kwan, Inkubus Sukkubus, Flogging Molly, Faith and the Muse, Siousxie and The Banshees, Evanescence, Emilie Autumn, Loreena McKennitt, Bon Jovi, Apocalyptica, Dead Can Dance, Faun, H.I.M and Within Temptation.
In otherwords, I have a broad taste in music.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #58
a morbid curiosity

Why didn't you just say that then?
It's not a particularly broad taste in music.

I like Siouxsie and occasionally some Emilie Autumn.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #59
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Do you know anything of the persecution and near genocide of non christians in northern europe ?

Gothicus, I reccomend you at least read this book, because it seems you have no idea of the magnitude of suffering and persecution that has occured over the last thousand years. This was a dark chapter for anyone people who did not comply with the church.

Witchhunt : History Of A Persucution by Nigel Cawthorne
Read what I said carefully. Did I say that no one was burned at the stake, or that no non-christians were burned at the stake? No. Just extremely few, if any, witches.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #60
~*Gothic-Bubbles*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Why didn't you just say that then?
It's not a particularly broad taste in music.

I like Siouxsie and occasionally some Emilie Autumn.
There are a lot of bands that I didn't mention.
Plus, I thought that it would take up too much space and people would get bored reading.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #61
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
There are a lot of bands that I didn't mention.
Plus, I thought that it would take up too much space and people would get bored reading.
Yeah, but you can give a general idea of what kind of music you like without naming every single band, you know.
It has been done, and will be done in many times to come!
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #62
~*Gothic-Bubbles*~

Gods, I have just seen the biggest spider ever crawling across my floor.
It was so big that my Grandad had to get the hoover out.
The size of that thing wasn't even funny.
Okay, forget your normal house spider. That thing was a fucking tarantula with skinny legs and hardly any hair. It was just as big, though.
Fuck. My skin's going to be crawling for the next half hour, though.
To think how near that thing was to me before I saw it.....
*shudders*
Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #63
jack_the_knife

For a second I was considering posting hundreds of large spider pictures.
But I'm a tad too lazy.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #64
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
I like Atreyu, The Rasmus, Mike Oldfield, Lacuna Coil, Kwan, Inkubus Sukkubus, Flogging Molly, Faith and the Muse, Siousxie and The Banshees, Evanescence, Emilie Autumn, Loreena McKennitt, Bon Jovi, Apocalyptica, Dead Can Dance, Faun, H.I.M and Within Temptation.
A broad taste in music is listening to Mozart, Louis Armstrong, Slipknot, then Throbbing Gristle.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #65
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
I'm using it as an example because we didn't get access to records of what happened during the Salem Witch trial.
Abigail Williams exsisted in real life, that much I do know, and that she must have been at least 14 when the Salem Witch Trials happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has to be records of the trials, as Salem gave out an "apology" or something of that sort fairly recently to the families of the people that were prosecuted as witches.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #66
Beowulf

Quote:
Read what I said carefully. Did I say that no one was burned at the stake, or that no non-christians were burned at the stake? No. Just extremely few, if any, witches.
They were mostly hanged in Britain (alleged heretics in the 16th and 17th century were burned), after being subjected to humiliating and barbaric interrogation and torture (see the book).

This was a time of hysteria and fear (at a time when the populace were largely illiterate) which served those in power very well for obtaining power over the population by creating various folk devils when they felt the need to create scapegoats (a good example of this was the `Great Fire Of London` the hysteria in the aftermath of the tradgedy fuelled hatred and suspicion towards anyone different, away from the true cause of the fire).

The `Burning times` is just a sensitive matter to some people.

I think I`m going to read up more about this, and `The Salem Witch Trials`, you mentioned transcripts written at the time , are they availible online anywhere (I take it you have studied this period in your history classes)?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #67
Beowulf

Quote:

They were mostly hanged in Britain (alleged heretics in the 16th and 17th century were burned), after being subjected to humiliating and barbaric interrogation and torture (see the book), regardless if they were guilty or not, or alleged witches.

This was a time of hysteria and fear (at a time when the populace was largely illiterate) which served those in power very well for obtaining power over the population by creating various folk devils when they felt the need to create scapegoats (a good example of this was the `Great Fire Of London` the hysteria in the aftermath of the tragedy fuelled hatred and suspicion towards anyone different, away from the true cause of the fire).

The `Burning times` is just a sensitive matter to some people.

I think I`m going to read up more about this, and `The Salem Witch Trials`, you mentioned transcripts written at the time , are they available online anywhere (I take it you have studied this period in your history classes)?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #68
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
They were mostly hanged in Britain (alleged heretics in the 16th and 17th century were burned), after being subjected to humiliating and barbaric interrogation and torture (see the book).
Yes, I know this. In saying burned, I meant 'put to death'. My point was that these people weren't witches.

Quote:
I think I`m going to read up more about this, and `The Salem Witch Trials`, you mentioned transcripts written at the time , are they availible online anywhere (I take it you have studied this period in your history classes)?
Google 'Salem Witchcraft Trials Transcripts'.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #69
Beowulf

Quote:
Yes, I know this. In saying burned, I meant 'put to death'. My point was that these people weren't witches.

Google 'Salem Witchcraft Trials Transcripts'.
Thanks !!!.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #70
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
A broad taste in music is listening to Mozart, Louis Armstrong, Slipknot, then Throbbing Gristle.
I listen to 3 out of the four.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #71
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I've done that, though it was Mozart then Gristle then Armstrong then Slipknot.
It was freaking weird man. It's like when you're on a bus and the driver hits the breaks too soon and your legs jerk out from under you.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #72
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
The world would be awfully boring if everyone liked the same thing, wouldn't it?
CHRIST! You realize that by saying this, you're implying that anyone that doesn't like Meyer because she writes shit, is clumped into the same group of not liking Stephanie Meyer as if we were all the same, therefore proving you're the one that's too boring to think of diversity elsewhere than your tastes?
Quote:
You try fucking living with Grandparents who are Evangelists and think you're the Anti-Christ.
Oh, living with evangelist grandparents.
So you probably live in the suburbs. Oh the agony!
Quote:
Uh... no you don't. Except for Bon Jovi, that's like the stereotype of what a "goth" listens to. Covering the spectre of stereotype from poser to cliché is still not a broad spectrum.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #73
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Ofcourse I do.
It was a bunch of girls that started the whole thing. Well, in the play it was.
They cried "Witch!" on people that they mainly didn't like.
For example, in the play, Abigail Williams cried "Witch" on Goody Proctor because John Proctor wouldn't have her back.
She also cried "Witch" on sevral other people, including Mary Warren when Mary threatened to tell the truth about what they were doing.
Holy fucking shit.

Are you saying that what happened in Salem was part of the burning times?
NO ONE was burned in Salem. NO ONE.

What's more, the reason the people in Salem were HANGED (NOT BURNED, YOU FUCKING DOLT) and/or crushed is completely different from why people were murdered in Europe.

The Salem Witch Trials were COMPLETELY separate from the burning times.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #74
Visum Res

First. The Crucible is purely a satire on McCarthyism masked behind the wonderful cloak of the Salem Witch Trials.

Second. Abigail also accused John. You HAVE demonstrated that you understand her feelings for him.

Third. The witch trials had absolutely NOTHING to do with real witchcraft, much like McCarthyism had very little to do with real Communism.

Fourth. Twilight and its sequels are a blight upon this earth that fill little girls heads with false romance, only to crush it horribly with her biggest crime of poor authorship. The series and its author should be purged off the planet.
Visum Res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #75
viscus

The opening of this thread screamed "troll."

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote