Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Who pWns who's ass?
Freud 3 25.00%
Jung 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Jung of Freud

Who pWns who's ass?

The order of the pair in the title would lead some to believe I prefer Jung, but I actually don't understand much of his theories to say I agree with him. Also I don't quite understand the new craze in saying Freud was very wrong. How could his theory of the subconscious and psychological repression defense mechanisms be wrong? They seem pretty evident.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
raggedyanne

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with Jung. Could you summarize his theories?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Is Jung the one who created the system where everyone can be primarily categorised into one of many types based on their personailty.
eg. INFJ Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
INTJ Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging are two examples only using 5 of the 8 letters... err.. yeah? Is his stuff that stuff?

Teehee

In fact I don't know much about psychology at all.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

Jung is mainly summarized in pointing out his theories of the collective unconscious and subsequent archetypes.
It's about how psychologically most humans share a common unconsciousness that recognizes common archetypes. The connotation of this is that there is a general perspective of reality which we all share, as proven by folkloric beliefs that are similar throughout the world even in the absence of a connection between the cultures.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
raggedyanne

Oh, that makes sense. Hmm, whereas freud believes that all humans are different and that their subconscious selves are developed during childhood? Do I have that right?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

That's sort of how I understand it, but it would be erroneous to say their theories are dichotomous.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
raggedyanne

Hmmm, now I have to read up on this. You've sparked my interest. Aw, my poor overworked library card.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Saya

Freud was.....weird. He believe growing up that boys hate their fathers and wanna have sex with their mothers (the Oedipus complex), he was pretty sexist, interpreted dreams.....but to be fair all he did was study mentally ill people, so thats probably why he was a little skewed in his views.

Jung I know agreed with dream interpretation and was also sexist (as was the style at the time), and came up with the Electra complex (girls hate their mothers ((because they never gave them a penis)) and are in love with their fathers).

There were good points about them made in class but I just can't remember them I only remember the weird.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

FUCK!
The title says Jung of Freud.
Now I'm shamed.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Freud was.....weird. He believe growing up that boys hate their fathers and wanna have sex with their mothers (the Oedipus complex), he was pretty sexist, interpreted dreams.....but to be fair all he did was study mentally ill people, so thats probably why he was a little skewed in his views.

Jung I know agreed with dream interpretation and was also sexist (as was the style at the time), and came up with the Electra complex (girls hate their mothers ((because they never gave them a penis)) and are in love with their fathers).

There were good points about them made in class but I just can't remember them I only remember the weird.
Funny how both seem to have obsession with incest . . .
Old 08-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
Minyaliel

Freud´s obsession with anything sexual only shows that he himself must have been a severely repressed and pitiful creature. My sympathies go to Jung.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

But then it only goes to prove his sexual theories, in which case then he only came up with so many because they're true, so it's not that he was sexually obsessed, but that he merely found how much sex permeates human interaction.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
Saya

His theories range from true, plausible, and completely off the wall. Oedipus complex, penis envy (moms prefer having boy babies because its close enough to having a penis?), dream interpretation, and sexual fixation (that pretty much everything since we were babies had some sexual feelings about it, from a baby breastfeeding to a kid pooping), we all know are either bogus or greatly exaggerated.

But he did have some redeeming qualities. He did believe that people are inherently bisexual, and homosexuality isn't an illness or a perversion. We don't know if thats true but he was quite ahead of his time in regards to homosexuality, which for a long time afterwards was considered a mental illness.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #14
gothicusmaximus

Freud is not viewed to have been completely wrong about everything, just largely inaccurate in his understanding of the human mind. His ideas remain widely studied in universities across the globe, although, ironically enough, increasingly rarely in courses that deal specifically with psychology.

I highly recommend Freud's The Uncanny, which presents some intriguing hypotheses regarding the reason for which we are frightened or unsettled by certain images and ideas. A very gawffic essay if I do say so myself.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #15
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Freud is not viewed to have been completely wrong about everything, just largely inaccurate in his understanding of the human mind. His ideas remain widely studied in universities across the globe, although, ironically enough, increasingly rarely in courses that deal specifically with psychology.

I highly recommend Freud's The Uncanny, which presents some intriguing hypotheses regarding the reason for which we are frightened or unsettled by certain images and ideas. A very gawffic essay if I do say so myself.
Not to mention, his groundwork was absolutely phenomenal, particularly given how little attention the subject was paid. It helped to develop better studies later on. He's a bit like Darwin, who's initial ideas was grand but seemed to fail in general afterwards.
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Freud is a fucking joke.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I think Carl Jung was in a better position to draw conclusions closer to the truth as his early education and experiences were broader than Freud's.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
Fatbaby

Freud and Jung differred in the type of religion

they offered the enlightened. While each helped to bring those with mental disorders out of the realm of curses and demons, neither was or used science. Their conclusions were based on the on armchair philosophising. Theories were advanced by the popularity they could obtain from other doctors. Freud advanced the idea that the repression of sexual identities built up in an individual until they would burst. Jung based his theories on collective consciousness, an idea that still draws people who are theists.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Freud is a fucking joke.
Is the punchline, "Ooh, you had a dream? You want to sleep with your mom!"
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote