Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Megansmom

Should I let my daughter go to a rave

My daughter is 15 and we are going to Orlando this weekend for a school trip and there will be a rave sponsored by the people who are having the convention. It's an anime convention and I'm wondering do I let her go or do I go to the rave by myself?
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
KontanKarite

Let her go. Keep her the fuck away from the X. There WILL be drugs there. But I don't see why she can't go out dancing to shitty techno for some fun.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
badteccy

I was gonna say no, because she is 15. However, since it is at an anime convention it will probably be compeletely harmless, and not even like a "real" rave.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
DeathToLems

If she really wants to go, I would let her go. She only has one life and she will regret it if she doesnt get to go. If shes going with friends then tell her to make sure they all stick together.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Solumina

The ones at cons are a far cry from real raves, I'm sure there will be some people there on drugs but she would have to actually try to seek out a seller as most of the raves at cons well regulated so the dealers tend to be more or less covert, so let her go and just warn her that drugs are bad.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
electrosexual

Let her go! I've been to a good few raves, and found that there's pretty much no trouble at them. I'm not gonna lie, she'll most likely be offered E. But if you just say no, then they accept that and just dance away ^^. But TBH I wouldn't be the best person to ask because I've only been the illegal ones :/ But Id say the legal ones would be just as safe.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
The ones at cons are a far cry from real raves.
I was going to say the same thing.
Would she let you go with her even if you promise not to be with her the whole time?
It would be very constructive if you would let her go to this more benign one (although that's why I'd like you to go with her, just in case) and now that she's gone to a rave you could instruct her to the real rave culture. Teach her that rave is about open-mindedness in a huge sense and that people that simply go to them to get high and watch the pretty colors are escapist idiots.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Pineapple_Juice

Stomping around to repetitive music and blinky lights is about open-mindedness?

And here I was thinking dancing was escapism at its finest.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice
Stomping around to repetitive music and blinky lights is about open-mindedness?

And here I was thinking dancing was escapism at its finest.
You obviously don't know anything about rave culture.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Pineapple_Juice

Obviously not.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
KontanKarite

You should. Yo mama, ya know.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megansmom
Should I let my daughter go to a rave?
Not if you want her to have fun.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Raptor

Kompressor break your glowstick.

If its at a an anime convention and she wants to go, I'd let her.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
ThreeEyesOni

An anime con rave? Sure, go for it; they're about as harmless as milk.

Seriosuly, it's about just a "rave" in name alone. As for one of the actual raves out there? For one of those I'd say "hells no".
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

I'd scope it out if you can, because there is more trouble to be found at any large party besides drugs. Even if she doesn't do drugs, that doesn't mean she can't be drugged by another, groped, harassed, or any other unpleasant thing that happens at parties.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
BLEED REBELION!!!

I went to a "rave" at a venue called sonar. It was legal. It sucked balls, not worth my ten bucks.....

It was my first and only rave and I hope to go to a real non sucky one at some point..... but I cant seem to find a real rave anywhere..

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Megansmom I was wondering if I could have your email address.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I'd scope it out if you can, because there is more trouble to be found at any large party besides drugs. Even if she doesn't do drugs, that doesn't mean she can't be drugged by another, groped, harassed, or any other unpleasant thing that happens at parties.
How many raves have you been to? Paradoxically, the more "E" going around, the less trouble there tends to be. People are usually too hyped up and enjoying the music to give a fuck about drugging and groping people. Also, unlike heroine and cocaine, ecstasy "dealers" don't really rely on selling the stuff. It's usually more for their own and other ravers' benefit. Heck, my friend's an E dealer, but only twice a year or so when there's a rave on (wouldn't touch the stuff myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELLION!!!
I went to a "rave" at a venue called sonar. It was legal. It sucked balls, not worth my ten bucks.....
That was because it was legal! The illegal ones are the best. lol! ^_^
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Stormtrooper of Death

Let her go for it. Raves aint my kinda thing, but whatever, let her have fun.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
How many raves have you been to? Paradoxically, the more "E" going around, the less trouble there tends to be. People are usually too hyped up and enjoying the music to give a fuck about drugging and groping people. Also, unlike heroine and cocaine, ecstasy "dealers" don't really rely on selling the stuff. It's usually more for their own and other ravers' benefit. Heck, my friend's an E dealer, but only twice a year or so when there's a rave on (wouldn't touch the stuff myself).
I've never been to a rave, but that doesn't mean I know nothing about it. What's more, you say that the more E going around, the less likely it is to be groped or drugged: it's already been established that there is likely to be little drug use at this particular rave party. So if what you say is true, for this case, which is what we're discussing, of course, it's less safe, and my statements were wise.

What's more, my problem was never with ecstacy, and I didn't even mention it in my post. My problem is with the hundreds of people that are going to be there. Not only does that increase the odds of someone there having bad intentions, it increases the odds that a person would be groped, as everyone is likely to be in tight quarters.

I stand by my opinion: don't let the girl go at this age, or go with her and cramp the hell out of her style.
Honestly, I sometimes wish my mother didn't let me start going to clubs that young, because I have been groped and harassed myself.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
Megansmom

Thanks and my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Megansmom I was wondering if I could have your email address.
Sure mstracysisnofoolatearthlinkdotnet.
I thank everyone for their opinion and I guess she's going with me. I. trust her just not other people. Dancing should be fun for everyone and I shouldn't keep her from it but I should guide her away from the bad stuff.
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
Despanan

I'm not particularly well-versed in "rave" culture, aside from the shitty repetitive music and the extremely annoying tendency for Raver's to clock you in the head with those damn glowsticks on strings and never apologize because they're so high they can't even see their own feet, but I'd say you're making the right decision. Fifteen is way too young for her to be hanging out in a club environment let alone unsupervised with hard drug users.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #23
Solumina

The thing about con raves is that they are supervised (there is at the very least going to be some security personnel there) and there really isn't going to be hardcore drug use (aside from the odd person on x but they really don't tend to be a problem). Does she by any chance know anyone else who is going? I wouldn't necessarily think that it is a good idea for a girl her age to be alone with that many strangers, that being said the rave is no more dangerous than the rest of the con.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
YuriBR

Let her go. If you don't let her, she'll go someday and she'll be angry you didn't let her go this time, and will probably do something 'wrong'.
YuriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #25
killer_asian_Dax

I for one would NOT let her go. While I'm not doubting your expertise on rave culture Electrosexual, I'm highly doubting your expertise on American raver culture. It's completely different. COMPLETELY.

I wasted 8 years of my life being a raver, but it was not in vain. I did come away with volumes of knowledge that can at times, save a person's life. (I should know- I've saved several.)

While a "rave" at an anime con isn't a true rave at all, I still wouldn't take the chance of letting her go mostly because of the fact that many people who frequent anime cons are the types that you'd normally find at real raves wanting to do the drugs, but too afraid to because they're not in their 'true' environment. At an anime con, they'll feel safer and more apt to doing it and coercing others to join in with them because they're in an environment they're familiar with and thus feel safer about doing it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SAFE ENVIRONMENT WHEN IT COMES TO TAKING RAVE QUALITY DRUGS!!!

While I'm not saying that you haven't raised your daughter well and she doesn't know right from wrong, 15 is still a very impressionable age and as such teens, no matter how well mannered, are still prone to "stupid attacks" and may do something they may later regret in life or worse- die from.

I'm not trying to scare you, but it's also not a light topic. Not for one who's seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of the entire scene from the dj's clique to the curious attender and everywhere in between.

If you have any more questions please feel free to send me a pm or email me personally. Please pm me for the email address.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote