Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
Opteron_Man

My Hard Drive Is Burping

So, I wake up this morning ready to take on the day.
I turn my computer on and go for a shower. When I get back, CHKDSK
is deing a "scan" on my storage drive. I have two HDs in my computer.
One 500 GB for my Windows and Programs, and a second 500 GB drive for my music, movies, files, and stored archived programs.
Well the bastard was reporting long lists of so called prphaned files and after it was done that, recovering said orphan files and deleting who knows what.
I saw a few files as ther sped by at warp speed, and it was indeed my storage drive. The drive that holds all the colective data from years of browsing, and searching. now, I get back indo Windows XP and I see that it is lighter by around 10 GB! I wade into my file directory and play a Wallace and Grommit video and it is broken!

I am pissed off more than I can possably express in words or in type. This means my files, the thing I put alot of sweat and blood and time into is damaged.
I don't know what is good in the monster collection of files and what is bad.

Harddrives should be 100% reliable things that out last the computer!
It is the thing that holds your fucking data! And it is unreliable and fragile as a crystal wineglass.

What the fuck can I do!? If the drive completly dies and I loos 5 years of stuff, I don't know what I will do. I will probably smash the fucking thing. Why do I need a fucking computer when I lost all my stuff I ask you!?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
Smells Like A Foot

They're built to NOT last. Get yrself an external. I have one that's only used to back up shit, which I do every week. When it's not being used (Which is an hour, maximum) it's in its box.

Why sell the people platinum when you can fob them brass, bronze silver and gold, first?
Smells Like A Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smells Like A Foot View Post
They're built to NOT last. Get yrself an external. I have one that's only used to back up shit, which I do every week. When it's not being used (Which is an hour, maximum) it's in its box.

Why sell the people platinum when you can fob them brass, bronze silver and gold, first?
And I a grossed out by the fact that I own a Model M keyboard that was built in the late 1980's, has been used ALOT over the years by probably many different owners, been hooked up to dozens of computer, most of them probably wore out
and are in the dump. Infact, it is the keyboard I am typing on RIGHT now!

And my 500 GB Sata drive built in 2008 is burping!?

I am nearly sick to my stomach with discust and anger at the obnoxiousness.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Smells Like A Foot

It's not the obnoxiousness making you feel like that, it's obviously your anorexia.

On the plus side, now you know not to trust corporations.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

That stinks, but that's also why you should always back up your stuff. Computers are rather wonky, so it's a pretty common thing for something on them to go *poof!* If yours is 5 years old, then it's probably waaay outdated anyways, and probably has needed some serious upgrades to all of its software and components.

Still, it -does- stink, and I'm sorry for your lost files. =(
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post
And I a grossed out by the fact that I own a Model M keyboard that was built in the late 1980's, has been used ALOT over the years by probably many different owners, been hooked up to dozens of computer, most of them probably wore out
and are in the dump. Infact, it is the keyboard I am typing on RIGHT now!

And my 500 GB Sata drive built in 2008 is burping!?

I am nearly sick to my stomach with discust and anger at the obnoxiousness.
Keyboards are pretty simple, there isn't a whole lot to go wrong. A 500 GB hard drive is an amazing piece of technology, especially considering how cheap you can get them for now. They aren't going to be perfectly reliable. Data storage devices always advise you to back up important information.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smells Like A Foot View Post
On the plus side, now you know not to trust corporations.
Corporations have nothing to do with it, unless you're saying one should never use a computer since the parts and all are made and sold by corporations. Computer parts are finicky and can break easily.

Last edited by Tam Li Hua; 03-24-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: added an explanation
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Smells Like A Foot

For a different ending to this story, read my earlier post.

Why don't you tell us your REAL agenda... Alan Shugart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Mir

If an HDD survives its first week of operation, chances are it will last for awhile. Stress tests can help, however I just abuse the drive for the first week or two, keeping a close eye on it and if its going to fail, it either does within the first two weeks, or not for a long time to come.

Make sure you have your power options setup to power down the drive when not in use, and be smart about your setup. HDD intensive operations should be isolated, and split between multiple drives to reduce wear and tear.

It is true though that PC hardware is not built to last. Advertising flashy new PCs/hardware alone does not get that new hardware off the shelf, and in your home.

Also, watch out for current user opinion/trends. e.g. 2008 was a bad year to buy Maxtor HDDs.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
That stinks, but that's also why you should always back up your stuff. Computers are rather wonky, so it's a pretty common thing for something on them to go *poof!* If yours is 5 years old, then it's probably waaay outdated anyways, and probably has needed some serious upgrades to all of its software and components.

Still, it -does- stink, and I'm sorry for your lost files. =(
Well, I didn't loose everything. Just this week, I backed up my music collection.
So the copy os not out of date. All 58 GB is there. I backed up a few other things, but thwy are outdated.
I did lood alot of data, but not all. Thank god. But NOTHING hurts me more then data loss and a hardddrive die. Nothing. It really gets under my skin and puts me on edge.

Thanks for the sympathy Tam Li Hua and everybody.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Tam Li Hua

You're welcome, and I understand about comp stuff setting one on edge. My husband has been doing IT work most of his adult life, and gets really frustrated with them often.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Opteron_Man

*groan* it is bad! I stuck in my Hiren's boot CD, and ran a Western Digital diagnostic utility, and after about two hours, it concluded that it had problems and that it couldn't be fixed. GREAT.

So now, I have my data, well my data I could get off the sinking drive combined with my new good backup of my music and an old backup of my other stuff.
Well, the backup is on my C:\ drive. I don't trust it. I hear that that model is flaky. The Seagate 7200.1 series. I don't have any money to go out and buy a new harddrive. I am copying the backup to the dying harddrive, I have no choice. I think I will buy a cheap 320 GB drive, use it as my system drive, discard my failing 500 GB drive, buy a new 500 GB drive and backup what I have to one 500 GB drive and use the other 500 GB as the everyday drive.

I am so fucking pissed! If I loose all my data, I will sell my Quadcore
q6600 with 4 GB of ram and a 8600 GT for a song.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
Opteron_Man

Well! I took that drive and tested like I said, it failed. So I low level formated it.
It took over two hours, the formating was a sucess. Then I did an extended test which took another two hours and guess what? It detected no errors!
It looks like that drive IS good after all! I am so happy! But the point is; allways backup your data!