Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Starbucks has gun lovers without good manners - commentary

Starbucks has gun lovers without good manners

7:27 am March 5, 2010, by Pulitzer Prize winning political commentator Cynthia Tucker of the Atlanta Journal Constitution

I’m a native of L.A. — Lower Alabama — so I’m quite comfortable in gun country. My father loved to go hunting; he owned a rifle, shotguns and a handgun. (He was also a veteran of combat in Korea.) But my dad would never have been needlessly provocative, wearing a holstered weapon into a restaurant or coffee shop. Nor would any of the hunters I knew in my hometown. Gun rack in the pick-up truck? Absolutely. Trying to prove something by strutting around with your gun belt? Nope.

(Nor would my dad have paid five bucks for a cup of coffee, but that’s for another post.)

The hunters I knew were all decent folk with common sense and good manners. They weren’t trying to shock the sensibilities of their neighbors by wearing a holster into Sunday worship service. The urge to be in-your-face is just what makes me so uncomfortable with these 2nd Amendment absolutists. They’re just itching for a confrontation.

If you weed out the extreme views on either side of this issue, I suspect that most moderate American citizens probably think something similar to this sentiment. I know, as a moderate myself, that I do. - Ben

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yep, I wouldnt mind having a gun someday(antique guns mostly, and maybe a modern one), but I would keep it locked up in my house, or if I for some odd reason really thought I would need it with me(I cant imagine why I would), at the very least would keep it concealed. Having a gun out and visible in public unless your job involves it is out of context, it's like talking about bomb construction while on an airplane, it's not the time or place for such a thing.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Solumina

I do tend to agree. One thing that I would like to point out, however, is the fact that in some states you are allowed to purchase a gun before you are allowed to get a concealed carry permit. Admittedly the reasoning behind that is for hunting and not carrying a gun around but I think it is something that should be addressed.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I do tend to agree. One thing that I would like to point out, however, is the fact that in some states you are allowed to purchase a gun before you are allowed to get a concealed carry permit. Admittedly the reasoning behind that is for hunting and not carrying a gun around but I think it is something that should be addressed.
You need to get a concealed carry permit before you can buy a gun in some states? I suppose I should have mentioned Wisconsin doesnt have a concealed carry law on the books last I checked. Though we do have a very big hunting season.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Despanan

People need to stop trying to troll IRL.

Sometimes it's guns, sometimes it's pulling your S.O./ bdsm sub around on a leash, but either way it's being a failfag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
You need to get a concealed carry permit before you can buy a gun in some states? I suppose I should have mentioned Wisconsin doesnt have a concealed carry law on the books last I checked. Though we do have a very big hunting season.
Oh no, that isn't what I meant. In Va you can get a gun at 18 but you must be 23 to get a concealed carry permit, which leads to a lot of people walking around with guns on their hips. I understand their desire for protection, there are some parts of the city I live in that I wouldn't walk around in without a weapon, but they are forced to hide the gun illegally, wear it where it is visible, or go without for an additional 5 years. So even the people who don't care about showing off their piece end up with it on their hip.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Entropic

A gun is not something you use to make a political statement with.

It's something you keep at home. If it's a really nice gun, maybe you'll put it on the mantlepiece. If it's an ugly gun, you'll put it unloaded in to the closet. If you have children, you should keep it locked up.

Don't wear it on your hip, though. You just look retarded and you're only hurting your cause.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
A gun is not something you use to make a political statement with.

It's something you keep at home. If it's a really nice gun, maybe you'll put it on the mantlepiece. If it's an ugly gun, you'll put it unloaded in to the closet. If you have children, you should keep it locked up.

Don't wear it on your hip, though. You just look retarded and you're only hurting your cause.
I must confess I would only buy a gun if it is nice looking. You'll never find me toting an AK-47 (an ugly gun in my opinion).

Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I must confess I would only buy a gun if it is nice looking. You'll never find me toting an AK-47 (an ugly gun in my opinion).
Well, maybe if you lived in Beruit, because then you would have a PROPER REASON, compared to shit like this.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Still Jack

Exactly. If you're not planning on killing people, you do not need semi-automatic or automatic guns.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Renatus

Never said I liked automatic weapons, I was just talking about guns in general. The only automatic weapons I want actually would be so I could convert them into their more famous non automatic roles.
Observe before: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erling_SMG.JPG
and after: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_Blaster.jpg

Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #12
Renatus

One last one.
Before: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8/83/Mg_34.jpg
After: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../df/Dlt-19.jpg
Well this last one I admit looks very similar to the real world gun it is made from.

Before: http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/...wis_gun_01.jpg
After :http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:...ater_negwt.jpg

Pretty much every gun in the original trilogy was made from a real world gun. Though they are admittedly far less effective in reality than in the movies, considering they have been neutered so to speak.