Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #901
Man In Room 5

Honestly, I suspect Admin will only ban someone if Admin is at risk of legal action against themselves. If a troll posts personal info about someone or links to something illegal then Admin is at risk of being sued and will cover their ass. Everything else will slide under their radar I bet. Anyway, since Geo said she reported some trolls I guess I'll do it too. I just wanted to know I wouldn't be the only one.

HP? Have you reported any of the recent trolling? If not, care to join us?
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #902
Geoluhread

That's why moderators are necessary.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #903
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
HP? Have you reported any of the recent trolling? If not, care to join us?
Yes, I have reported specific posts that I know can be justifiably deleted or at least used to warn and or ban the originator. You are not alone...in being ignored.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #904
Man In Room 5

I just did a search on 3 trolls and sent in 64 separate complaints between just those 3 members....and I still have 1 big name troll to nail. I actually complained so much that I wouldn't be surprised if I myself was banned for overkill. I'm pretty sure Admin isn't going to like reading them all....assuming they actually do read them.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #905
Saya

The last person to get banned was poisonedblueeyes, and that was because she made her own forum and asked us to join *shrug*

I reported a few posts last week or so, and nothing seems to have come of it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #906
Man In Room 5

Is she the nazi bitch that runs the goth forum with the runes and uses the colors of the Nazi party as her theme?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #907
Solumina

Just don't complain about posts (even those made by a known troll) unless that post actually breaks a rule (such posts that could be considered harassment instead of reporting posts where they were just being a dick), otherwise it just looks like you are picking out someone simply because you don't like them and chances are the admin will disregard your complaints, including ones that may be valid.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #908
Albert Mond

I've reported some, too.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #909
Saya

No, she was the one who posted really gross videos and pictures of herself and couldn't type her way out of a paper bag.

EDIT: Yeah, what Solumina said, I think I reported ten or so that were blatantly in violation of the rules.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #910
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
No, she was the one who posted really gross videos and pictures of herself and couldn't type her way out of a paper bag.

EDIT: Yeah, what Solumina said, I think I reported ten or so that were blatantly in violation of the rules.
It was a he. Emopoops was a he.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #911
Saya

I was so confused as to what he/she/it was >.<
Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #912
Man In Room 5

I actually kept a list of the posts I complained against if anyone wants to see it when I'm done. I only complained about racist terms (like emonip), linking to racist images, gay bashing (I even let some of this slide), and a few posts that didn't actually break TOS but proved that the trolls work together. Still, it came to 64 complaints and I intend to nail 1 more of them before I'm done.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #913
Geoluhread

What's the point of creating a forum and not coming to check it often?!! Really?
Put a moderator and you can be absent as much as you want to!!
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #914
Man In Room 5

Geo, from what I understand there were some abusive moderators here at one time. So, now they have a really strict "hands off" policy. Some of the older members could probably explain it better than me. I've never really been interested enough to look into it.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #915
Geoluhread

There's a thread called "the history of gothic.net" but I'm too depressed to look it up.
Explains all about the banning i guess

We had this discussion before on this thread, and most people agreed that Underwater Ophelia can be a good moderator.
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #916
Man In Room 5

Yeah, I read the history thread too. HP wrote it in hopes that others would fill in the blanks but nobody really did. Only Admin, the trolls and a couple other people know the real story and of course they're not talking. Everyone knows who was banned but few people can say exactly why. I suspect there were more threats of legal action than most people realize and Admin only stepped in when they realized they could be sued...but that is just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
We had this discussion before on this thread, and most people agreed that Underwater Ophelia can be a good moderator.
Maybe, but even if we have good people for mods that doesn't mean Admin will give them the job. I'm sure we have a few people that would make good mods but if Admin doesn't want mods we'll never get any no matter who we suggest. We can't dictate to Admin how to structure their system. Sadly, no matter how much we feel Gnet is "ours" it really isn't. It is theirs and we just play here.

EDIT: You know, I think this is the most I've ever seen you speak on here. You're usually just our resident game goddess.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #917
Geoluhread

I'm starting to think that the admins are watching right now and laughing.
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #918
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
More like "quit your whining."

Seriously: there is a website someone posted last week about social networking software for websites, and it said something to the effect of "don't moderate and the crowd will run itself, so you can save yourself the effort."

I think that is what we have here on Gnet.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #919
Eclipsing the Son

I would like to place my ballot for images in our signatures, limited to one image, of reasonable hight and width.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #920
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
I would like to place my ballot for images in our signatures, limited to one image, of reasonable hight and width.
Its the same problem though, only instead of just clicking on the picture thread, and some troll has a picture of a ruptured and infected penis, you can click on any thread and see ruptured and infected penises.

Its a silly example, but there's been issues in the past of people doing that, and posting much much worse, it got so bad they just got rid of image posting altogether. Plus they don't moderate enough to keep on top of that sort of thing, could be days before someone gets told off or banned for it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #921
Man In Room 5

I finally finished troll hunting. I sent in complaints on no less than 79 posts spread between only 4 trolls. (I won't say who but you could guess.) I also sent a message via the "Contact Us" to Admin, and last but not least I did a Whois on Gothic.net to get the Email given there just in case the "Contact Us" form doesn't actually reach the same address. If anyone wants I'll post the results of the Whois querry, but it's public record anyway so anyone can get it themselves if they feel their complaints aren't reaching the right person.

79 complaints sounds like a lot but I was actually pretty lenient when you consider that I read over 1550 posts. (Yes, I am a vindictive, relentless prick who goes to great lengths when offended or angry--ask any of my ex-GFs.) I cited blatant racism, homophobia and other types of slander when it was the prime motive of the post. I didn't include insults made in passing as part of a larger post because we all tend to do that occasionally. I tried to limit myself to those posts that really crossed the line. I also cited a handful of other posts that were not offensive in themselves but proved that the trolls are working together bragging about their trolling and planning future trolling. Lastly, I kept a list of direct links to all the posts I cited in case anyone else would like to complain about them or question my criteria for complaining.

This took over 8 hours. Remember that the next time one of the trolls tells you that they've gone back and read all your posts and have proof that you're the troll. I'm pretty sure none of the 4 I reported have that kind of dedication to any sort of idealism.

Now I can put the trolls back on ignore.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #922
Bat Attack

Quote:
I cited blatant racism, homophobia and other types of slander when it was the prime motive of the post.
I’m not a homophobic, but homophobia is not slander. It is as acceptable as being gay, if not more acceptable.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #923
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
I’m not a homophobic, but homophobia is not slander. It is as acceptable as being gay, if not more acceptable.
OK. Point taken. I should have said "gay bashing".
Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #924
XXChristabelXX

Quote:
I finally finished troll hunting. I sent in complaints on no less than 79 posts spread between only 4 trolls. (I won't say who but you could guess.) I also sent a message via the "Contact Us" to Admin, and last but not least I did a Whois on Gothic.net to get the Email given there just in case the "Contact Us" form doesn't actually reach the same address. If anyone wants I'll post the results of the Whois querry, but it's public record anyway so anyone can get it themselves if they feel their complaints aren't reaching the right person.

79 complaints sounds like a lot but I was actually pretty lenient when you consider that I read over 1550 posts. (Yes, I am a vindictive, relentless prick who goes to great lengths when offended or angry--ask any of my ex-GFs.) I cited blatant racism, homophobia and other types of slander when it was the prime motive of the post. I didn't include insults made in passing as part of a larger post because we all tend to do that occasionally. I tried to limit myself to those posts that really crossed the line. I also cited a handful of other posts that were not offensive in themselves but proved that the trolls are working together bragging about their trolling and planning future trolling. Lastly, I kept a list of direct links to all the posts I cited in case anyone else would like to complain about them or question my criteria for complaining.

This took over 8 hours. Remember that the next time one of the trolls tells you that they've gone back and read all your posts and have proof that you're the troll. I'm pretty sure none of the 4 I reported have that kind of dedication to any sort of idealism.

Now I can put the trolls back on ignore.
bloody pig-fuck... you aren't kidding, are you? dude you should have called. we could have played yahtzee or something. damn.
XXChristabelXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #925
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Can we get this "Danny" spam bot dealt with quickly. It doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote