Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Stuporman

Unfortunate Experiences with Parasites

Does anybody have a memorable experience involving parasites? Ticks, leeches, bot flies, bats, whatever you got. No humans, unless they're supernatural.

One time when I was maybe nine, I was walking around with my sister and we went under a tree. I glanced down and saw about four purpose-minded ticks on my shirt. As I frantically tore them off, my sister behind me screamed, "There are ticks everywhere!" It is at this point that I sprinted toward my house in blind fear, leaving my sister for dead. I felt bad about that for a while.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

HAH HAH HAH. Leaving her for dead!

But yeah. I've had leeches on me. It's no good.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Graveyard.Crow

I think I would faint if I had something sucking my blood without my permission that happened to be an scary (to me) as a leech.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
††BlackRose††

A really concerning thing happened in my high school. This was when the school was brand new and I was in grade 9. In our cafeteria a bat appeared from nowhere and everyone screemed and huddled in one corner. It landed on a really tall girl and she took it outside. Fortunately she didnt have any rabis or anything.

There plenty more where that one came from. More bats, but this time all over our library. Which makes me think... how the fuck did construction workers miss them and where the fuck did they come from? LOL
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Graveyard.Crow

I want to go to your school. NOW
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
††BlackRose††

LOL. They got rid of the bats now

Now we have a light flickering problem so you may witness someone getting a siezure (sp?). LOL.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Graveyard.Crow

Naw.....seizures aren't fun to look at.
But wow, I can't imagine bats in a school. That is so...strange.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
††BlackRose††

It is. We were all wondering why they were there since it's a new school. But imagine that as a class pet or something. LOL.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

That makes me jealous.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
††BlackRose††

I got jealous at the girl who the bat came to!!!! She touched a bat and it was comfortable on her thumb!!!! I wanted to touch it but the teachers were like "you're gonna get rabis" and shit .
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Eh rabis isn't such a big deal anymore, thanks to a Wisconsinite a cure is available for any stage of the disease.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Cicero

We get bats flying into our house in Malaysia a lot, and occassionally sleep hanging from the roof of our carport. They're so damn cute! They aren't parasites though, only vampire bats are parasites.

I kept two leeches as pets once: Louis and Lestat. I'd feed them only on myself, with the thought that eventually every cell in their body would have been derived from me - effectively making them my 'children', haha. They disappeared though, probably making their way to the jungle next to my old house (I hope).

Then there was the time I was out in the rainforest on one of my mother's expeditions. The rain was pelting down and there were leeches EVERYWHERE. I got back to camp and thought I had my period because there was blood running down my legs, but it was just a leech on my bikini line >_> (and just about every other part of my legs).

About two years ago every pet in my house in Malaysia got ticks. Somehow none of the treatments were working, and they kept getting re-introduced by the wild dogs playing with our own dogs. There were literally ticks crawling up every wall, infesting every bed and every couch. We had glasses of alcohol and tweezers all around the house, to kill them after picking them off ourselves, the pets and the furniture. We got one off one of the dogs that was literally a centimetre in diameter.

I actually really like parasites. They're fun.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
Nevan

Not a parasite, but 13 years ago I bit into a juicy peach, chewed and swallowed and when I was just about to take a next bite I discovered half a worm wriggling where I had just bitten. Yech. I haven't touched a peach since.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
Cyntrox

What's worse than finding a worm in an apple...? =P
Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #15
Nevan

... realizing that the other half of that worm is in your stomach!

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #16
Necropolis

Cicero, that tick story of yours makes me sick. I hate ticks.

Well, I've had leeches and ticks on me before; not terribly exciting.
Necropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #17
Corpsey

My only experience with parasites has been with Mosquitoes.

Damn those creatures right to Dragonfly Heaven.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey

Totally agree, Corpsey. Both my legs are covered right now, and I mean covered, with red mosquito bites. I'm like a mobile buffet. *Sigh* And an itchy one too now.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Amarantha

>.<

Once, stuff happened....in the woods....and there were mosquitoes.

43 BITES.

(Then again, that's not so hard to believe, once one factors in my considerable state of undress...)

If only they weren't a main food source for bats. *sigh*
Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

I kept two leeches as pets once: Louis and Lestat. I'd feed them only on myself, with the thought that eventually every cell in their body would have been derived from me - effectively making them my 'children', haha. They disappeared though, probably making their way to the jungle next to my old house (I hope).
Are you serious? What is with people? Leeches are DIRTY. You can get horrible infections from that! Why do people just allow themselves to be put in harm's way?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #21
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Depends on where you get the leeches, they still are used for medical purposes even in this day and age, though not as freely as they did hundreds of years ago ("go on eat the little boy"- Dr. Nick Riviera treating Mozart).

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Depends on where you get the leeches, they still are used for medical purposes even in this day and age, though not as freely as they did hundreds of years ago ("go on eat the little boy"- Dr. Nick Riviera treating Mozart).
Yeah, I'm guessing she didn't get her leeches from a hospital.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey

Yes I know I really do hate them. They even attacked my face before!!! Its really weird walking around with swollen red bites on your face. LOL.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Once, I was sitting in a park looking at the stars with my girlfriend when some bizarre black substance from a distant world fell from the heavens and immediately attached itself to the back of my scooter. I awoke later that night to find myself dressed in a black version of my ordinary costume, overwhelmed by a feeling of europhia and an ecstatic sensation of invincibility. I began to wear this strange black costume with great frequency, even as my physics professor, with whom I had provided a sample of the strange substance by which it was composed, warned me, "I'm not a biologist, but this seems to possess the characteristics of a symbiote. It enhances its host's aggression and desire to wear emo bangs to dangerous levels- if I were you, I wouldn't make a costume out of this a wear it." Ultimately, after the symbiote caused me to beat the shit out of my girlfriend, I retreated to the tower of a cathedral and banished it from my body forever using the intense sonic vibrations produced by the church bell. Mary Jane and I made up, I forgave Sandman, my best friend died, and everyone's friends now.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #25
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Are you serious? What is with people? Leeches are DIRTY. You can get horrible infections from that! Why do people just allow themselves to be put in harm's way?
You can't get diseases from leeches - they don't feed often enough for diseases to survive in them, and are not a known vector for any pathogens. My mother's colleagues are leech experts, I discussed these things with them before proceeding with my 'experiment' (though it was mainly just for laughs anyway).

And I got the leeches from the middle of the rainforest in Taman Negara, the biggest national park in Malaysia. Probably one of the cleanest places on earth when you consider how 'unclean' most human-inhabited places (and indeed most HOSPITALS) are.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote