Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Canada: Police Search for Suspicious Fertilizer

Canada: Police Search for Suspicious Fertilizer

SOURCE

June 9, 2010

The Canadian police are searching for 3,582 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which can also be used to make explosives, sold to man who purchased it under false pretenses two weeks ago. The sale was made at a farm supply store about an hour’s drive from the Toronto convention center that will host the Group of 20 summit meeting this month. The man did not provide identification, as required by Canadian law, after convincing clerks that he was a regular customer. The clerks then helped him load the 65 bags of fertilizer onto a flatbed trailer pulled by a minivan. The store later realized that the man was not who he claimed, and contacted the police. The police say they have no evidence linking the purchase either to the summit or to bomb-making and acknowledge that the purchaser, described as a middle-aged man with a heavy accent and missing two fingers, may simply be fertilizing fruit trees.

Ben - "heavy accent and missing two fingers" ... Oh my!!!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

Recovered fertilizer quashes G20 bomb fears

SOURCE

Jun 09 2010

The dramatic search for the mystery man who bought about 1,500 kilograms of fertilizer — enough to make a major bomb — ended late Wednesday after he contacted investigators.

The ammonium nitrate was recovered from two locations in Toronto. Police officers with the RCMP’s Integrated National Security Enforcement Team, which is responsible for the coming G20 summit, said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the purchase.

Officers were tight-lipped about why the man had bought such a large quantity of fertilizer, but said no charges are expected to be laid.

Toronto Police Staff Supt. Jeff McGuire told CP24 Wednesday night it looked like “a gardening incident.”

The recovery of the ammonium nitrate was an anticlimactic end to a day in which RCMP officers held an unusual news conference and released three variations of a composite sketch of the man wanted in the case.

RCMP’s anti-terrorist unit took over the search for the man, who bought the large amount of ammonium nitrate on May 26 from Vineland Growers Cooperative in Lincoln, Ont.

The purchase set off alarm bells — first because the amount of fertilizer was so large and also because Vineland Growers didn’t get the man’s identification details after he gave the impression he was a regular customer.

Regulations require anyone who buys ammonium nitrate to be identified. Purchasers of bulk quantities are supposed to have registered account numbers and be able to show proof they’re legitimate farmers, which can mean showing membership with the Ontario Federation of Agriculture.

Investigators were concerned because although ammonium nitrate is commonly used for farming, it can also be used as an ingredient to make a bomb, said RCMP Sgt. Marc LaPorte.

He had said there was concern “because of the upcoming events in Huntsville and Toronto. We’re taking this potential threat seriously.”

The police asked for the public’s help in finding the man after initial canvassing of the region failed to provide any leads.

But the man, who has not been identified, approached the investigators soon after his sketch was shown on TV and posted on news websites.

Ben - So I guess the "heavy accent and missing two fingers" weren't what they seemed to be ... heck, the missing fingers could have even been the result of "a gardening incident."

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Saya

Thats hilarious.

They are being really paranoid though, a bank got firebombed a few weeks ago (no one was hurt but a lot of damage was done) and a lot of people are absolutely pissed with the Canadian government right now. I wish I could be there to protest with the rebELLEs but at the same time shit is probably going to go down.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote