Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #76
Metatron

Quote:
Be careful with those people (Dion Fortune, Israel Regardie, Mathers and Crowley). They are not what they seem. Many of you won't believe there is any danger in them. That's fine.

The problem is, that they came off as experts adepts in things that they knew nothing of.

Direct to the point: Crowley...

The danger is tha he is not the same person that you read in his books.
It is easy to come off as something your not on paper.

But the fact is that while he encouraged people to be open about their sexuality, he himself would not admit he was gay.

While he told people to kill the personality, he himself remained attached to it (or perhaps pretended to be). This would make him a black brother who resided in Da'ath, for those of you who speak my language.

The foundation of his work, the Golden Dawn, was a huge misunderstanding of Hebrew/Qabalistic translations crossed with erroroneus Egyptian theology, which Mathers and Westcott never really understood.

Crowley presented ideas from Daoism/Budhism/yoga that no longer retained any of the original intentions, and were actually dangerous for his students.

Crowley did not really worship the devil, he worshipped himself. (A Black Brother).

Fortune was no better, with her hidden alliance with Crowley (If it was true).
First of all, anyone to believe in and look up to someone they know nothing about is just plain stupid. If you really studied Aleister Crowley like you've suggested, then you would know all about him...like how he was bisexual (which he did admit) and not gay. Not to mention, he wrote an autobiography and several of his journal entries are published.

He told people to kill the ego, not the personality. Residing in Da'ath isn't being a hipocrite, so to speak. Da'ath isn't a sefira - it's considered to be in between planes. Therefore, you can't reside there. Really it's just a mental state associated with knowledge and wisdom...looked to be Binah and Chokmah combined.

Last, Aleister Crowley wasn't following one system of magick OR the Golden Dawn. Although he was a member, he had created his own magickal model to live by, and therefore nulls all of your words against him in approach to make him 'false' and 'unworthy' to be recognized.

As for my update on my favorite writers, I've been reading an awful lot of E.E. Cummings and Herman Hesse.

-Metatron
Metatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #77
ayca

Thumbs up Read these people..

Ian McEwan; especially "First Love,Last Rites", Lily Prior, Chuck Palahniuk and Joyce Carol Oates. But the best one is İhsan Oktay Anar...
ayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #78
horrorgirl

I love Byron,Poe,Dickens, the Brontes and a bunch of other English literature type books. My favorite modern writer is probably Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #79
ayca

Joyce Carol Oates, Ian McEwan, Chuck Palahniuk and Lily Prior. I like Bukowski, too.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #80
gothictuesday

Margaret Atwood, Ursula K. LeGuin, Richard Brautigan, Henry James, Phillip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut, Vernor Vinge, Amy Tan, Edith Wharton, J.D. Salinger

My least favorite writer is Shakespeare. His convention about having commoners speak in prose and noblepeople speak in verse is like how a lot of modern writers have noblepeople (or vampires, in many cases) speak without contractions. His plays were the trashy soap operas of his day, they're the literature of our day. I don't understand this at all.
gothictuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #81
gothictuesday

Robber Bride was actually the one thing of hers I couldn't really get into. I read Catseye when I was about 12 or 13 and I was hooked thereafter. Her poetry is especially great. Oh, actually I had some trouble getting into Alias Grace as well. But she's still awesome.

I forgot to mention bell hooks as one of my favorite writers, even though it's not really literature and thus maybe doesn't belong in this thread... And Katha Pollitt.
gothictuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #82
ayca

What do u think about bukowski? Was he so pessimistic? Or did he live enough to be fucked up?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #83
Shadowed Aegis

Hmmm favorite authors would have to be: Tad Williams, Terry Goodkind (although I'm losing interest with him after his last few books were starting to get kind of repetitive), Sara Douglass, Eric Vun Lustbader, Douglas Adams, Orson Scott Card, Guy Gavriel Kay, Ian Irvine, and Kim Stanley Robinson.
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #84
syn

Ann Rice, Laurell K. Hamilton, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #85
Wise Child

William Faulkner, Toni Morrison, Chuck Palahniuk, Angela Carter, Pat Barker, J K Rowling (sue me) and Dean Koontz
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #86
Metatron

Didn't Dean Koontz just come out with a new book?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #87
Dr. Faust

has anybody read the Hot Blood series of paperbacks?
Dr. Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #88
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
My favorite authors are as follows: Arthur Golden, Poppy Z. Brite, Charles Dickens, Gaston Leroux, Bram Stoker, and Elizabeth Wurtzel.
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #89
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I've read part of the Hot Blood Series. I loved it sooooo much. I have yet to get through the entire collection...
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #90
winged_dreams

What's Hot Blood about? I swear if I was reading that series I would just be thinking something along the lines of this, "I'm hot blooded. I've got a fever of a hundred and three. Check it and see." Just like I'm doing right now.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #91
corporalaccident

Wink

Your taste in things is most admirably repugnant.

Just kidding.
corporalaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #92
Godslayer Jillian

Dan Simmons!!!!!!!
Then there's Elizabeth Haydon, Oscar Wilde, H.P. Lovecraft, Keats, Poe, Storm Constantine, Hawthorne, Goethe, Jack Vance, and Tennyson in that order

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #93
Lady Ravenna

Anne Rice, Rosemary Laurey, Stephen King, Michael Romkey, HP Lovecraft, Konstantinos, Silver Ravenwolf, Ly de Angeles
Lady Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #94
Metatron

Wow! My thread has been revived! Woooooooooooo, anyways...I really have this thing for Yeats that I just discovered. I can really relate to a lotp of his work. I just finished another long Aleister Crowley book and Dion Fortune isn't far ahead.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #95
Juliet Bathory

I am still searching for a horror writer to satisfy me, (forgive me, but I want a writer to do more than tickle my girly bits) however, as far as fantasy writers go, James Clemens has won me over.
Juliet Bathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #96
Metatron

Check out Clive Barker...he is probably one of the most amazing modern horror writers of all time.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #97
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Check out Clive Barker...he is probably one of the most amazing modern horror writers of all time.
Right next too James Herbert who I discovered this year.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #98
prettylikedrugs

My favourite writers are (in no particular order):

Jeff Noon ( a British writer who has strange yet brilliant stuff)
Chuck Palahniuk (excellent; some of the most disturbing stories I've read)
Neil Gaiman (he's cool)
HP Lovecraft (still one of the best horror writers)

I could go on, there are so many, but these are my most inspiring.
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #99
PoisonHeart

Hunter S. Thompson, Neil Gaiman, Aldous Huxley, James St. James. Then there's the old(er) school; Dante Alighieri, Lewis Carroll, and of course Poe.
PoisonHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #100
A Simple Poet

I could be truly cliche and say Poe. But than again, I like Poe.

I like pretty much all of the Literary Moderns or the prose and verse variety.

For the poets, I like TS Eliot, Pound, E.A. Robinson, Yeats, Donne, Browning, Rimbaud, Baudelaire, and Lord Byron.

For writing, well I like Shakespeare, Marlowe, Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, Ray Chandler, Hawthorne, V. Woolf, and the Hemingway that someone previously colored so vividly....

I am also brushing up on original Goth writers such as Maturin, Radcliffe, and Walpole.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote