Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #26
Murder.Of.Crows

No and I completely feel bad for it, for the same reason. Honestly I am a complete hypocrite with pirating, I am against it, but I still do it. It's too easy to just download something when you don't have the money. If it makes you feel any better most of my ebooks are college books, only a few are novels.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
Grausamkeit

I so wish that I didn't need physical books for college! I have no excuses and offer none. Argh, matey.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
Saya

Sometimes I wish I could pirate text books. They're so fricken expensive, if the library has them I won't buy them. Luckily my library is getting good at offering them as ebooks.

But yeah, I know its easy when you don't have money, but either go buy it as soon as you do, or get something public domain at www.gutenberg.org, or something with a creative commons liscence, Cory Doctorow published two books that way! I only read Down And Out In The Magical Kingdom but it was a pretty good, easy read.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
Grausamkeit

You know what probably cuts down on a lot of that? The fact that the teachers normally insist on the most current/relevant edition of the text that they require.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #30
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
No and I completely feel bad for it, for the same reason. Honestly I am a complete hypocrite with pirating, I am against it, but I still do it. It's too easy to just download something when you don't have the money. If it makes you feel any better most of my ebooks are college books, only a few are novels.
I don't think there's anything wrong with pirating music. Books are indeed different, but tangiable music (as in outside of iTunes and the majority of downloaders) like the few CDs and Vinyls we have left in this breaking world are unreasonably priced. Same with film.

The only musicians who'd be pissed about someone illegal downloading their music are probably only in it for the money.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #31
AshleyO

Libraries do just as much damage to royalties with books as pirating the book. Also, make sure to not let your friends borrow your books.

If you've pirated, borrowed, checked out, or ever in any way read a book for free, you should be fucking ashamed of yourself. You criminal.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Libraries do just as much damage to royalties with books as pirating the book. Also, make sure to not let your friends borrow your books.

If you've pirated, borrowed, checked out, or ever in any way read a book for free, you should be fucking ashamed of yourself. You criminal.
Some books are so bad they might as well be free. In the future they should only price the books worth reading. The public opinion will be decided on both statistics and an elite table of elders fronted by Cormac McCarthy.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #33
CuckooTuli

I just read this a few weeks ago, and am excited to see the series. I'm hoping to see them iron out some of the kinks in book, which I found quite erratic - amazing in places, so-so in others. Although it was nearly always interesting, I felt some parts were much better than others.

(SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW)

I thought the biggest weakness of the book was the sparse presence of the new gods - although it was clear from the outset that Mr. Wednesday is no fucking paragon himself, they WERE set up as the antagonists, and it's difficult to build much menace around characters who barely feature and aren't really discussed in depth. Although I thought the two occasions on which the new gods did feature at length - the 'unbirthing' incident, and the Television passages - were brilliant. I think I'd like to see their role developed in the series.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #34
Mandragora Dragon

Is anybody scared about Tom Hank's influence?
Mandragora Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
Ben Lahnger

Nope. Not at all. His adept work starring in and producing 2007's "Charlie Wilson's War" tells me he knows how to respect the source material when crafting a movie from a book. He also knows how to assemble a talented team appropriate to the task at hand, as his work producing HBO's 2010 mini-series "The Pacific" shows.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #36
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post

(SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW)

I thought the biggest weakness of the book was the sparse presence of the new gods - although it was clear from the outset that Mr. Wednesday is no fucking paragon himself, they WERE set up as the antagonists, and it's difficult to build much menace around characters who barely feature and aren't really discussed in depth. Although I thought the two occasions on which the new gods did feature at length - the 'unbirthing' incident, and the Television passages - were brilliant. I think I'd like to see their role developed in the series.
Have you read the 10th Anniversary Edition? There's significantly more character development. Gaiman has also mentioned in several interviews that he had to trim the story back significantly, and is planning to use the series to revive lost details and backstory. I'm excited. Just a little.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #37
Grausamkeit

Oh.....I do not like this.....if I didn't know better I'd swear I was being trolled.....