Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
CountSixstring

Smashing Pumpkins

Yeah. So they are awesome. I feel that they can be very influential to modern goth rock too. I love Billy Corgan. their new album is quite great as well. I didn't expect it to be worth shit. I saw them at Voodoo Fest and Billy was amazing. He whipped out EVH solos (Don't like EVH) but he was amazing anyway. Their song-writing is influenced by the Cure and Bauhaus while his guitar influences come from bands like Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix's stuff. I feel like they are overlooked in the goth community because of their pop status, but they are still awesome. I'm one for the classic lineup, but Billy and Jimmy still have it going for them. Also, has anyone heard "A Gothic Industrial Tribute to the Smashing Pumpkins"? Gimme some feedback.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Green.Lady

I quite like the Smashing Pumpkins, but I'm too afraid to listen to their new album because I have a nice image of their music in my mind that I don't want to touch. They have a unique sound.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Rosie

The album keeps the sound. Don't worry. Main difference is that there's not enough dreamy melodies, which kind of sucked. But it still sounds like the Pumpkins. I'm guessing someone in the band/production team was able to keep Corgan's ego down when coming up with shit like D'Arcy used to.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Green.Lady

All right. Maybe I'll check it out, then...
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
CountSixstring

Yeah Its a great album. It's not as delectable as their older music, but its got some stuff to it. You can still tell that Corgan pretty much wrote all of it.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
SanityClause

Unfortunately, I lost all respect for Billy when he reformed the Pumpkins.
I just think the new album is lacklustre, and sterile.

Hurts me to say that, as I was a huge fan, even paid £200 for MCIS on vinyl.
SanityClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Ruhiel

Now I love the Smashing Pumpkins, and I bought the CD, but unfortunately I only think it's 'alright'.

Jumping aboard the band-wagon, I do love their older stuff far more than this. I liked "Tarantula", "Bleeding the Orchid", and "Starz" (best track off of the CD I think), but the rest are 'meh'.

But remember, reforming after so long might have left Billy a bit out of it. I believe he's even stated that he made this album to appeal to a new generation (which, if you look at MTV and other so-called "music sources" doesn't really know much of good music...).

Hopefully their next album will return to Pumpkin goodness. Billy is truly one hell of a guitar player, I'll give him that. And his voice is quite unique in the rock world, why he's even been called the "Prince of alternative rock" at one time.
Ruhiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
CountSixstring

Yeah those are all great songs. My favorite is still Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I love that album. Now, my favorite songs on Zeitgeist are "Neverlost", "Bleeding the Orchid", and "Pomp and Circumstances". I try to overlook Billy's antics, but I also feel that he's misunderstood. We also have to remember that this is the first politically charged album from the Pumpkins. "Bleeding the Orchid" was intentionally made in an "Alice in Chains" style and it's about the way alternative rock was marketed in the 90's and it lost its value. I thought that was neat.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
fiends

I like them alright.
It's sort of a strange sound, but cool at the same time.

Tarantula is a cool song.
fiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
CountSixstring

Tarantula has a funny video.