Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Quantum of Solace

I haven't seen it, but I have a doubt.
I heard that the point of that movie's bad guys is that they wanted to control most of Bolivia's water supplies. These are the evil plans of the masterminds the most hardcore agent in the world has to stop this time.
In 2000, the World Bank bullied Bolivia into doing precisely this, and a San Francisco based bank owned all the water of the country, people had to spend a quarter of their salaries on this most basic resource, and it became a crime to collect rainwater.
So the premise of a contemporary movie is based around an oh so evil idea that actually happened in that exact country and was sanctioned by the first world.
Is it some sort of political commentary, or just a very sick sense of humor?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
CrimsonPythonidae

That's pretty rough, how long did that last?
Political commentary? Likely.
Sick sense of humour? Possible, dodgy.
Coincidence? Highly unlikely but an option nonetheless.
You heard correct, that is the storyline. I didn't think it was all that good a film.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
CrossDream

Pick any random moment in Quantum of Solace.

It will either be James Bond being emotional, an action scene, Bond getting his jig on, or political commentary.

It's political commentary, for sure, but I'm not sure if it's commentary on what happened in Bolivia, or if it's commentary on how corporations control oil.
CrossDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
Mr E Nigma

Quantum of Solace is the least bond related bond film to date. If my recollection serves me well he does nothing with any woman. And the action isn't like Bond at all... Though I can't remember if that was a good thing or not.

Though I guess not being able to remember probably means it wasn't all that great..
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
CrossDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
If my recollection serves me well he does nothing with any woman. And the action isn't like Bond at all... Though I can't remember if that was a good thing or not.
Spoiler:
He gets his freak on with Strawberry Fields about half-way through the movie.

The action isn't Bond like at all, because in my opinion, it's pretty much a verbatim copy of the style used in the Bourne movies.
CrossDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Mr E Nigma

Well damn... I leave to go to the bathroom and get a refill... come back.. ask if anything important happens, hear giggling from my 2 female friends and a quick whispered "no."

And here I was thinking Bond lost his touch....

And I quite agree about the Bourne quip as well. Well not really quip but.. meh, you get what I mean.. I hope.. (Sorry, I'm out of it.. kind of. or something)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
HavelockV

I have not yet seen the latest Bond film either, but friends of mine who did essentially confirmed what has already been stated in this thread; that it simply does not have the stylistic feel that one would expect of a film in this franchise.

Additionally, I have watched the music video for the theme song to this film and it sounds disjointed and is extremely out of character when compared to other James Bond songs, even to the point of making Madonna's 'Die Another Day' seem much more faithful to canon.

Perhaps I shall watch it when it appears on cable somewhere down the line, but for the time being, it does not interest me at all.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
MegearaErotica

When I first watched this particular movie, I said to myself,"How would you measure a quantum of solace?" I didn't like the movie very much, and fell asleep about twenty-five minutes in.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Laettners Legacy

it was crap. it was not a Bond film
Laettners Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
viscus

It was alright, could've used a few more breaks in the action.

To those of you complaining about it not being a "Bond film," there are 30 kajillion hackneyed Roger Moore films for you to choose from.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote