Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #351
schoolsucksletsanarky

I get some shit about how I dress. I try to be friends with "normal" people, but I find it very hard because when I get within sight of two or more of them (one of them would be way to much of a coward, they need a crowd), they start making fun of me or something. My school is made up of "poser skaters" and the american eagle crowd as the preps, and they are pretty mean, but the rest of the people are pretty open minded and many are my friends.
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #352
Alarica

I was called a 'devil worshiping proper nut job' not so long ago, by some flabby arsed little scum bag, purely because he saw 1 of my tattoos, and i was dressed in black. I expect it though lol. The tattoo in question is a bloody great inverted pentagram so i was asking for that comment really.
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #353
LiquidEcstasy

I go to a school filled with chavs, so on the bright side even though they're laughing at me the rest of the world is laughing at them...
LiquidEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #354
Steele_Mistress

I got made fun of in school a lot for the way I dressed but never really cared.

Now that I work, the older people that I work with tend to question my piercings and ask why I have them and what's so good about them. So I put them in their place.
Steele_Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #355
LiquidEcstasy

My friend has 30 piercings, so when he goes to work he basically has to remove them ALL apart from one in his ear because they were deemed too "dangerous for the workplace". He works as a receptionist. O.O
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #356
Necrophagist

You all fail.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #357
AutumnFair

I was laughed at once in Korger by one of the workers. I just laughed back at him and went about my business.
One of the things that annoys me are my sisters. I was showing off my new boots to my Mum and as soon as they saw them, they started screaming. Not the most pleasant thing to hear but I guess there are worse things.
AutumnFair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #358
LiquidEcstasy

Haha, I'm guessing your sisters are younger?
My little sister steals my boots... But she can barely move in them so she sort of just shuffles along through the house
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #359
stolide

The closest thing to being made fun of is my scout master in boyscouts saying I look like a biker and laughing. The thing is I still wear my steel toed boots and wallet chain with the uniform. I imagine that I do look like a biker boy scout in some weird hard to imagine way...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #360
AutumnFair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidEcstasy
Haha, I'm guessing your sisters are younger?
My little sister steals my boots... But she can barely move in them so she sort of just shuffles along through the house
Yeah, so are my brothers, who enjoy screaming as well. To put it bluntly, I'm the oldest... apart from my parents. They're way older then me.
Or is it "I"?
I forget.
AutumnFair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #361
Dragoness2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
I know. I don't consider myself goth either. I see the steriotyping all the time. So ignorance and bullying will always exsist.
And this is where I get REALLY confused...
So, you DON'T call yourself goth, but your on a Gothic Forum, and you dress the way that most people would consider CALLING it that...so where do you fit in?
I'm not mocking or anything, I am seriously asking and trying to understand. D:
Dragoness2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #362
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness2071
And this is where I get REALLY confused...
So, you DON'T call yourself goth, but your on a Gothic Forum, and you dress the way that most people would consider CALLING it that...so where do you fit in?
I'm not mocking or anything, I am seriously asking and trying to understand. D:
She's trying to seem unique and deep, let her be.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #363
stolide

It's part of being goth to deny your gothicness. Just ask Eldritch or Murphy.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #364
Dina.

Well, yeah people do make fun of me and why, mainly because i don't dress up like them or look like them, but along with time, you become really indifferent.
I wouldn't advise changing your lifestyle because someone doesn't like it.
Dina. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #365
Elysiume

I get called vampire/ zombie/ undead a lot. I wear spf 25 sunblock, even in winter, and it makes me seem unnaturally pale. I also have a tendency to sit very still for long periods of time, just staring at things ad not talking much. I don't eat at school, because the food is terrible, so a lot of people I only see at school assume I don't eat ever. It's kind of funny really.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #366
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
I get called vampire/ zombie/ undead a lot. I wear spf 25 sunblock, even in winter, and it makes me seem unnaturally pale. I also have a tendency to sit very still for long periods of time, just staring at things ad not talking much. I don't eat at school, because the food is terrible, so a lot of people I only see at school assume I don't eat ever. It's kind of funny really.
Bring your own food?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #367
Vivi

I get called the biggest most horrible and demeaning insult that a goth can be called. Emo. The word makes my skin crawl. Although it does make me laugh that people can be so stupid. Anyone here ever seen an emo with robert smith hair, ripped fishnets sleeves and huge, buckled combat boots? I most certainly have not.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #368
LiquidEcstasy

Don't hate the emos -unless they have wronged you in some way in which case you may - but if the only reason you hate them is because of music/style then... don't.

And yes, some people do seem to have a hard time telling the difference in style, music, etc though the differences should seem, I suppose, pretty obvious.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #369
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Bring your own food?
Yeah, because that really hadn't occured to me yet. My school cafeteria is a real dump and there's nowhere else we're allowed to eat. So I just buy a sandwich after school and eat it on the bus. I'm not really a lunch person.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #370
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
Yeah, because that really hadn't occured to me yet. My school cafeteria is a real dump and there's nowhere else we're allowed to eat. So I just buy a sandwich after school and eat it on the bus. I'm not really a lunch person.
Just a hint of advice. Don't take rules too literally. 98% of your schooling career usually consists in playing the system. If people don't see you eating outside the cafeteria, then you technically haven't actually eaten outside the cafeteria.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #371
Vivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidEcstasy
Don't hate the emos -unless they have wronged you in some way in which case you may - but if the only reason you hate them is because of music/style then... don't.

And yes, some people do seem to have a hard time telling the difference in style, music, etc though the differences should seem, I suppose, pretty obvious.
I dont hate them for those reasons. I just find the way they take pride in apathy and are very self-centered to be very insulting to people like myself who are empathetic and very caring of others. Being called an emo is like people saying that im someone who only cares about my life and not others.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #372
Apathy's_Child

So from what I understand, you take it as a personal insult when someone isn't like you?

Okay then, enjoy your life full of searing indignation.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #373
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
I dont hate them for those reasons. I just find the way they take pride in apathy and are very self-centered to be very insulting to people like myself who are empathetic and very caring of others. Being called an emo is like people saying that im someone who only cares about my life and not others.
Oh come on get real. You really take it as an insult if someone calls you an emo? Have you ever thought how the emos feel about the whole situation? They're having everything and everyone that wears black attached to their label because it happens to be popular at the moment. Also, do you realize that you've just stereotyped a whole subculture as a bunch of uncaring apathetic bastards? This makes you no better than the people who wrongly labeled you as emo.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #374
Sir Canvas Corpsey

You know what I hate?

People who rant on about how labels are stupid or how we shouldn't judge a book by its' cover:

Labels help us categorize people and things better, if someone is looks like they're from a certain subculture it's pretty safe to say they fulfill at least one of the stereotypes of the culture, and if you don't like that, then you stay away. Yes you can miss out on potential friendships, relationships etc. by acting like this, but it makes dealing with people exponentially easier but if you want to wade through every person in the crowd to certify whether they are or are not someone you want to know then good for you.

You judge a book by its cover alot, that is what it is there for, if a book's cover wasn't intended to help make you decide whether or not to read it then it might as well be blank with just the title.

The same can be applied to people, if someone dresses a certain way they are trying to say something about themselves, though it may be subconcious. A person's appearance can tell you a lot about them, you just need to look for the right things, judging others is easy and can be effective if applied properly.

If people make fun of the way you look, it's probably because you look bad to them for some reason or another, whether that is a reflection of their own self-confidence is irrelevant because they'll still laugh at you regardless of when or where you have that little revelation that is supposed to make you feel better and superior to them. If what they think does have an effect on you then it just proves that they have more power and are superior to you.

/endrant
Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #375
Vivi

I think that the problem is that theres emo and then theres emo. I was referring to the angsty teens who insist on conforming to an image of hating society and self-mutilation (and who boast about it to me). And i think its more irritating than insulting, this being because they are judging by appearance and judging wrongly.