Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
CptSternn

Twirlers Disciplined Over Suggestive Song At Pep Rally

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/17587088/detail.html

DALLAS --Three girls were disciplined for playing a suggestive song at a North Texas high school pep rally, school administrators said.

The girls, who are on the twirl team, were disciplined after playing Katy Perry's song "I Kissed A Girl" at a pep rally at Van High School in Van Zandt County.

The song's lyrics, which are performed by a woman, say, "I kissed a girl, and I liked it."

Jordan Downey, one of the girls who was disciplined, said she didn't think the school would care about the song.

"They told us that it probably won't be a very good a idea, and then we decided, like, it's not a big deal, we'll just run for it, no one's going to care," she said.

School officials said the girls broke the student code of conduct.

"We did have rules in place, and rules were broken and discipline followed," said Van Independent School District spokesman Suzie McWilliams.

Downey said she thinks she and the other two girls were disciplined because the song is about a girl kissing another girl.

"It's a song," she said. "It's just like any other song."

School administrators told NBC 5 the twirlers will not be allowed to attend two football games and one pep rally.

"The pep rally is OK. I could deal with that one," Downey said. "But the game -- I really like to perform, especially since it's a home game."

Downey, a senior, has been a member of the twirl team for the last four years.

Taylor Lewis, a senior at Van High, said band members wore stickers that said, "no twirlers, no band" and that the drum line is saying it will not play at the games.

A parent, who did not want to be identified, said she feels the song is inappropriate for school and should not have been played at a pep rally.

Jordon Downey's mother, Jane, said the situation wasn't a big deal. She also said the punishment was fair.

She said her daughter isn't a bad person. The school district agreed and said the matter is closed.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Joker_in_the_Pack

Dude, it's Texas, fucking duh.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Saya

Was the rule they broke a rule about playing songs about girls getting drunk and kissing for attention or a rule banning bad pop music?

But if like, they told her that like, it was a bad idea, and she like totally went with it anyway, it shouldn't be a huge surprise.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
But if like, they told her that like, it was a bad idea, and she like totally went with it anyway, it shouldn't be a huge surprise.
This sentence needs more hesitance and incorrect use of 'like'.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Despanan

That song fucking sucks. They should've been disciplined for picking such a blatant, sensationalist, cry for attention from a talentless ex-christian singer.

Katy Perry can suck my balls.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
That song fucking sucks. They should've been disciplined for picking such a blatant, sensationalist, cry for attention from a talentless ex-christian singer.

Amen!

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan

You have to realize that's not the point though. As must as you dislike the song, it's unfair that those girls are in trouble. My school plays songs 100 times worse in content than that song and it's allowed. This is injustice to me.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem

You have to realize that's not the point though. As must as you dislike the song, it's unfair that those girls are in trouble. My school plays songs 100 times worse in content than that song and it's allowed. This is injustice to me.
The injustice is that your school allows songs "100 times worse in content" than a song about getting drunk and kissing someone you barely know.

Great school you must go to.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
The injustice is that your school allows songs "100 times worse in content" than a song about getting drunk and kissing someone you barely know.

Great school you must go to.

Yeah, actually it is.
I love my school and all of it's imperfections.
And it does allow radio rap songs.
Especially Soulja Boy.
Our principal even does the Soulja Boy at school functions for entertainment.

Firstly, I bet you the school doesn't even know that the song is about getting drunk. I'm sure all they are listening is the kissing the girl part. Neither one of us know what other songs have been allowed at school functions there. But it's safe to assume that they are rap songs, witch vulgar lyrics in which certain words have been bleeped out. Katy Perry, who annoys the hell out of me, doesn't say a single negative word in that whole song, and they won't allow it simply because it's about kissing a girl. Now if they punished those girls because of the drunk bit, I could understand, but that's NOT the reason.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Yeah, actually it is.
I love my school and all of it's imperfections.
And it does allow radio rap songs.
Especially Soulja Boy.
Our principal even does the Soulja Boy at school functions for entertainment.

Firstly, I bet you the school doesn't even know that the song is about getting drunk. I'm sure all they are listening is the kissing the girl part. Neither one of us know what other songs have been allowed at school functions there. But it's safe to assume that they are rap songs, witch vulgar lyrics in which certain words have been bleeped out. Katy Perry, who annoys the hell out of me, doesn't say a single negative word in that whole song, and they won't allow it simply because it's about kissing a girl. Now if they punished those girls because of the drunk bit, I could understand, but that's NOT the reason.
Not only do you have no reason to believe that, but it's the school's call.
If they don't want openly gay and sexual lyrics in the music they play, there's nothing wrong with that.

People often forget school is a learning institution.
It's NOT a place to express yourself, and it's NOT a goddamn runway show.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Not only do you have no reason to believe that, but it's the school's call.
If they don't want openly gay and sexual lyrics in the music they play, there's nothing wrong with that.

People often forget school is a learning institution.
It's NOT a place to express yourself, and it's NOT a goddamn runway show.

I'm sure, Ophelia, that if it was "I kissed a boy." They'd be fine.
And the disapproving of the song had NOTHING to do with the sexual lyrics.
Have you heard the songs they play at Homecomings and Proms?
A lot worse.
Trust me.
It MIGHT be a sexual song, but the reason they discriminate against it is because it's about girls kissing girls.

No, there is something wrong with that.
It's very wrong to not allow this and allow other things as well.
But yes, it is the school's call, and they can do that.
Doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it fair.
And it doesn't mean I like it.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

I'm sure, Ophelia, that if it was "I kissed a boy." They'd be fine.
And the disapproving of the song had NOTHING to do with the sexual lyrics.
Have you heard the songs they play at Homecomings and Proms?
A lot worse.
Trust me.
It MIGHT be a sexual song, but the reason they discriminate against it is because it's about girls kissing girls.

No, there is something wrong with that.
It's very wrong to not allow this and allow other things as well.
But yes, it is the school's call, and they can do that.
Doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it fair.
And it doesn't mean I like it.

First of all, this isn't about whether or not you like it. No one gives a shit.

Second, just because other schools allow songs with sexual lyrics doesn't mean this one has to, and no, you don't know if this school generally allows songs with sexual lyrics. You can't know unless you email or phone their administrators. Don't use things you CANNOT know in an argument; it's just stupid.

Anyway, I support this, and I think schools should come down harder on they do on kids about shit like this.
Schools aren't about education anymore, and that pisses me off.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
First of all, this isn't about whether or not you like it. No one gives a shit.

Second, just because other schools allow songs with sexual lyrics doesn't mean this one has to, and no, you don't know if this school generally allows songs with sexual lyrics. You can't know unless you email or phone their administrators. Don't use things you CANNOT know in an argument; it's just stupid.

Anyway, I support this, and I think schools should come down harder on they do on kids about shit like this.
Schools aren't about education anymore, and that pisses me off.

First of all, I knew you were going to say that. I purposely read over my post and left it in there. Your insults are getting predictable.

Second, No shit sherlock:

Neither one of us know what other songs have been allowed at school functions there.

However, as I said it's safe to assume. Because, based on what I've seen/heard from people in other states and from what I've seen. Not only that, but it's Texas, that's self explanatory in itself.

You don't seem to get it.
It's not about the sexual nature.
However, If they were cracking down on that, then yes, it's a good thing and I can concur with that statement.
But it's not about that.
It rarely ever is in these situations.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Xombie

Quote:

However, as I said it's safe to assume. Because, based on what I've seen/heard from people in other states and from what I've seen. Not only that, but it's Texas, that's self explanatory in itself.
I do not understand what you're getting at.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
I do not understand what you're getting at.

Southern states tend to be very anti-gay.
Which is part of my belief that this is about the girl on girl topic of the song.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
Xombie

Quote:

Southern states tend to be very anti-gay.
Which is part of my belief that this is about the girl on girl topic of the song.
The sexual orientation is what you believe they're harping about, yes? Does that not contradict all you've been saying to Ophelia about this not being about sexuality? I think you're confused.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
The sexual orientation is what you believe they're harping about, yes? Does that not contradict all you've been saying to Ophelia about this not being about sexuality? I think you're confused.

It depends on what Ophelia meant by sexuality.
I took it as sexuality, as in kissing, touching, sex, etc.
I speak of sexual orientation.
Sexual orientation in it's self, as in the fact of being, gay, bisexual, or lesbian, it's not sexual or a better word explicit or lewd.
If the song was about a girl and a guy, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
Saya

You're assuming a lot there. A lot of schools don't allow any music that has anything that can be perceived as lewd, including getting drunk and kissing girls you don't know. You're ASSUMING they only know the one line, and you're ASSUMING that its that one line that they have a problem with. Maybe they don't like her for her homophobic lyrics in Ur So Gay for all we know. Its hard not to hear all the lyrics of a song thats played over and over, I'm betting they are familiar with the whole song. And a part of your assumption is because its a southern town, because southern people are homophobic? The fact is that they don't even say what rule of conduct they broke, just that they told them not to use the song and they did anyway. If the song was about a rapper objectifying women you'd probably have no problem with it, but because its a woman objectifying women its homophobic to ban it?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
You're assuming a lot there. A lot of schools don't allow any music that has anything that can be perceived as lewd, including getting drunk and kissing girls you don't know. You're ASSUMING they only know the one line, and you're ASSUMING that its that one line that they have a problem with. Maybe they don't like her for her homophobic lyrics in Ur So Gay for all we know. Its hard not to hear all the lyrics of a song thats played over and over, I'm betting they are familiar with the whole song. [And a part of your assumption is because its a southern town, because southern people are homophobic? The fact is that they don't even say what rule of conduct they broke, just that they told them not to use the song and they did anyway. If the song was about a rapper objectifying women you'd probably have no problem with it, but because its a woman objectifying women its homophobic to ban it?

If the song was about a rapper objectifying women you'd probably have no problem with it, but because its a woman objectifying women its homophobic to ban it?

Now you're the one making assumptions. (Based on nothing)
All of them about my beliefs.
I don't think they banned it because of her 'homophobic' lyrics in "You're so gay. I think it was banned for homophobic reasons. And I most certainly don't think they banned it because it objectified women. And NOTHING I've said says that I approve of those other songs either.

But as you've said, I've assumed and yes, hell yeah I have, because it's all I can do with the knowledge presented. One has to assume a lot of things, no matter what topic the article is about. Because we weren't there, and so we have to glean from what's presented and use our past knowledge and common knowledge to come to a deduction.

A) They told them it was best. They may have said flat out don't use it, but we can only go by what the girl said. And if they did say it was best, then she shouldn't have been in trouble, because they didn't tell tell her flat out NO.
B) It's common for Southerners to be homophobic. I live in the deep south.
And did I not say tend?
C) Which leads me to believe they did not ban the song BECAUSE Katy Perry promotes homophobia.
D) I'm in high school, so it's natural that I'd know something about it. Not only that, but I have friends in other places as well. I'm basing this off MY experiences and those of my companions.
E) Therefore, I'd have a pretty good idea of the music played at school functions. I'm also a fan of watching cheer videos and cheerleading when it's on TV. I've heard the songs.
F) There's a lot of things wrong with Katy's song being played in schools, however, wipe that from your mind. Those things don't matter if the reason for it being banned was homophobia, because the intent wasn't to reduce sexual content in schools.

There's nothing wrong with assuming a few things.
How do you think most court cases are solved?
Take what you're given and make a decent guess.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
Saya

So me assuming something about what you're saying is bad while you assuming about a school decision we know zilch about is perfectly legitimate? All highschools are different and have different policies, just because you are in one high school in the south doesn't mean you are familiar with all of them, now does it? You saying they banned it because they are homophobic with no evidence to go by is as legitimate as me saying they might have banned it because they think she is homophobic.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

Mitsy, I don't like you because you're stupid.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
Despanan

What pisses me off the most about this is I'm sure that now the album sales will go up and that tone-deaf whore will use this as a way to claim indy street cred.

Hey guys! A school banned my song! I'm so punk!

Isn't it bad enough that she played the Warped tour?
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 AM   #23
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Mitsy, I don't like you because you're stupid.
Quoted for truth. I love when children like Misty get into a debate, because they blatantly ignore all facts that contradict their argument. It's great.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
CptSternn

What I find ironic is time and time again you see people on TV in America complaining about how women have no rights in the Middle East. Then you see stuff like this.

Sure, the penalties are not equal by any means, but the same mentality exists.

Most people don't know that there are still towns across America where drinking is ILLEGAL and dancing is ILLEGAL.

It's just sad to see this sort of thing in a country which claims to be 'free'. It goes to show that some people define 'freedom' in a totally different manner.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #25
JCC

Ophie: I think you're going a little too far with the 'schools can do what they want' ethos. Yeah, a school is a place of learning, and it's for that precise reason that if a school does want to censor something because it endorses homosexuality then that's not justifiable. Schools shouldn't be allowed to parade around their intolerance as they see fit, and they shouldn't be allowed to make people feel uncomfortable because of their sexuality in what is meant to be a learning environment. If they don't want sex, that's understandable. Rampant intolerance in institutions paid for by the common person? That's not acceptable regardless of whether schools are for learning.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote