Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

More deaths from unsafe water than from all forms of violence

More deaths from unsafe water than from war: UN

SOURCE

Mon Mar 22, 10:07 pm ET

UNITED NATIONS – More people die from unsafe water than from all forms of violence, including war, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Monday in a message to mark World Water Day.

The United Nations children's agency UNICEF noted that more than 155 million people, or 39 percent of the population in West and Central Africa, do not have access to potable water, with only eight of 24 countries in the region on track to meet key poverty-reduction targets by 2015.

"These deaths are an affront to our common humanity, and undermine the efforts of many countries to achieve their development potential," Ban said as the issue was discussed at a high-level UN General Assembly dialogue.

"Day after day, we pour millions of tons of untreated sewage and industrial and agricultural wastes into the world's water systems," he said, noting that clean water has become scarce and would be even scarcer as a result of climate change.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton raised the stakes, saying that global peace and security will depend on access to water.

"Access to reliable supplies of clean water is a matter of human security. It's also a matter of national security," she said.

Government stability and economic growth will always depend on countries' ability to successfully manage water in a world where water resources grow scarcer by the day, the chief US diplomat added, urging rich countries to realize the importance of their role in the matter.

Ban stressed that the world has the know-how to solve the challenge and urged nations to "become better stewards of our water resources."

(more at the SOURCE link above)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Entropic

The part that I hate about this, is that we have the means and the knowledge on how to address the issue, from country-wide to individual-specific solutions. Water infrastructure was something that the Romans addressed in the 300 BCEs, and yet everyone seems to stand there mystified like this is some kind of giant mystery.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

Yes. Sad but true. *sigh*

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote