Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #26
Disaffected Shoelaces

I liked the original last line, too.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #27
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
Get rid of the 'poetry is pissing from the rooftops, not wearing sweatshop shoes' bit. It sounds like a slogan you'd put on a button, like 'dumpsters are for lovers.'
Quote:
I like your original final line: The planet's so much prettier/ when the minds in it are/ ugly." Just the way it is.
My attitude on those two lines is the exact inverse of yours.

Quote:
The original wording, mind you, where you kept your intellectual references to a minimum and stuck with clever wordplay and universal symbolism.
Universal symbolism? You mean, like, clichés? I would box you over this.

That said, I've seen a recent draft of this that has yet to be posted here, and JCC removed a fair number of the elements you found problematic.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Universal symbolism? You mean, like, clichés? I would box you over this.
I would box you over this too, not so much because I care so much one way or another about your opinion but because it would be fun to punch you in the face.

Quote:
That said, I've seen a recent draft of this that has yet to be posted here, and JCC removed a fair number of the elements you found problematic.
That's because he knows I'm a L337 P037 and I pwnd j00!

I'd like to see an update. JCC, let's see it!
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #29
JCC

I destroyed the poem entirely in my unadulterated rage at how insufferable I found it. I'm afraid that I don't think I have any record of the final draft that I produced.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #30
Scareebowfairy

Do you regret that yet? ^
Scareebowfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
Siris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Let's all watch the world burn
if the people get interesting.
The planet's so much prettier
when the minds in it are
ugly.
Last stanza was written very well. Good job!
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #32
JCC

Yo, poems I wrote when I was 13 are off-limits bro, there's some embarrassing shit from back there.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siris View Post
Last stanza was written very well. Good job!
You're an idiot. You know nothing of poetry and you decide to give feedback to someone else's work?
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Yo, poems I wrote when I was 13 are off-limits bro, there's some embarrassing shit from back there.
It's cheek-blushingly angsty, but I've read worse. d:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
JCC

You should see the one where I punch Jesus, shit is wild.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #36
LakitaJackson

Quote:
You should see the one where I punch Jesus, shit is wild.
You punched jeezus? Oh, noes!

God gonn' smite yo' ass!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
Siris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakitaJackson View Post
You're an idiot. You know nothing of poetry and you decide to give feedback to someone else's work?
Are you going to stop trolling everything I post, or just keep making an complete imbecile of yourself?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #38
Siris

Quote:
Yeah I think the first thing I ever wrote I was 13. It's still okay, when I reread. But yeah I know what you mean.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #39
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Are you going to stop trolling everything I post, or just keep making an complete imbecile of yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siris's Myspace

Oh so dark, I feel just like satan's little whore
Yeah...I'm the imbecile.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #40
Siris

Oh but you are as you can't taste the irony and sarcasm of the caption. So I guess you choose the latter, good job you are an imbecile!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #41
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Oh but you are as you can't taste the irony and sarcasm of the caption.
Irony and sarcasm? 'Splain please.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #42
Siris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakitaJackson View Post
Irony and sarcasm? 'Splain please.
God damn you are dumb.
The picture and caption are sarcastically making fun of how so many different kids dress up and take oh so dark pictures of themselves and post stupid ass captions hoping to be dark and gothic. It's ironic because I do I suppose I lean more towards a darker style. I'm making fun of people while also making of fun of myself.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
LakitaJackson

Quote:
God damn you are dumb.
The picture and caption are sarcastically making fun of how so many different kids dress up and take oh so dark pictures of themselves and post stupid ass captions hoping to be dark and gothic. It's ironic because I do I suppose I lean more towards a darker style. I'm making fun of people while also making of fun of myself.
So much lulz, I almost cracked a rib from laughter. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #44
Wolve

Back to the Poem...

First I wanted to commend you for using cock and balls in a poem and not have it be cheesy or sent to the editor of penthouse (not that there isn't a place for smut mind you).

I did like the original version better, but sometimes Raw is what your looking for in a poem. Where you take it is up to you. increasing the intellectual references or artfully simplistic symbolism. Its up to you. Who is your target audience. Who are you trying to reach with this?? With the upstart overtones it seems obvious that it is meant to reach or rebel rouse people. So decide who you want to reach and that may help the direction. Again, I was fond of it the way it was anyway.

I particularly like "why is controversy in cardiac arrest?" simple but does really beg the question. When taken with the context of the rest of the piece, it does provoke strong feelings and emotion. I am not sure that controversy is completely dead with people like Amy Winehouse in the news all the time, I mean she is no Madonna sticking it to the catholic church live and in concert, but she does cause quite a stir, or Eminem? So potentially some elaboration of the concept. I mean I see the disheartened feelings about the apathy of the "PC" generation. Maybe just more on what that "fire" is that is missing from the youth of today? or todays society as a whole?

I also liked this line from the original version "and teach poetry not as words but as an idea." This line is also powerful. It also tells the audience that you are with them and are personally wanting to change things. Ignoring the rest of the context; the concept of teaching poetry as an idea is powerful. Again it implies you have a stake in the world the poem is describing.

I like the soggy logs as well. Very vivid and made me crack a smile. Witty exaggeration of just how bad the state of affairs are in your poem and the level of effort that will be needed to get things going back in the right direction.

Finally, I did also like the reference to the world being more beautiful if the minds in it are ugly.

Overall I thought it was pretty darn spiffy, but thats just my 2 copper bits.

-Wolve

"You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.
You're always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past." - Richard Bach
Wolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #45
JCC

Poem is old, embarrassing and off-limits. It's nice that you liked it but for real, let it die, I cringe every time I see this thread.