Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

Question Anti psychotic medication

Without too much detail, I need to know something, hopefully from someone who knows first hand but anything is helpful.
Anti psychotic medication, does it truly help? Then there is a question of, do I have to take it for the rest of my life or is it a temporary thing. How does it effect your body, will it make me go insane in the long run. Is it worth it?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
MollyMac

Typically you have to stay on it until your brain evens out- at your age (roll your eyes), it may only be the end of adolesence.

I was on them from age 21-23. Risperdal/Effexor/Lamictal/Occasional thorazine combo. I was groggy and hazy, but much less aggressive and prone to panics, freak outs, *episodes* and fugues states. I had constant (but treatable) migraines, weight gain and freaky lactation.

On the plus side, It kept me from blipping in and out of my life until I began yoga, meditation, massive diet changes and non-med therapy to wean off. I was not seeing things, I had an easily discernable if not depressing reality.

It was six of one, half a dozen of the other, but those people around me responded easier to me when I was medicated and then when I was treating holistically.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
LaBelleDameSansMerci

It depends on what kind it is and what you're on it for. I've been on a very low dose before, but only to help me sleep... I ended up stopping it after a while though. That's all the first-hand experience I have a right to share...
I've heard it works to stop psychosis, but I've also heard that it makes one feel fairly dead (at least for schizophrenia). I don't really know much more than that. I've also heard about weight gain.
Medication also affects people differently. One person's experience is not likely to be the same as another person's.
As for how long you'll take it, again, it depends on the situation.

*twitch* Hope I've helped...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Graveyard.Crow

I've decided to decline on the meds, and talk to them about alternative routes. I wonder what psychiatrists think about psychoactive herbal medicine /grins
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
MollyMac

If nothing else holistic is an easier route and a damn good gauge as to whether you really need the harder meds that can fuck you up (or make you better in someone's degree). Kick ass, Chickie-dee.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Graveyard.Crow

I don't know, it's just a hard decision.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Solumina

I would recommend talking to a psychologist about alternative options if you can, they can't prescribe meds so they tend to be a bit more update on alternative treatments than psychiatrists. Best of luck
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
Graveyard.Crow

I have both atm luckily.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
manequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Without too much detail, I need to know something, hopefully from someone who knows first hand but anything is helpful.
Anti psychotic medication, does it truly help? Then there is a question of, do I have to take it for the rest of my life or is it a temporary thing. How does it effect your body, will it make me go insane in the long run. Is it worth it?
I know someone who has to take it due to OCD amongst other problems. I think she said she has to stay on it for another year. So I'm guessing it's not a perminent thing. Also she said that since taking it the various voices that once spoke in her head have almost gone and her OCD is very mild now. I didn't know her before she started taking medication but judging by what I've been told medication has done her a world of good.
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
I Am Great.

Anti-psych meds for OCD?
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
ThreeEyesOni

Personally, I don't reccomend them for outside of a clinical setting; if the person is undergoing 24/7 mental care then these drugs could be a great help. In less controlled settings it's more dubious. And I would never, ever recomend them for anyone under 21; brain chemistry is too nuts at younger ages.

The fact is that these drugs are mostly prescribed blind. They're assigned based on symptoms as opposed to causes, which means that most only work in an "ideal" situation and are downright dangerous in the all-too-common "atypical" situation.

There are no real long-term side effects, asside from the possibility that the root cause will not improve with time and the period on the drugs will just make adapting all the harder at a later date. Then again, going off them isn't always a viable option.

All this is just my shot in the dark as a pre-med grad. Not that I don't know what I'm talking about, it's just that there's no way for me to give a definative answer. Hell, there's barely a way for your doctor to, unless they're taking brain scans and/or a biopsy.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
xParadigmx

i was on a a couple antipsychotics for a little while a couple years ago, but not for long. they gav them to me because they thought i was bipolar, so they gave me meds. but oopsie! they misdiagnosed me. i have PTSD. yeah, fun week i had there. the aggression, the manic periods, hot flashes,and balck outs, what a great time.
xParadigmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
raggedyanne

It's always better to check out your natural options through a doctor specializing in holistic medicine. It's amazing how many "psychotic behaviors" disappear with a change of diet and exercise habits, along with sessions with a counselor. Many of the anti-psychotic drugs have serious side effects and don't quite work as they were intended to.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Graveyard.Crow

I work out, I eat healthy, I sleep, things haven't gone away. Plus this has been happening for about 5 ish years. I wonder if they will laugh in my face if I actually suggest trying the natural route. But hay thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
manequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Great.
Anti-psych meds for OCD?
Amongst other things. Voices telling her to kill herself. Pictures of her loved ones being killed. that sort of shit.
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Graveyard.Crow

Poor girl
Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
MollyMac

The sad thing is that you are more cognizant and aware than most people on these meds and are more inquisitive than simply accepting of another fucking pill. It's sad because you are an abberation, and this kind of awareness should be the norm.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #18
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
The sad thing is that you are more cognizant and aware than most people on these meds and are more inquisitive than simply accepting of another fucking pill. It's sad because you are an abberation, and this kind of awareness should be the norm.
I think people just want a quick fix, and a pill gives them that, at least in theory. But thank you very much XD
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
Megansmom

I'm glad you have decided against the medications. I work in the mental health field and unless you have a very serious problem stay away from them. No one knows the real long term effects of these drugs but I do know for the most part they are way over prescribed.
Secondly I can give you some things that will help you. Fish oils lots of them . Essential to proper brain function, Vitamin B complex especially B-12 and niacin essential to proper nerve function your brain is the the central processor for all your nerves, chamomile to help you relax, St johns wort and an hour of direct sunlight everyday to help combat depression, minimum of 8 hrs of sleep , yoga or martial arts or even a half hour of walking a day avoid caffeine, energy drinks, processed foods and especially foods containing red food dye.
And learn to talk to yourself. What I mean by that is if you catch yourself thinking or feeling things you should not, change your mind by by having a mental conversation about something else. For example, you feel like a panic attack is coming on , pick up a book and talk to yourself about it or if that doesn't work call someone and talk about anything in the world . IF you change the direction of your thoughts you change how you feel and how how you react .
That is a lot of of stuff to remember but good nutrition, proper sleep patterns , exercise and the right supplements can do you a lot more good than a pill.
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #20
Graveyard.Crow

That's what I'm currently doing. I'm completely changing my lifestyle, well not that I didn't work out and eat healthy before but now I'm more serious about it. Been meaning to try some vitamins as well, thanks very much.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
MollyMac

Kick ass- the meds work for some, not all. Start with the maintenance and work up. You need no advice, you have a handle on it. XOX
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

Thank you, we shall see how it goes I suppose.