Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Jessie

This is obviously an introduction.

My username? Jessie. My name is Jessie. Terribly simple.
Now to answer the surprisingly comprehensive list of questions.
What do you do?
Hobbies
I read, draw/scribble, MUSIC is a noun but I do everything but make it, I like helping people. My favorite is thinking. May sound ignorant, and yet again simple, but it's anything but, like me. (Could any of that sound more pretentious? I think not.) I have a real thirst for learning, and I think and question everything: it makes me feel alive.

Job
I'm a writer.

Where are you from?
I'm not really from anywhere. I was born in Tennessee and never lived there. I am a military brat.

My favorite author is . . .
Poppy Z. Brite. I delight in what may be trite; I cease to see it as such.

My favorite films . . .
I have so many favorites, this one is REALLY hard. Unbelievably hard. Velvet Goldmine has to be my fav though. So many others!!!

Wedding song:
Lovesong. Don't laugh at me! Well, actually, I don't mind. But I don't like diamonds, so why not eh?

Funeral Song:
Mozart. Anything Mozart! Once again, pretentious . . . I choose Mozart because I love him, so not the Requiem so no one gets the wrong idea!

I want to die . . .
By drowning. I'm really, REALLY terrified of drowning.

I want a _____ casket.
Gray, because its my favorite color. I must have some lace and silk on the inside. And I want to be buried with Wuthering Heights. I'm now laughing at myself.

My fav outfit is . . .
WAS my rainbow jeans, which really weren't the rainbow (skipped green!) which caused me to wear a green shirt every time I wore 'em. Now, any time I wear my circus tent size black flowy and layered skirt with so many holes from loving wear, or my black raver pants with glow and the dark snappy thingies all over them I am ecstatic!

One thing I miss about being a kid . . .
Feeling innocent. I haven't felt innocent since I was four, and stopped then after reading my first book and then the whole dictionary: I couldn't stop crying because I was horrified that I'd never be able to express my thoughts in a way others would truly understand. . .

My fav band . . .
Also tough. Very, very tough. I obviously love the Cure. Bauhaus "rocks my socks." I recently discovered My Chemical Romance (I was horrified that they are so mainstream but I simply love them now! And not just because Mikey Way turns me into a squirmy fangirl!) But probably Judas Priest.

My education:
I'm in high school. I plan to go to St John's College, so no majors: it's a freaky liberal arts school!

Why I Joined?
I remember the day I first heard the term "goth" and it was derogatory, I was reading Phantom of the Opera, Gaston LeRoux novel, and I was intrigued. Especiallyb to learn Bauhaus (someone I discovered through a cover song I loved -Ziggy Stardust!) was "the first." And I felt (tee hee) like I'd found my people.
I am looking for conversation, really. And music exposure, because art is my life.

And . . .
I am of the vagina-possessing community, if you couldn't figure it out.

I'm really glad to have found this site.
Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Clockwork

Hello. I love the way you write... t'will be a pleasure posting with you. Welcome to Gnet.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
maggot

You most certainly are a brat, military or otherwise. Cut the "clever" sarcasm until youre less obnoxious about it.

Also, why did it change from rainbow to Tripp or JNCO pants? Because you're a gawth now?

I noticed you only mentioned the most mainstream goth bands.

Tell me who Johnny Slut is. NO GOOGLING [Or wikipedia]

I know I'm a jerk. New people here so often suck.
I'm just a cynic.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Jessie

Thanks for the welcome, Clockwork and Maggot.

I have to start off by saying I do love glam rock, so Johnny Slut did sound familiar. I did google it, but please don't label me "gawth" for that one. I said I came here for music, and I meant it: I recognize that I need more exposure, I want it. I don't every claim to be a gothy goddess; my claim to fame would be moreso in literature, anway.
I didn't find you a jerk for saying this. I respect you for doing so, because this site certainly would attract the type of which you suspect. In my own defense, I must say that I still wear rainbows (I just mourn those pants, still...) and I made my raver pants. They make me happy. Not a crime!
Since you were quick to spot my problem (I don't want to sound sarcastic here, I'm serious!) could you possibly suggest a few goth bands that I should know, that aren't mainstream? And before someone directs me to the music threads, I'm already on my way there, I was just posting in the literature boards.
I'm not kissing your ass or anything, but I do respect you for this. Hopefully you won't think me so much a newbie now? I don't mean that in a desperate way . . . but I did warrant a reply and I'd hoped it wasn't because I seemed like some annoying trendyfuck.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Hi Jessie. Welcome.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
deathbecomesme

Hello and Welcome.
...the costume without the brain."
--Peter Murphy
deathbecomesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
PersephoneX

Welcome...

Try not to piss anyone off and you'll be ok...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Encaitare

Hi there, dearie.

Why do you want to die by drowning if you're so afraid of it?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
maggot

Well, I'm a rivethead, a sucker for industrial. On the other hand, based on your musical taste, I'd more reccomend horrorpunk and deathrock bands. I can list a few, but for everything on deathrock, go to Draconysius and Haunted House.

Sex Gang Children
Ausgang
Specimen

...my mind is going blank right now. I'll list more later?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Draconysius

Mmm... MCR disgusts me. Anyway, I do suggest a few proto-gothic rock bands, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Sisters of Mercy, and Joy Division to get you started. Then there's deathrock, where you have your UK Decay, Ausgang, Sex Gang Children, Kommunity FK, and of course, Christian Death. Look up those and see where you go from there.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
Jessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Hi there, dearie.

Why do you want to die by drowning if you're so afraid of it?
I figure I should make the best of such a celebrated event . . . I try to conquer all my fears, but the only way to conquer my fear of drowning, for me I feel is to drown.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

And I shan't piss anyone off, or not intentionally, because I don't aim to "piss off" for any disagreement should be civilised, I feel. I don't pick fights.

And I do love Siouxsie and Joy Division, but as I've said I have much to learn, so thanks so much.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
the_dude

army brat! totally awesome!
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote