Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Petronius

Anne Rice's paraphillic mind

I had a hard time reading Interview with a Vampire. The homosexual connotations were present everywhere. Personally I do not approve of homosexuality, but since it's no longer considered an anomaly, I am tolerant about it (for me, tolerance means I don't like it, but I shut up).
All in all, I don't regret reading it.
But when I started to read The Vampire Lestat I had enough of Anne Rice.
What's with the incestuous stuff between Lestat and his mother? Is this kind of crap goth and I don't know it?
Petronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Elysiume

Haha. Prepare to be flamed. If there's one thing goths hate it's intolerance. Or is it the other way around?
Louis is hilarious. Every other sentence he rants about how much he loves Armand, then denies that he is gay. They should just adopt Claudia and become a very disfunctional family. Lestat could be the weird uncle.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

What do we hate more, though?
Intolerance, or Anne Rice?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Elysiume

I'm in no way defending that hack. I hate them both equally.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
I'm in no way defending that hack. I hate them both equally.
Once, I was publicly labeled as an intolerant monster for turning down a gay man's very explicit propositions. I didn't like that. And in my country, the gay community is trying to recruit kids in schools and they give them all kinds of quizzes to "determine their sexuality". Is that a good thing?

I think I should be free to disagree.I never discriminated gay people, but nowadays it's shameful to be straight! This world is upside down
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
What do we hate more, though?
Intolerance, or Anne Rice?
I love Anne Rice. She's a very descriptive writer. Good stuff.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Tam Li Hua

I'm with Slap Your Love, though only as far as the Vampire stuff is concerned. Lestat from the books is hilarous in his own way, and truly one of my favorite fictional characters. XD

As for homosexuality, I don't mind it. I agree that schools shouldn't be involved in 'determining' a kid's sexuality one way or the other, but I also don't think it's fair to judge someone's worth based on who [or what] they are sexually attracted to.

But yes, if you are going to stay involved with the Goth subculture, you're going to have to accept the fact that there are all kinds of sexualities in the scene: homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, and folks who just like experimenting. You'll also find all range of religious beliefs, so I would suggest sticking to subjects like what fashion a person likes or what music is the most "Goth" if you're uncomfortable getting to know the nitty-gritty details about the scene.

Also, if you think the implied sexuality of Rice's Vampire books are bad, you should read some of her straight pr0n. I've heard that it's quite....alluring. LOL

What I'm -really- curious about, though, is why you are reading The Vampire Lestat if you didn't like Interview...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Petronius

Dudes! I couldn't care less about homosexuality in books of Anne Rice! It's not a problem to me! My problem is that Lestat was making out with his own mother! That's freakin toooo much for my stomach. Do you people understand me???????????????????
Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

What I'm -really- curious about, though, is why you are reading The Vampire Lestat if you didn't like Interview...

I actually liked Interview with a Vampire, which I find fascinating, but the gay passages were not very much for my taste. That's all.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius
Dudes! I couldn't care less about homosexuality in books of Anne Rice! It's not a problem to me! My problem is that Lestat was making out with his own mother! That's freakin toooo much for my stomach. Do you people understand me???????????????????
It's been a while since I've read it, but I don't remember Lestat actually 'making out' with his mother. I remember he may have kissed her gently or something, but I don't think it was intended sexually.

Granted, there are some odd moments with Lestat and his mom, but nothing explicit that I remember. Let me ask you this, though: Why does the idea bother you? After all, they're vamps, so it's not like they can have kids or even have sex at all in the Rice-verse..

Hrmm...maybe it's time for a re-reading for me. [I could use a break from Steve King's "Dark Tower" anyways. XD]
Old 12-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
I actually liked Interview with a Vampire, which I find fascinating, but the gay passages were not very much for my taste. That's all.
Heh heh. If you didn't have a taste for the 'gay passages', then I have to wonder what you liked about the book at all. XD

I also find it odd that you have a problem with the implied homosexuality, but not with the implied child molestation. Very odd indeed..
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Once, I was publicly labeled as an intolerant monster for turning down a gay man's very explicit propositions. I didn't like that.
I think it's a little unfair to be judgmental of an entire group just because of one douchebag -in- that group...unless you were rude to him or something.

Quote:
And in my country, the gay community is trying to recruit kids in schools and they give them all kinds of quizzes to "determine their sexuality". Is that a good thing?
Where are you from?

Quote:
I think I should be free to disagree.I never discriminated gay people, but nowadays it's shameful to be straight! This world is upside down
Try to just see people instead of their sexuality.

That being said, hmosexuality isn't exactly a new thing. What I've always found strange is that modern folks act as if it's a brand-new idea, when it's been around since the beginning of mankind.

People are so strange....
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I think it's a little unfair to be judgmental of an entire group just because of one douchebag -in- that group...unless you were rude to him or something.

Where are you from?

Try to just see people instead of their sexuality.

People are so strange....
That gay said something about licking my penis. First I told him politely that I'm not interested, and I feel uncomfortable and I just want to be left alone. When he insisted I said something like : " Shut the fuck up you weirdo or I'll smack you in the head!"

I'm from Romania. And I hate the sin, not the sinner. I hate homosexuality, not homosexuals. You understand me?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
jack_the_knife

Quote:
My problem is that Lestat was making out with his own mother! That's freakin toooo much for my stomach.
It's just part of the story. I don't mind it really. Wuthering Heights ( one of my favorite books ) was full of incest as well. If you don't like literature that portrays incest, skip that part or just don't read it in its entirety. It's not like someone is forcing you to read it.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
KontanKarite

Petronius...

Thank GOD you shut the fuck up. You hate homosexuality because a fucking book tells you to. I bet if you knew nothing of the bible, you'd have nothing against homosexuality at all.

In fact, I doubt your hatred of homosexuality isn't even your own idea. I bet a fucking priest told you to think that way.

Now as for someone making unwanted advances on you, you were in your right to retaliate. But tell me, Petronius, if a girl had asked you the same question out of the blue, would you threaten physical violence? Of course not. For some reason you feel that a gay man deserves your violence because he finds you attractive and isn't bullshitting you about it.

Holy shit, man... fuck off.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Tralis

Also remember that The Vampire Lestat was written over a decade after Interview and has large passages that retcon the first book. I sort of see Interview as standing on its own and Lestat as being the begging of the actual series which isn't quite as much as work of art as Interview.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Wow.... just wow, didn't expect that.

I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie and the implied homosexuality was the best part.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
I'm from Romania. And I hate the sin, not the sinner. I hate homosexuality, not homosexuals. You understand me?
That's all well and good, but if it offends you so much, then you should stop reading Anne Rice.

Konton: I doubt that it has as much to do with being hit on in general as much as it does the -way- that the guy approached him.

If a handsome, straight man approached me [I'm also straight] and said, "Hey baby, you wanna lick my balls? *wink wink*," I'd probably have a few choice words as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
Tam Li Hua

Also, I think guys, regardless of sexuality are more prone to go up to their targets and say lewd things than chicks are. [Not saying -all-, just -most-.]
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
tekajo

Correct me if i'm wrong...and i just might be...but wasn't Gabrielle already a vampire during the "incestous" scene? If so, she was no longer his mother. His mother was dead.

It has been a very long since i've read it, i may have the details a bit fuzzy.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Tam Li Hua

I don't remember either tekajo, but that sounds right..
Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #22
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
That's such a bullshit distinction - the only difference is that you get to tell yourself you're not a hateful person while expressing your hateful attitudes. At least call it what it is.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
That gay said something about licking my penis. First I told him politely that I'm not interested, and I feel uncomfortable and I just want to be left alone. When he insisted I said something like : " Shut the fuck up you weirdo or I'll smack you in the head!"

Men have made comments to me about licking my nethers.
Sometimes, they don't stop when asked.

Should I hate men?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #24
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
I love Anne Rice. She's a very descriptive writer. Good stuff.
She may be descriptive, but all her descriptions sound the same. Read through Interview, and count up how many times she uses the word "preternatural" to describe one of the vampires (almost every other page). Also, instead of describing what characters actually look like, and giving a sense of their personality, she just rants about how great their boobs were. She might as well have said, "Louis saw some vampires. They were really hot", and left it at that.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
Tam Li Hua

Actually, I think she gives pretty good physical descriptions of her characters.

I'm willing to forgive her her errors with "Interview", since it was her first book. But as Lestat she's a LOT more descriptive. If Louis is the Emo, then Lestat is the Punk Rocker...er...literally. Heh heh.