Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
emeraldlonewoulf

Firearms intrest discussion (not political)

Hello, just to clarify: the purpose of this thread is to provide a place for people who are interested to discuss firearms, hunting, shooting sports, etc. It is NOT a place to discuss whether personal firearms ownership should be legal, guns in school, danger to the general populace or lack of it, etc. We have a political forum for that.

So, what are you guys interested in? Pistol shooting, long range, hunting, target shooting, gunsmithing, black powder, or anything else?

We only have three firearms right now, due to financial difficulty ( a czech 8mm mauser, a Makarov, and an SKS (milled, not stamped, yay!), they all were economical, good quality and take cheap ammo) but I've owned and AR-15, a .223 by Kimber (loved it, don't remember the actual model, but it didn't jam like the AR-15) a couple of .45 1911 style pistols ( I like the full frame), a 30-0-6 ordered from Savage with a left hand bolt ( I shoot left handed but learned with the standard orientation, and didn't like the left hand bolt, although I was not impressed with the quality of Savage arms, even the new ones) and several others.

I enjoy long distance shooting but still have a LOT to learn, have an interest in reloading and a strong interest in learning gunsmithing ( would love to get into firearms engineering if I ever actually get an education).

I would love to get a SIG P229, does anyone have exp. with this model? Also, have you seen the new Kimber .45's that came out last year? If I had a spare $1800 sitting around....well, I'd probably put that towards a new car, but you know what i mean....

sorry if this seems a little over exuberant, I kinda like this subject....

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
emeraldlonewoulf

also, i just realized I misspelled interest in the opening title.....and it is too late to edit it.... so, erm, yeah......

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Haunted House

I am a fan of firearms. My dad has taken me to a shooting range once. I'm not too savvy on correct gun names, but I'm most a fan of revolvers and semi-auto rifles. I think this love of firearms has spawnd from my love of zombies and the proper ways to despose of them. Hahaha. Gotta love that Zombie Survival Guide.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I have only touched one gun in my life, a BB Gun. *Laughs* I'm lame. Seriously my dad thinks I shouldn't handle firearms. He thinks I have better things to do than shoot things.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Mick Ignis

I'm a fan of old guns. I love my old Colt Peacemaker and often take it out to the shooting range. I love the style behind it.

I'm not a fan of overkill, military-style weapons. It seems insane to me for someone to own those if they're not using them for military combat.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Cool thread! I think members here on Gnet are mature enough to handle it, unlike other websites where such discussions were misunderstood or were perverted until idiots began taking guns to school. EmeraldLoneWolf: it is up to you and I to "moderate" this thread, so people don't go into illegal or inappropriate discussions. We cannot delete any posts, only try to respond to others, but it is a worthwhile thread, so here it goes:

I like punching holes in paper, i.e. target practice. (I don't like hunting, don't like killing animals for sport. I'll let farms raise and slaughter my steaks!) Before I began wearing glasses I could shoot 8-10 inch groups at 200 yards. I used to take my son, but he doesn't like to go anymore. My wife has shot with me a few times. I took my daughter, but she just watched, and didn't care to learn anything about shooting. We have 5 different shooting ranges all within a 45 minute drive. Unfortunately, none of them allow shooting with shotguns, so I have not been able to try my Winchester Defender Police Model pump shotgun. I can only shoot my rifles (I do not wish to go into specifics, but let's just say they run a variety of sizes and manufacturers. I keep them locked up in a gun safe that has a two lock system, and they also have trigger locks which require separate keys).

My best accuracy is with my .270 Winchester, it seems to have the best trajectory for the distance, I think it has a 3000 foot/second velocity.

For cutting the bullseye out of the target at 75-100 yards, I like my Russian SKS. The ten round fixed clip allows rapid semi-auto shooting, as frequently as you can squeeze your finger. Unfortuately, one can only shoot so fast, otherwise the range master comes over to make sure you aren't shooting something full auto.

My most prized gun is a little Sears model 50, a .22 that my Dad received for his 16th birthday, and handed over to me when I was young and still living at home in the 60's. Sentimental value. I intend to give it to my children (hopefully grandchildren), but I have to research the transfer laws first. There are a lot more laws on the books now than there used to be.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
HumanePain

I think I may have let my interest supercede my objectivity:
how appropriate is a firearms thread on Gothic dot net? 0.o

I could rationalize and say it provides a reference for those who wish to write murder and other stories involving guns, but really, it is probably out of place here. Not that I mind.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Draconysius

I'm terrified of firearms. I was forced to fire the loud, shoulder-crushing things as a youngster, so I try to avoid them now. However, I do have a sort of aesthetic fascination with them. While I'm terrified of them, I'm still somehow fascinated with them. It's hard to explain, I know.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Oww, but I wanted this thread to be about politics. Personally, I would never fire a gun, not even in a shooting range. But I am against gun control just as much as I am against someone tapping into phone conversations.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
MotherofMercies

I prefer archery myself. I hate rifels ever since I jarred my arm shooting one, I also got a black eye from the scop (didn't look good on a six year old who went to school the next day).
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
emeraldlonewoulf

Mick Ignis : Colt Peacemaker?! awesome.

Humane Paine: I understand some of your concerns as far as this type of thread. What I am proposing here is simply a sporting/interest thread, no mention has been made of anything resembling those possible concerns. IF there ever is, I will personally request this thread be shutdown. I just think people should have the right to discuss what they choose, and while rights do come with responsibility, I also do not think a certain subject should be considered taboo simply because someone, somewhere, misused that interest. We discuss sex, drugs, suicidal tendencies, and several other types of detrimental behavior. I hardly think that shooting sports fall into that catagory, but i think that some peoples' perception of it does, and even if you take that into account, I see that as no justification to tip toe around it. It is all the more reason for it to be discussed from the informed, responsible side of things, in order to demystify and properly educate. We take life and mortality head on elsewhere here, I see no difference should those subjects come up in this thread.

All that having been gone through, it sounds like you have a good handle on gun safety. a site you might find interesting : http://www.corneredcat.com/
I think her ideas on safety around children are right on the money. I'm sorry you haven't been able to try out your shotgun yet, I know how it itches when you want to try out a new purchase. I too have owned and used several rifles which did not merit going into detail on, (I already mentioned an interest in long distance shooting) but they were fun! Unfortunately, through financial concerns, divorce, etc. I no longer have them. It is also a good thing that you try to get your family involved. I have seen much more family involvement in the shooting sports over the last several years.

Note to all, which should be self explanatory: Safety first. SAFETY first. Safety FIRST. Do not do anything illegal. Do not write about anything illegal. Do not do anything stupid. You might not live through it. (But that could be said of many things) Make sure you go through an approved safety training course or have someone who knows what they are doing teach you before attempting to use or handle firearms. always make sure they are unloaded unless you are aimed at a target with a solid backdrop, the appropriate, legally stated distance from any residences, buildings etc., in fact, a shooting range is best, i would almost say mandatory for people new to the shooting sports.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
chelseagirl

I go to an awesome outdoor shooting range about once per month with a group of friends, several of whom are police officers. I love it. I'm a lifetime member of the NRA, and am also a licensed gun collector. When I bought my house, I bought it in Maryland (even though I work in D.C.; although it is right on the D.C./Maryland border), since owning firearms in the District is not allowed. My Xmas gift from my husband was a Springfield Armory XD with custom bored barrel (which cuts down on the kick-back when firing). I can't wait to get out to the range.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Sarge

I'm trying to get my mitts on a Rock River Arms AR-15,A2 with fixed carry handle please.

A couple 30 rounders and I'll have it made for a SHTF weapon(If the need ever arises)but it would mostly be used to terrorize empty cola cans

I have a Glock 17 for carry.

And a Ruger 22/45 for cheap target work.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
Rock River Arms AR-15,A2 with fixed carry handle please...

I have a Glock 17 for carry.
(drools...)

I would love to have a Glock too, but I hear the plastic spring has to be replaced every 500 rounds or so.

As for the lovely AR-15: it is no longer allowed in California.
Maybe I will retire in Florida or Texas someday...

I am an NRA member also, and help distribute Eddie Eagle firearm safety videos to schools. Hooray for the Second Amendment!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
LegendGirl

Funny that I should come upon this thread...I'm a firearms dealer.

I'm a big fan of Smith & Wesson's revolvers, specifically the models with a 2-inch barrel, .38 Special caliber. I have several. They're easy to conceal and fun to shoot, with low recoil.

I must say, it's very nice to come upon a thread about firearms that hasn't ended up being shrill and accusatory.
LegendGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #16
Cyntrox

I own a .56 caliber sauer (don't remember the full name), and I love to shoot at 200 meters. However, since it's winter now there is no outdoor shooting range open, and I have to shoot indoors - 15 meters with some lousy weak rounds
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
I'm trying to get my mitts on a Rock River Arms AR-15,A2 with fixed carry handle please.

Have you ever checked out www.gunbroker.com? It's sort of like ebay, but for guns and such.

I have a Rock River Arms AR-15! I LOVE it. I named her Vera. *wink* *wink*

I've just got to say, thank the gods I had a gun last week. I may very well have saved my life. Right before I left for work in the morning, a man broke into my house. He swung a crowbar at my roomate (a tiny 90 pound girl who I JUST moved into my house the day prior). I ran and got my glock, and as soon as he saw the me with the gun, he turned around and ran. I shudder to think what could have happened to my roommate if I had already left and she was alone in the house with him. I obviously never fired at him, since he ran. From the description, the officer who responded said that he had a good idea of who it was. The police came back later that day with some mug shots, and sure enough, it was the guy they suspected. At least they know who it is, although they still haven't found him. He had just gotten out of jail the day before, where he was doing time for breaking and entering.

So, the good news is, no one got hurt, the police know who it was, and there is a warrant out for his arrest. Bad news is, he managed to swipe my digital camera, which was sitting out on a table. I'm sure he's sold it for drugs by now...so i guess I need to start shopping around for a new one. I got my ADT security system upgraded this weekend.

I think I'm going to write a letter in to the NRA magazine to see if they'll publish it in the "armed citizen" section.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
emeraldlonewoulf

good idea. I'm glad to hear you were prepared, and you're right, if you hadn't been, no telling what could have happened. Unfortunately they don't massively publish those kinds of statistics in the mainstream media the way they do other kinds. Sometimes, that what it takes just to even the odds.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
ArtificialOne

My dad just got a new armalite ar-15 with the short barrel. I just bought a 40s&w carbine by Hi-point (and before anyone comments it's the same make as the columbine kids..I didn't know it at the time I bought it). The ar is awesome to shoot. Sounds loud witht he muzzle break but doesn't have lots of recoil. The carbine has more recoil than I thought but spits bullet pretty good. Need to sight it in better.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #20
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Well, since this seems to be a mature thread, with some pretty decent discussion, I'll bite. My love is black powder. I have a .41 caliber, brass frame, Civil War era revolver that my dad and I built when I was a kid. It is a wall hanger, I think we shot it twice and the brass stretched. I have a .50 caliber Hawkins pistol that I made, and a .50 caliber Hawkins rifle to match. They are the old ball and cap style, none of this fancy new inline muzzle loader stuff. I also have a .45 Long Colt Ruger Vaquero with a 5 1/2" barrel, that has probably seen more shooting than any of the rest. I used to be a hunter many, many years ago, but I could not justify killing anything after I killed my first deer, so I let other people do that. To each his own. I have a .270 Remington pump action that I absolutely love. A 30-30 Winchester, one of the newer models, is one of my newer guns, it's a lever action, great for going out into the hills and shooting pop can boxes. Then there is the old stand by for self defense, the Hi-Point 9mm semi-auto. It is the only semi-auto I own, and about as "high tech" as I will probably ever get. I live in the "bad" part of town (yes they exist in Wyoming) next to a drug house, and have had people break in before, so it gets to live in my room with me. I also take it on road trips with me, since I have been known to pull over at rest areas to sleep when I just get too tired to go any further. I just really love plinking, as I said, I don't hunt any more, I can't stand the thought of it, so mostly, they are conversation pieces more than anything.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
republigoth

Goth AND pro-gun? How come I never meet any of you people in real life!? I happen to be waring my NRA shirt right now...anyway...

My favorite thing I've tried so far is the M24 SWS (army sniper rifle). I felt like god, just laying back and picking off targets leisurely from 700 meters away. Just reaching down out of the sky, you know? I want to go to the army sniper school so bad now. Not in my job description though.

I've also tried an AK-47, M16A1, M16A2, Uzi, I don't even know how many pistols, and a .44 Magnum that took a huge chunk out of my thumb with it's ridiculous recoil. Honestly, unless it's a penis size thing that I don't understand because I'm female, I don't see the point in owning that ridiculous gun. Ever. I almost needed stiches just from firing the stupid thing. And I'm no weenie.
republigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #22
ArtificialOne

OK, lets not go into the penis size thing.

Everyone always want to outdo eachother. That's the reason behind everything mostly.

Of course, I'm a tech head so I like the hi tech stuff. Such as the laser defense system being trialed and also the electro magnetic rail guns that can fire slugs at nearly twice the speed of sound with only a whisper when fired and can penetrate almost any armor. Of course the green laser that makes people go all funny is pretty neat too (crowd control). And lets not forget the Microwave energy beam that makes people go all warm and goey inside!!! lol

Oh well thats just a few.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #23
republigoth

[quote=ArtificialOne]OK, lets not go into the penis size thing.

Everyone always want to outdo eachother. That's the reason behind everything mostly.

[/QUOTE}

I'm not saying I'm opposed to penis accessories in the forms of vehicles and firearms, I'm just saying what's the point in it being big if it doesn't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
And lets not forget the Microwave energy beam that makes people go all warm and goey inside!!!
That congers images of weapons shooting out playful kittens. That make people go all warm a gooy inside...

Have you seen the Land Warrior prototype? I watched a thing on the military channel about it. It's got gps, built in computer (with a computer touch-pad on the rifle) heat/night/recording vision that's linked wirelessly to the command station, mounted on both the helmet and the rifle. Data upload and download connection to the command station. It kinda makes you look like a cyborg, which is awesome. Unforunatly it's like 79 lbs and the design sucks incredibly. I hope they get it functional while I'm enlisted.

I like the new Israeli assault rifle, though. Wish we were issued that. I forget what it's called.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #24
republigoth

That quoting came out really weird, let's try that again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
OK, lets not go into the penis size thing.

And lets not forget the Microwave energy beam that makes people go all warm and goey inside!!! lol
I'm not saying I'm opposed to penis accessories in the forms of vehicles and firearms, I'm just saying what's the point in it being big if it doesn't work?

Your discription of mircowave engery congers images of weapons shooting out playful kittens. That make people go all warm a gooy inside...

Have you seen the Land Warrior prototype? I watched a thing on the military channel about it. It's got gps, built in computer (with a computer touch-pad on the rifle) heat/night/recording vision that's linked wirelessly to the command station, mounted on both the helmet and the rifle. Data upload and download connection to the command station. It kinda makes you look like a cyborg, which is awesome. Unforunatly it's like 79 lbs and the design sucks incredibly. I hope they get it functional while I'm enlisted.

I like the new Israeli assault rifle, though. Wish we were issued that. I forget what it's called.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #25
ArtificialOne

Re you talking about the isreali gun with the action in the stock and the short barrel with extreme accuracy designed for urban conditions?

Thats pretty cool.

Before I got out here I bought a Hi-point .40sw carbine and my dad bought the new ar with chrome barrel.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me: