Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
NachtSorcier

What is the point of calculus?

I will never understand why it is necessary for me to know the answer to 2x squared + 14x + 24 / x + 4

I should probably just throw my ACT application away.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
MollyMac

Same reason it's necessary to doagram a sentence.

Bare minimum, it's critical and analytical thinking at its best. It is necessary for certain fields that you may find yourself eventually interested in. (I majored in art history, but it is my trigonometry ability that landed me my day job in legal research and survey- go figure).

It's a basis for comparison.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
NachtSorcier

I can think, I just prefer to do it with words instead of numbers.

I'm completely discouraged with the whole idea of going to college. I don't even really want to.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
DeathChii

It's only necessary if you're going in to certain feilds that require said knowledge.
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

That's actually basic algebra.
Calculus is this http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun20...anCalculus.jpg
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
NachtSorcier

Well, whatever. The point is I suck at math and I hate it.

As per needing it, it is a required basic course and it's part of the ACT test, which is the most pressing matter at the moment.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
LaBelleDameSansMerci

It has applications in physics, at least. I remember in the motion unit in grade 11 physics, there were eduvideos that had really confusing "derivative machines" that took derivatives of equations, though to what purpose I don't remember. Maybe chemistry, too, but I either don't know or can't remember.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
Cicero

Calculus is extremely important in physics. An example is in the relationships between acceleration, velocity and distance traveled - they're all linked by differentiation/integration.

Integration is also useful in statistics in calculating probabilites of continuous variables using definite integrals and all that good stuff.

I can imagine it would also be useful in engineering.

Other than that it's just fun* >_>

*does not apply to exams.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Calculus is needed to solve Maxwell's Equations (my favorite equations) for describing a beam of light: it's polarization, electric and magnetic fields through a vacuum and through various media. If you are going to design lasers and optical systems you will need the calculus. It blows my mind that Newton came up with it; his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica or just Principia is one of the most influential compositions to have ever graced mankind, describing our universe for ages to come, and to this day can even coexist with Einstein's laws at sub-light velocities.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Valerius

Never thought I'd be needing calculus at all back when I was still in highschool. But... surprise, surprise!!! Calculus reared its ugly head again in university as part of my Statistics 102 class.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That's actually basic algebra.
Calculus is this http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun20...anCalculus.jpg
Exactly. If you're complaining about algebra, you do not want to know what calculus is like. *shivers*
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Calculus is extremely important in physics. An example is in the relationships between acceleration, velocity and distance traveled - they're all linked by differentiation/integration.
That's what it was! I remember!*smacks self* I probably don't remember because I hadn't learned calculus before I was learning about that stuff....

I took calculus in high school, but I went into Fine Arts, so I've never needed it. :\ Oh well, it was a fun class, partly because I had a really awesome/entertaining teacher. He'd write on the board while standing and facing us, so he couldn't even see what he was writing. It actually turned out to be legible.
And once it was obvious that the class would finish the curriculum before the end of classes, he stopped teaching us math on Mondays and Fridays, and instead taught us Chinese, or drew on the board (and he was really good at it too) or got us all into discussions about random things.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
NachtSorcier

Ah, well, I do not want to be a physicist, an engineer or a mathemetician of any kind. See, the question here is why do I need to know it?

Yes, I do complain about algebra. If you want to know how shitty at math I am, I'll paint the picture:

In my freshman year of high school, I took Integrated Math II, which was just the basics of algebra, geometry and all that jazz. I passed that with something like a C.

Sophomore year I was in Algebra I; I failed it.

Junior year I had to take Algebra I again; I passed it with a D.

Senior year I moved on to Geometry; I maintained a D for the most part.

I never had a chance to take calculus or trigonometry because they started me out on Integrated; you have to have taken Alegbra I, Geometry and Algebra II before you can take Calculus and then Trig. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't have taken Algebra II had I passed Algebra I the first time; you were only required to have three math credits in order to graduate, so if you pass your first three math classes, you don't have to take a fourth math class during your senior year if you don't want to.

Now there's precalc on a test that I need to get into college and I'm afraid. Yes, in a lot of ways I am a coward and big changes in life scare me. I'm afraid of failure and I'm afraid of being dumber than everyone around me.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #14
Cicero

The trick to maths is not to think too much. Thinking too much twists your brain in too many useless directions.

Algebra is a puzzle. As long as you can add, subtract, divide and multiply (or have a calculator handy) you can do anything. Just keep your working clear and do things one step at a time.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Is it just solving equations and factorising? (that problem in your first post looks like polynomial long division, so I'm just guessing). I like explaining stuff, so if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Also... don't despair just because you haven't done brilliantly in your previous maths courses. It's probably not because you suck at maths, but because your teachers sucked at teaching it to you.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
Tenrai Hogosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier

Now there's precalc on a test that I need to get into college and I'm afraid. Yes, in a lot of ways I am a coward and big changes in life scare me. I'm afraid of failure and I'm afraid of being dumber than everyone around me.
You will need to take a Calc is you plan to pursue Any Science. One College I attended required a Nursing Degree to at least Take Calc I.
College is about discovery. This is the best place to challenge yourself. Who cares what others think. Everybody begins College unsure. Then leaves with a little self-awareness.
Tenrai Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #16
Rae Ven Rae

Hey--I am such a right brainer it ain't even funny--when I apply myself I am usually good at math, but I SUCK at it, and I think of myself as a smart gal...Nacht, from what I have seen here, you are hardly dumb -- you appear very intelligent with a fun nature...your fear is probably what is hindering you--once you relax, I have a feeling you will do fine--if my right brain ass can do it, you will ace it! *big e hugs*
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #17
Wormboy

Calculus exists to help dogs find their way around

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
NachtSorcier

Heh, I feel much better now. Thanks for your kind words.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #19
Wormboy

It's true, dogs use formulas you learn in calculus to navigate =)

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote