Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Raptor

Hi

Hi my name is Stuart, found this board when I was looking for inspiration pics. I don't look or dress goth at the moment, but thats what I'm going to change. Waiting a month or two more to get out of school though, unfortunately where I go theres pretty strict apperance rules so no overly long hair (I'm already pushing it) and no colours

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Hobbies, mainly just hanging out with people, listening to music, all the usual, plus airsoft if anyone here knows what that is. No job right now, finishing up my A Levels, then off to Uni!

2. Where are you from?
Hertfordshire, England

3. Who is your favorite author?
Hmm, Philip Pullman

4. What are your favorite films?
Loads, Black Hawk Down, Donnie Darko, Team America, Underworld, Resident Evil, Serenity

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
6. At your funeral?
Honestly have no idea about either of these.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Knowing me it will be an accident thats all my own fault lol.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Ornate

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My big black jeans and band tshirts probably

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
My best friend, he went to a different school after

11. What's your favorite band?
I listen to lots of stuff, at the moment... probably Children of Bodom or Marilyn Manson

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
11 GCSE's, 4 AS levels, currently doing 3 A2 levels, and hopefully off to Uni to study physics later this year

13. Why did you join?
Like I said I was looking for inspiration pics (hair styles) and found this, looks good!

And I'm a guy if you haven't guessed from my name, and I'm 18.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Raptor

A new answer for Q13 is the thread in the music section called Primer On Gothic Music. Always good to find a couple of bands you haven't heard before, or old ones you've forgotten about
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Breathless Horror

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy your stay. I doubt that you'll have any trouble finding almost obscene amounts of inspiration here. It's a pity your school doesn't let you dress as you wish, but we all have to make sacrifices sometimes. So once agian, welcome and enjoy.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Raptor

Yeh actually I go to school in England so we all dress in uniforms lol. Although I'm in 6th form so we wear our own suits rather than uniform now. Mine is just stricter about hair than a lot of places here. Not long untill I leave though so it doesn't really matter.
Thanks, I think I will enjoy it here
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Dancing_in_rain

Welcome! I sympathise with you and your school uniform. Mine isn't great either...

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Raptor

They have a lot of pockets... thats about all the uniform has going for it. Ah well, at least we aren't all required to have the exact same hair too. Another person from England Dancing_in_rain? Don't have to answer that if you don't want to obviously
Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Dancing_in_rain

Nope, not from England. I live in the country where, accoridng to stereotypes:
- I go to school in a dog sled
- I live in an igloo
- I have a pet polar bear
- I wear the fur of baby seals
- I am inuit

Oh, and #1: I speak Canadian

Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
killer_asian_Dax

You're.....either Alaskan or from some baren overly frozen, sparsely inhabited part of Canada. Am I right?

And welcome to G Net.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Valerius

I would guess to think Nova Scotia.

And yeah, for highschool I had to wear a school uniform too. Bu, once I got to college I was only limited by a dresscode, which still sucks.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
Vako

These days I've been wondering if uniform dress codes would not to good here in California. When the bell rings and they get home the uniform comes off and they can dress however they want. The part I don't agree with is the hair part. That is something that grows out of your own body and it takes years to earn. I find it too oppressive and controllive to have hair-length regulations in the school uniform/dress code. When I was at secondary, then high school, our dress codes did not include uniforms or hair-length requirements. They seemed more worried about obscene/profane/offensive messages on clothing, etc. In other words, they had the Puritan poll shoved. They also banned spikes, etc.

I don't know about Britain, but I can see how here, a dress code that required uniforms would have avoided alot of unnecessary problems and would be more conducive to the functioning of a scholastic environment by eliminating distraction.

That's what I have to say about it, anyway.

Welcome, Raptor.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #11
Dancing_in_rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_asian_Dax
You're.....either Alaskan or from some baren overly frozen, sparsely inhabited part of Canada. Am I right?
Not exactly...I live in Montreal but have been asked all of the questions in my previous posts. Stupid people. No, I don't speak Canadian. Oh wait, maybe that's cause Canadian doesn't exist! And no, I don't live in an igloo or go to school in dog sled.

For me, the uniform can be considered a bit of a blessing. No worrying about what you're going to wear in the morning, because it will be the same uniform as always. Also, for those who care about brand names, unlike me, no being judged because your clothes come from Winners as opposed to Diesel. However, I would prefer just to have a dress code instead of a full uniform. With a dress code, you're allowed some liberty. Some friends of mine in Scotland have to wear black bottoms and a white top for school, but that's it. So they could wear bondage pants and a poet shirt if they wanted and the school can't tell them not to.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
Raptor

Well, I think I agree with you, it does save time in the mornings. What Vako said about eliminating distractions, I don't know what its like to not wear uniforms so I can't compare but to be honest it doesn't seem to have helped much here. Maybe it would be worse with people wearing their own clothes. Yeh the hair thing is annoying, its not like you can change it when you can get home. Its not as bad as it could be, I think the rule is worded about collar length hair being the maximum for guys so I've ended growing a very emo/scene fringe lol, planning on colouring it with black and purple as soon as school is over. Anyway the whole country isn't like that, I must go to one of the stricter public schools. I know that the other ones in my area are a lot more lenient on dress/hair especally for 6th formers (6th form is the last two years of seconday school and they're optional). Oh and piercings, those are technically banned but you can get away with wearing those clear plastic things.
I don't think I've heard any of those sterotypes of Canadians before, I always thought it looked like a nice place to visit. Been to a few European countries like Austria, Iceland, France and Germany but only traveling through, Italy, Belgium and also to the US, I've enjoyed every trip. Shame travel is so expensive.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
Aaroneet

Welcome to G.net. May your stay be every bit as pleasant as mine.
Aaroneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing_in_rain
Not exactly...I live in Montreal but have been asked all of the questions in my previous posts. Stupid people. No, I don't speak Canadian. Oh wait, maybe that's cause Canadian doesn't exist! And no, I don't live in an igloo or go to school in dog sled.

For me, the uniform can be considered a bit of a blessing. No worrying about what you're going to wear in the morning, because it will be the same uniform as always. Also, for those who care about brand names, unlike me, no being judged because your clothes come from Winners as opposed to Diesel. However, I would prefer just to have a dress code instead of a full uniform. With a dress code, you're allowed some liberty. Some friends of mine in Scotland have to wear black bottoms and a white top for school, but that's it. So they could wear bondage pants and a poet shirt if they wanted and the school can't tell them not to.

Oh. I lose. OH well, it's not like I was putting any thought into my answer. Just kind of typed out what first came to mind. Uniforms are a good thing though. In some places.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
JuliaSeizure

Welcome to the fold!
JuliaSeizure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #16
Raptor

Cheers for the welcomes from everyone.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I don't think I've heard any of those sterotypes of Canadians before, I always thought it looked like a nice place to visit. Been to a few European countries like Austria, Iceland, France and Germany but only traveling through, Italy, Belgium and also to the US, I've enjoyed every trip. Shame travel is so expensive.
It is a BEAUTIFUL place to be, as long as you take the effort to check out the country's best places; the outdoors. If you ever manage to get out here, make sure you go camping for at least a couple of days in a national park. I would suggets Algonquin Park in Ontario. The bonus is that camping is a lot cheaper than staying in hotels.

And travel is ridiculously expensive. I'm probably going to have to cancel my trip to Spain this summer due to lack of funds .

I believe I may have already welcomed you, but I like you. So Welcome welcome welcome. Come visit the canadian g-netters some time.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Raptor

Thanks very much
Yeh the outdoors looks nice there, I'd like to visit one day. I haven't thought about camping before, never tried that in another country but yes it is cheap compared to hotels.
I can recommend Iceland for its geography if you like that, it has amazing landscapes. I think I'll leave it at that before I start describing everything I liked about each trip.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Dancing_in_rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Come visit the canadian g-netters some time.
YES! Visit us meager Canadians. After all, there aren't that many of us, even less in Montreal...I think I'm the only one in MTL actually.

Lets see...Canadian G-Netters:
Breathless Horror / Harry
DarkGentleman
Saddiction

I know there are a few more...but where? And who?

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Raptor

Well I get a student loan for uni, maybe I can use some of that to help fund a trip. I really need another job...