Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Murder.Of.Crows

An anthology of a dreamer.

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” -Oscar Wilde-

Contentment

I stand in a meadow. I know this meadow. Gray blades of grass, without distinction of color or purpose cover this place. They just stand, woven to the land. As winds blows gently across them, they move with her. Yet, still afraid to leave the world they have sewn themselves into. As they move, they blush the slightest hint of green, embarrassed by how easily swayed they were.

Following my friends, I dare not move from this field. For encircling my content, lays a forest. The trees casting shadows upon my meadow, ever changing, always casting despair and doubt.

Today, I awoke in my field, filled with discord. My mind in chaos. In this state of being, I begin to weep. The casting shadows surrounding me, crawling around my collapsed form, daring to devour my being. Along with my misery, the blades share my woe. They turn the color of Autumn.

In the midst of this state, a feeling crawls out. In the blur of tear soaked sight, a seraph stands before me. Her flames warming my skin, drying the tears upon my face. The shadows fleeting away from us. She stands before me on four legs. Her sapphire eyes gleam with the chill of ice. Her scold reminds me of the responsibilities of age and the courage that follows.

I begin to rise, when she drags her tongue across my face. A kiss, as a mother would give to her children, to remind them of her maternal compassion.

The meadow mimics my emotion, standing tall, flowing green waves of spring. The motherly wolf suddenly gives a sharp bark. In doing so she regains my full attention. I listen, yet she does not speak, though I know what she says. I find myself to my feet and begin to walk. The grass forms a path to let me through, I know they wish to follow me, but they still hold contentment in their land.

As I meet the forest, it's shadows stare back at me. I feel it's chaos wrapping in on it's self. Both and neither, excitingly awaiting me to tread It's floors and writhing in fear of my presence. This forest is my confusion in essence. My guide beckons me to enter the forest, to enter my own insanity.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Murder.Of.Crows

Well, was gonna wright a new story and got caught up with life. Still, i came up with this premise to it, kinda want to expand, but also kinda just want to let it die. So, in all my misplaced faith, i entrusted you guys to tell me what you think i should do.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
KontanKarite

You're a little purple prosey. But I think you owe it to yourself to finish this. Kind of Poe like, kind of Lovecraftian, but only in the ways that makes reading those guys frustrating. Try to make your language more precise. As a reader, I don't need you to saranade me in prose. I need you to IMPLY what you want to say in your writing. Can you maybe write each of these paragraphs in a single sentence?

I want to assume that the narrator has some relation to nature, but it's almost overdone and almost obscured in fluff and I don't really understand the relationship. Why does the grass reflect his moods? Why is that even important?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Murder.Of.Crows

When realizing you posted in this thing, i was all like, "shit Konatan, he is gonna hit me in the face with a bag of bricks". Instead, i get good advice. Sweet.

The world the narrator lives in is dream so his emotions and such, is reflected in the world. But, i realize i need to convey that better. The story itself i wrote waiting for my plane to come in, so it is, very, very rough draft. Still, i didn't know where to go from there, so thanks for the jumping off point, i'll try to figure out how i can fix it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
KontanKarite

Yeah. There was nothing in there that implied that it was a dream. The quote at the beginning didn't seem relevant. I just thought you were trying to be cool. I wouldn't outright say that it's a dream sequence, but maybe there's ways that you can strongly hint that it is a dream. Maybe play up the cerebral aspects of the piece.

Wow... bag of bricks. I think that's funny. Thanks. I'll probably be using that.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Apathy's_Child

Actually, this isn't that bad. I'd say try to move closer to your natural vernacular though - it feels a little forced. I can't stand self-conscious language in writing and it's something most people do until they're picked up on it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote