Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #26
CuckooTuli

So, after finally making my way through 230 pages, I can confirm that Apathy speaks better Limey than half the people I know.

Also, I've signed up for another 200 pages when series 2 is finished, because it is fucking compulsive.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #27
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Thanks man - I'm already a pretty big Peep Show fan (I'm gonna cry the day my country embarrasses me with an American reboot). Will definitely check out Ideal, especially if it's just as good.

The major one that kept catching me out is that pissed in England apparently means drunk, and not mad. And they don't say mad for angry.

They're a strange people.
Pissed in Australia means both angry and drunk - we like to sit in the middle here.

Dag is another word, it's when you do or say something silly, or you don't dress up, but it also means the little bits of poo that hang off a sheep's butt, and it depends on the generation you are talking to, to the meaning and the context of the conversation.

Yet another totally irrelevant post by Fruity.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #28
Apathy's_Child

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
So, after finally making my way through 230 pages, I can confirm that Apathy speaks better Limey than half the people I know.

Also, I've signed up for another 200 pages when series 2 is finished, because it is fucking compulsive.
This just in: wanna guess what Cuckoo is besides a total masochist, very patient, a scholar & an ass-saver?

YES SHE IS.

I swear, since I came on here, I've met more redheads than I ever saw in my freakin' life. That's why I stay, despite the "music" section, the endless discussions on how to paint shit on T-shirts, the sea of bad poetry... for ladies' follicles.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #29
CuckooTuli

It's bizarre to me how much you guys like red hair. It's not exactly sought after over here. You hardly ever see anyone with their hair dyed ginger-red; pillar box, ALWAYS with the pillar box!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #30
Apathy's_Child

This is bizarre to ME. You know what, FUCK England. I've decided to rewrite this for NY anyway. This disdain for red hair only confirms I made the right choice.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
This is bizarre to ME. You know what, FUCK England. I've decided to rewrite this for NY anyway. This disdain for red hair only confirms I made the right choice.
I think that'd be a shame, to be honest. I get preferring to write about places you know, but there's a reason you chose London to begin with, right? Most of the myths wouldn't really work outside of the British Isles. You could try and claim they'd been brought over to the States, but then it'd be like "where are the others from the rest of the world, if it's so easy for these things to migrate?" I think you'd have to change to much, and it wouldn't be what it is anymore. It'd just be another generic supernatural monster thing.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #32
Apathy's_Child

Yeah, that's a problem; I could use more local myths if I picked somewhere a little more rural than NY, but then we're back to writing about places I've never been (though I guess at least the accent would be more familiar).

I'll have to give it some thought - obviously the myths would have to be drastically revised, and I can't really think of a way round that that won't make into, as you say, a generic monster show. However, I will say that I think we can pull off the generic supernatural thing quite easily in the State. it just... seems more right to me, somehow, set here. Maybe it's because our own history starts so recently, we don't really have any age-old monster myths as such, so we're open to new ones - I don't know. Interesting thought. Although, now I think about it, it's possible that it's actually not that interesting and I'm extremely high.

In any case, you're a goddamn scholar & a gentleman. Thanks for your input and advice on this, and thank you SO much for getting through something that's pretty much book-length in like a week. And for the suggestion of "he is fucking extra" to mean "he crazy", which I also managed to use in a sentence the other day. British slang is kick-ass.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #33
CuckooTuli

You're more than welcome - it really was my pleasure. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Although your mad Limey skillz came as something of a surprise - I was expecting something more like "Gnet in the Zombie Apoc: THE SERIES".

I still think sticking with the Celtic myths is a plan, though. Maybe you could do another one set in America? Similar vein, but different characters and storyline. I'd definitely miss the changelings and the will-o if you had to lose them, they were awesome.