Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Joker_in_the_Pack

Charity should start at home

These are the lyrics to a song I'm working on. In order to avoid tedious flames and arguments, I need to explain things first.

1) I know the meter is peculiar and the rhyme scheme is sloppy. It's in a oddly accented 7/8 time signature and I've been listening to Crass nonstop for days, so the rhymes are very loose and sometimes interior.

2) I have absolutely no problem with charitable deeds for other countries, ESPECIALLY the Red Cross. I love them, I love what they do, and I am a firm supporter of them. Their mention in the song more comments on how people should try doing the same in their own country, namely here. I read somewhere that the amount of homeless people in this country is estimated at three million, which is atrocious for such a rich country.

3)I also have no problem with celebrities helping other countries, my comments were more that people need to listen to that old saying that charity starts at home. I think millionaires who did almost nothing to attain their fortune *cough* Oprah *cough* should focus money on the country that gave them so much, since people suffer here too.

That being said, here we go.

New Heroes
Well they act great
Full of shit
And oh so fake

Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home

Oprah gives
To Africa
They won’t bleed
But they still starve

Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home

Jolee’s kids
That’s all great but
Kids need love
Here in the states

Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home

The Red Cross
Healing the world
Back at home
Three million hurt

Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home

They need help?
They’re not alone
Charity
Should start at home

Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home
Charity
Should start at home!
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Duane

Pretty Rocktastic.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

Just a revision. I was writing out the tabs. As it turns out, it's actually in 4/4 made of mostly accented triplets. It becomes 4/4 because of the pauses I need to keep the rhythm I want.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
nis~sijai

I can't say much about the lyrics since I have all the poetic talent of a duck, but I do like the message. In fact, I've always thought the same thing.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote