Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #51
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Actually no, the Egypt stuff Ann Rice and others use is completely made up and has no roots in Egypt. In fact as far as I've seen, Egypt is one of the few societies without a vampire legend of some sort. Though the vampyre legends actually predate Egypt.
I read all of Rice's vampire stories years ago, before I even joined gnet, so I do know what you're talking about.
Are you implying that there is vampire lore that ISN'T totally made up...?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #52
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Are you implying that there is vampire lore that ISN'T totally made up...?
Yes, because I am really Dracula! muahahahaha.. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to count to 12 with the help of my pet bats muahahahahaha!...

.....Anyways what I mean is by made up, is lore that doesn't have actual origins in past cultures.

Oddly enough, on that note, there are some bits of vampire lore that have vampires which are compelled to count everything, so if you want to get away from one, just drop a bunch of rice or other numerous items on the ground, and they'll have to stop and count each grain. So yeah, kudos to Sesamie Street.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #53
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Oddly enough, on that note, there are some bits of vampire lore that have vampires which are compelled to count everything, so if you want to get away from one, just drop a bunch of rice or other numerous items on the ground, and they'll have to stop and count each grain. So yeah, kudos to Sesamie Street.
I heard that before about vampires, but I never made a connection with the Count on Sesame Street. Everything is so clear to me now!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #54
6SixSick

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen. View Post
Fortunately, that pressure from other Blacks to embrace the Hip-Hop lifestyle hasn't gotten to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on this board. And WolfMoon, I can also agree with you on 2 points: 1) Some people of colour feel alienated from embracing a subculture where everyone is expected to look pale as a ghost, despite claims of inclusiveness & 2) I love women of every colour damn self! Not to deviate from the topic of a discussion-thread I started, but I love Rap music. However, I choose to listen to it in very small doses compared to the rest of civilisation who choose to listen to it 24/7. Oldschool late 1980s-mid 1990s Rap--the "Gangsta" kind & the "politically-conscious" kind--is the best to listen to, to me anyway. After Tupac & Biggie were assasinated, the content of Rap music started to become more materialistic. "Buy this, buy that, flex this" or "it's all about the Benjamins" replaced "fight the power" or "know the ledge". Rap started to lose whatever intelligence the lyrics once had since the advent of this New Orleans "Bling-Bling"-inspired bullshit in 1999, but that's another discussion-thread of its own. In Hip-Hop clothing [Southpole, Pelle Pelle, Ecko, FUBU, G-Unit, etc.], I look/feel like a total jackass! Somehow, Gothic fashion looks better on me. The mass Rap culture is populated by mostly sexist/homophobic/anti-Semitic/racist individuals [most, but not all of them]. It is because of that mass culture's adherents' macho-ass "survival of the strongest" behaviour that I distance myself from it. I still love Rap music, but not the culture, the clothing or the mindset. Fo' shizzle.
I look awesome in everything, but prefer the Goth look over everything else.
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #55
Catch

I've been noticing an upserge of hot pink, violet, blue and orange Goths. It is kind of exciting.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #56
6SixSick

I'm an English Goth in the homeland perfect Gothy weather grey, dark, depressing, rainy. In England everyone is miserable to a certain extent because of the weather if an eskimo has 500 words for snow and englishman has a thousand for rain! It is spotty, drizzle, slashing it down, pissing it down, Matrix rain (lol) shower, light shower, heavy shower with spots of drizzle, piddling, middling, dribble, chucking it down, raining cats and dogs, mizzle, scotch mist, pelting etc etc to the power of 100
it makes me wonder though can you have a really "gothic" viewpoint in the perma-sun of california??
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #57
Catch

Here are some white people

... yellow people

and purple people

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #58
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
I'm an English Goth in the homeland perfect Gothy weather grey, dark, depressing, rainy. In England everyone is miserable to a certain extent because of the weather if an eskimo has 500 words for snow and englishman has a thousand for rain! It is spotty, drizzle, slashing it down, pissing it down, Matrix rain (lol) shower, light shower, heavy shower with spots of drizzle, piddling, middling, dribble, chucking it down, raining cats and dogs, mizzle, scotch mist, pelting etc etc to the power of 100
it makes me wonder though can you have a really "gothic" viewpoint in the perma-sun of california??
You know that California gets rainy and foggy, right?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #59
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
No geography and meteorology were never my strong points. Thanks for educating me. How about Orlando though?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #60
Solumina

Orlando is in Florida and Florida gets plenty of storms.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #61
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Orlando is in Florida and Florida gets plenty of storms.
yeah I got "D" in geography. I know where America is though.....vaguely..... I am a fan of America though the cultural head of the Eastern world :P
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #62
Spookycreep

Quote:
A thousand words for rain... that says alot. I like rain, but I don't think I'd like that much of it. My perfect day is grey skies, no rain and mild temperatures. A nice, mellow kind of day ( where the sun decides to stay in bed).
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #63
Spookycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Here are some white people

... yellow people

and purple people

Purple? Again with that California grape shit! (I'm joking! I'm joking!)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #64
Catch

lol yah modern gothic is going in various directions.

Here is a green...

and pink emo

Ya, I feel kind of old. We didn't have multi-color extensions and everything else growing up. It is fun, but I'd probably feel ancient attempting any of these looks.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #65
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
lol yah modern gothic is going in various directions.

Here is a green...

and pink emo

Ya, I feel kind of old. We didn't have multi-color extensions and everything else growing up. It is fun, but I'd probably feel ancient attempting any of these looks.

She's not green she's moldy!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #66
Catch

Quote:
She's not green she's moldy!
Mold is green.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #67
Solumina

She doesn't look moldy. Perhaps mossy but not moldy.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #68
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I hear they also have night time.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #69
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
She doesn't look moldy. Perhaps mossy but not moldy.
Posh mold.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #70
JJ_Spade

Hey The Count On Sesame Street Was My Favorite When I Was Little! I Should Have Know That I Was A Goth Back Then But Oh Well Lol! Then Came Oscar, My Second Favorite...He Was Always A Smart Ass. I Always Liked The Grumpy, Dark, Or Smart Ass Characters...Even Grumpy From The Care Bears. Should Have Known I Was Different When Everyone Loved Elmo And I Didn't Lol! Although Grover And Cookie Monster Was Alright I Guess Lol!

Any man may easily do harm, but not every man can do good to another. -Plato-
JJ_Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #71
JJ_Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I heard that before about vampires, but I never made a connection with the Count on Sesame Street. Everything is so clear to me now!
Thats Interesting, Perhaps It Was Based On (As Far As The Lore Goes And The Count From Sesame Street) O.C.D (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Maybe Back Then People Felt That These People Were Crazy Enough To Actually Give Them An Image. Perhaps From Their Countless Counting...People Figured That The Image Should Be Immortal. That's Some Pretty Mind Blowing Shit!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #72
Spookycreep

Hey JJ! I like your signature. I use to work in the ship yard here and had a hard hat that I painted black with a little white halloween type ghost on one side. I called the hat Plato.
Here's one of my favorite quotes from him "The visble is the shadow of the invisble." Spooky.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #73
Spookycreep

I need some help. How do you post messages to friends? I can only access the page when some one sends me a message but after I leave the page I can never find it again...until someone sends me another message. The FAQ answered a few of my questions but didn't tell me the main thing I wanted to know.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #74
JJ_Spade

If They Left You A Visitor Message On Your Page Just Click On Their Name. Yeah The Faq Don't Help Me Much Either. Lol

Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #75
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookycreep View Post
I need some help. How do you post messages to friends? I can only access the page when some one sends me a message but after I leave the page I can never find it again...until someone sends me another message. The FAQ answered a few of my questions but didn't tell me the main thing I wanted to know.
Go to User CP and go to send message. Type in their user name. Mine is Catch and send. That's it. I don't think it helps if they are in your contacts list or not.