Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #1351
Sobeh

I actually kind of liked the color use in that movie.... the cinematography was a good watch, even if the content wasn't at all worthy of attention.

I kind of thought that if they had filmed Aeon Flux the way they filmed UV, then it'd have been closer to the Liquid Television inspiration. C'est la vie...

As for what I saw recently, my damned roomie and his S.O. decided to watch Just Friends - oh. My. God. Words can't describe it... I feel like Mz. White from Clue - "Flames, flames! Shooting past my face; hot, flaming flames..."

Just before that was Shooting Gallery, with none other than Freddie Prinze, Jr., in possibly the worst billiards movie of all time. I'm cursed, I tells ya, cursed!

The saving grace is that now it's my selections: Domino with the indefatigable Kiera Knightley, and then Saw II, which has me kind of intimidated...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #1352
Empty_Purple_Stars

Oh my god..

SAVE YOURSELF!!!

Do NOT watch Domino.

Save your Cornea for Saw II which is actually quite good. Much better than the first one. Hmm let me find my Domino review.

Back away from your DVD player in the mean time..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #1353
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Domino

I thought perhaps this movie had potential from reading it's description. Would have been better to watch the previews because that gives you a better idea of what to expect; rude girl with an attitude, ego, british accent, and pretty face. Makes for a long night of constant eye-rolling.

This film also shows you just how much to trust films that begin with "Based on actual events," especially when it deplicts a suicide bombing of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas by a Middle Easterner as having happened in the last 2 years or so. Mmmm'yeah, I don't really recall that ever having gone down. I'm not even going to touch the caricatures of people from Afghanistan either. And as though the insulting of your intelligence wasn't enough for two hours, the writer has the balls to end the film with a monologue by the main character as saying, "As for what is true and isn't true about this story, that's none of your fucking business!" It IS my fucking business, asshole. I paid to see this bullshit, so don't tell me to fuck off when I fell for your stupid ass marketing ploy of "based on actual events."

Seriously though, this was just a mind numbing headache through and through. Aside from the girl with the attitude problem and super ego, they throw in something you'd expect to see out something like say, the Matrix, about a total stranger (Tom Waits) walking up to Domino and spelling out what her destiny is (which is to be part of this "prophecy) based on all this shit he had no way of knowing and answering all of her questions about life (after he goes through this religious bullshit).

And to top it off, it was directed by Tony Scott, president of ADHD films. If you've watched "Man on Fire" with someone prone to epileptic seizures, you'll know what kind of bullshit this involves. Don't even bother feeding yourself or the kids their dosage of Ritalin, because they'd enjoy it much more without it. None of the shots throughout the movie can last for more than three seconds before entering a rapid sequence of 5 cuts that last a fraction of a second each and frame absolutely nothing in it's entirity. And then there's this flickering bullshit with the film exposure. It was enough to drive me into taking several tablets of advil... with 120 proof rum after watching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
A FUCKING MEN!!!!!!!!!!

I want those Two Hours of my life BACK after watching it!!!

Could the plot have been anymore Schizophrenic??

Its an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography.

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!!!!!!!

Tony Scott takes what COULD have been an interesting story, and violates it like a Giant Herd of Horny Baboons!

And what the FUCK was with the Repeating of the Lines??

Is there an Echo? Echo?

FUCK!!

Equally frustrating is the fact that the film ignores interesting aspects of the real Domino's life. They completely ignored her battle with Pain Killers, which recently ended in her DEATH!! They flip flopped on her Sexuality, which is totally bogus. The list goes on and on.

Which is really sad, because parts of the cast are amazing Actors, and her story WAS an interesting one.

It could have been a great fucking movie..

It just wasn't..

Ugh..

*pours shots*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Yes... to like everything you said.

I almost forgot about the repetitious bullshit and the coffee can audio filter. "(Normal audio) My name's Domino Harvey... (coffee can audio filter) My name's Domino Harvey. (Normal again) And this is my story... (coffee can audio filter) And this is my story."

Apparently the screen writter called the editing "style" of Domino, "Punk Rock Fever Dream." Mmmmm'yeah. Sounds like the product of several bad acid trips. Did I say sounds like? The whole fucking movie looks like one big acid trip too.

But yeah, it would have been a great movie with A.) a different director, and B.) less of the Hollywood bullshit and more of the real Domino Harvey.

That hits all of the Monotonous Highlights.

Save yourself.

Please?

Saw II = Good
Domino = Frontal Lobotomy

*sporks eyeball*
Old 03-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #1354
Beowulf

Cool The Haunting

The Haunting (Directed by Robert Wise, 1963)

This film is one of my all time favourites, it has so much atmosphere, and unlike its vastly inferior 1999 re-make that relied on tonnes of CG effects to carry the film, Director Robert Wise chose to use the power of suggestion, utilising the fantastic cinematography and editing to create the ethereal atmosphere of hill house to a chilling effect.

"The original film version of The Haunting is remarkable in that it follows the plot of Shirley Jackson's novel very closely for most of the film. The basic plot and cast remains the same, though some minor details (Dr. Montague of the novel becomes Dr. Markway) are changed. Eleanor Vance, Theodora ("Just Theo," she says in the film), and Luke Sanderson accompany Dr. John Markway during an investigation into the paranormal. Markway believes that an old mansion with a sinister past called Hill House will provide him with the proof he seeks of the existence of the supernatural. Luke is the next in line to inherit the house, and is volunteered by the current owner to join Markway both as a skeptic and overseer. Eleanor and Theodora are the only responders to an invitation Markway sent out to various people who had come in contact with the supernatural at some point in their lives. After the four meet up in Hill House, strange things begin to happen, most of which seems centered on Eleanor. Eleanor finds that she enjoys the attention the house affords her, and becomes drawn deeper and deeper in by the forces within the house. The film follows the novel so closely that The Haunting of Hill House article contains all the necessary information on the general events of the story aside from the differences noted in the following section." Source

I think this film is an absolute classic, and reccomend that it is to be watched late at night in the dark...

"SCREAM...no one will hear you! RUN...and the silent foosteps will follow, for in Hill House the dead are restless!"
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #1355
Ben Lahnger

Friday night we watched "The Man With Two Brains" with Steve Martin ... again. Steve's comedic abilities were never so strongly on display as when he teamed up with writer/directer Carl Reiner.

Sometimes I'm just in the mood for mindless humor, and that film is one of my favorites of its kind.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #1356
Sobeh

So, unfortunately I'd already rented the thing, so had to watch Domino... hmm. I'm not sure at all what to make of the thing. "Take off his arm...." yeah, I'd have waited for some kind of confirmation about the overall strategy before letting my Spanish sidekick take a shotgun to the guy, right in front of the celebs no less. Wow. The critique referred to just a few posts ago was pretty spot on. I watched the special features too, and I wondered how it was that the real Domino let it all come out this way. One thing is for sure - the movie didn't tell me anything about Domino.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #1357
Empty_Purple_Stars

Well unfortunately Domino is dead now, so she can't say much about it..
Old 03-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #1358
bunnicula

Last night I saw "The Libertine," starring JOHNNY DEPP. Yep, there's a new Johnny Depp movie- apparently it wasn't advertised AT ALL. There were about 5 people in the theatre, and it is only showing on one screen in the whole city. Anyway, I thought it was excellent. Here's a brief synopsis:

In 17th century England, the Duke of Rochester (Johnny Depp), an alcoholic, brothel-frequenting, theatre-addicted poet and nobleman prances about in frilly clothes, struggling with his strong desire to be against the world, yet wanting somewhat to be a part of it. He is pressured by King Charles II to grow up and become part of the court, to become the King's royal poet and playwright, and to be his reign's "Shakespeare," and make his era famous for great literature and theatre. His response is a "frivilous play about knobbing," which pissess off the King, as well as the visiting French dignitaries. Following this is the Duke's decline into illness, madness, and death.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #1359
tekajo

Saw II: Could have been better if not for the ending. Disafuckingpointing.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #1360
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
Last night I saw "The Libertine," starring JOHNNY DEPP. Yep, there's a new Johnny Depp movie- apparently it wasn't advertised AT ALL.
Strangely, I heard about that movie through the British paper "The Week" that's periodically forwarded to my family from some friends in the UK. I saw a brief ad for it on TV a week or so later, but that was about it.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #1361
Snugglekeeg

I just watched "V for Vendetta" last night and absolutely loved it. Of course being a brit I was a big fan of the whole reincarnation of Guy Fawkes theme they had going on. However I did feel like many americans probably wouldn't understand the history behind it. There were some very obvious references to what is currently going on in the government, of course the same could be said about 1984 and a miriad of other sources.
Snugglekeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #1362
Sobeh

Saw II wasn't all that bad, actually. The twists were great, and frankly I *really* dig the philosophy espoused by Jigsaw (Gary), even if his implementation of motivation leaves a lot to be desired.... in any event, I found this movie to be a really good follow-up movie.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #1363
Pathogen.

"The Stranger" [1946]. Starring & directed by Orson Welles. I'll never get tired of watching this Film-Noir classic.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #1364
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
"The Stranger" [1946]. Starring & directed by Orson Welles. I'll never get tired of watching this Film-Noir classic.
Is this based at all on the absurdist novel by Albert Camus?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 AM   #1365
TheKorovaMilkbar

"V for Vendetta"

An ABSOLUTELY AMAZING movie! I want to start a revolution now.

I give it 9.8 out of 10.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #1366
tenet_2012

I just watched "Crash".

It deserved Best Pecture of thr Year. I have never seen race problems depicted in quite that way before.

It was insightful.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #1367
tenet_2012

I just watched "The Butterfly Effect".

I am now beginning "Trainspotting". I have read the book but I have never seen the movie.

--Geisha
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #1368
prettylikedrugs

I watched 'THE PROPOSITION' at the weekend. The film that Nick Cave did the screenplay for. A good film in many respects, but not the nicest and kinda depressing.
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #1369
Deviant Kitten

I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night. It rocked! I even persuaded my Potter-hating boyfriend to watch it with me *grin*
He reluctantly admitted that it was "pretty good"...

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #1370
tenet_2012

I am not a big fan of the Harry Potter movies.

They are a little to fairy-taleish for me, like Narnia. It seems like every time they are in an impossible postition the most improbable thing happens to save them.

--Geisha
Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #1371
Empty_Purple_Stars

But the last one, Goblet of Fire, was MUCH Darker.

The first Potter movie where someone gets killed as well.

But I am a bit annoyed they chose to deviate from the book storyline quite a bit.

All in all it was pretty good.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #1372
Phayte

Last movie I watched was Dark Water

It sucked. I regret renting it..
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #1373
Beowulf

Cool The Greatest Terror Tale Ever Told!

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961, Directed by Roger Corman)

Francis Barnard goes to Spain, when he hears his sister Elizabeth has died. Her husband Nicholas Medina, the son of the brutest torturer of the Spanish Inquisition, tells him she has died of a blood disease, but Francis finds this hard to believe. After some investigating he finds out that it was extreme fear that was fatal to his sister and that she may have been buried alive! Strange things then start to happen in the Medina castle. IMDB

I saw this the other night, and I thought it was brilliant.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #1374
Ben Lahnger

My Mom turned me onto The Pit and The Pendulum when I was young. My horror lit club screened this as a fundraiser in high school. Poe's brilliance has never been better visualized. And Vincent Price, well, what's not to like!

And I have to say that there is something about the colors and pacing evident in this movie that I like over films today. Especially for horror films. The substitution of jump cut editing and graphic special effects is no match for building genuine fear and suspense with fully realised characters and patient direction. And I just love the look of films from that era. But that's just my opinion.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick

Last edited by Ben Lahnger; 03-21-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: formatting
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #1375
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
My Mom turned me onto The Pit and The Pendulum when I was young. My horror lit club screened this as a fundraiser in high school. Poe's brilliance has never been better visualized. And Vincent Price, well, what's not to like!

And I have to say that there is something about the colors and pacing evident in this movie that I like over films today. Especially for horror films. The substitution of jump cut editing and graphic special effects is no match for building genuine fear and suspense with fully realised characters and patient direction. And I just love the look of films from that era. But that's just my opinion.

Ben, I agree with you. the older horror films are far superior, to their modern counterparts. Its a sad state of affairs when the film industry is becoming more obssessed with spectacle, than the actual storytelling, and feeling.

I much prefer the Universal monster series, the Hammer Horror films, and the classic silent horror films, over the modern horror films.