Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Soy Will NOT Make You Gay

http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?titl...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Eating Soy Will Not Make You Gay (We Swear)

The blogosphere has been abuzz (yech - did I just say that?) with chatter about the provocatively titled Soy is making kids gay. (Subhead: There's a slow poison out there that's severely damaging our children and threatening to tear apart our culture. The ironic part is, it's a "health food," one of our most popular.)

Normally I wouldn't give two hoots about what a minister thinks about the effects of a food on my body (not that I have anything against ministers- just that I'd rather hear it from a qualified expert) but this time I have to take up the gauntlet, if only because, coincidentally, I have been having this exact same debate with a friend of mine for, oh, about two years.

Here's the deal, people:

Soy contains phytoestrogens. The overwhelming evidence is that these compounds, and the protein in the soy, are very healthy for you, and may reduce the risk of breast cancer in women. At the very least, beans are good plant food, happy for you, happy for mother earth; happy happy happy.

(Just ask Dr. Weill, who says: "I'm aware of Internet paranoia on the subject of soy and the contention that only fermented soy is safe to consume. That is simply not true.")

Phytoestrogens are estrogen mimics. BUT - get this - they are actually less effective than regular estrogens when they hit estrogen receptors on your cells. That's right - these substances, far from juicing you up with lady-hormones, might actually block the effects of estrogen, which as we all know is a good and important thing if you're a man, since John Wayne is dead and it's on us to pick up the slack. (Riiiight.)

Anyway no one's ever shown that soy is biologically active in the amounts a normal human can consume in a day. Plus, there are billions of asians who are eating way more of it than most westerners every day, and you don't see them mincing about town in spotless waistcoats like Oscar Wilde now do you? and that hasn't affected those soy-eating men in the way the aforementioned article claims it would affect them (not that it would matter if it did - as one commenter pointed out, if this were real it could help us solve the overpopulation issue, that is if it's true that gay men have fewer kids than heterosexual men, and I don't have time to get a fact-check on that).

Update: that was satire, people! I heart gays, and I extra extra un-heart bigoted ministers who don't heart them as much as I do. Here is sharebear to make up for any wrongs I may have done.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Senor_Sadomachism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?titl...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Update: that was satire, people! I heart gays, and I extra extra un-heart bigoted ministers who don't heart them as much as I do. Here is sharebear to make up for any wrongs I may have done.
And I hearts you too. Thank you for posting. Actually I never believed that in the first place, I just posted the other article as a little show and tell.
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

*Laughs* I do heart gays and I do extra, extra un-heart bigoted ministers who hate gays but I did not wrote that, the author of the article did.

But yes I figured I would post this for fun.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
biohazard

Soy will not make you gay. I don`t think any food can make a person gay, either. Soy is mcuh too common to have such an obvious negative effect on people. If this were true, it would have been known much before. Soy does not make men gay.