Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
L'Oiseau Noir

A Strange Day...

I suppose it's been awhile since I've complained here in the whining section, but I need to get this off of my chest.

Today, my school had an assembly that, by far, was the most uncomfortable event I'd ever attended. It was about Columbine; not solely about the attacks, but how we should learn to accept people for whoever they are--still, I felt singled out because everyone in the rows near me would keep looking at me with disapproval and contempt on their faces, whenever pictures or names of the kids who did it would come up. It was almost like they were trying to say, "This is all your fault."

It's annoying that, because the bigoted assholes who carried out the shooting were affiliated to the Gothic subculture by the media, that I'm somehow blamed for what they did. I wasn't the voice telling those boys to do what they did--so why would even dare clump me together with them? Of course, I know the answer to that already... but I can't help but continue to question it.

In short, it was humiliating. I heard whispers as I was walking out, people saying things like "I wonder if that girl would ever do that?" Normally I don't mind the little snarky comments I get, but this was a whole new level of mortification. I had never once felt so singled out from the crowd until after the assembly was over. People were being abnormally cruel to me and asking things like, "Would you shoot us up if we made fun of you?" "Do you idolize Hitler?" "Are you just as crazy as those other Goth kids who shot the school up?"

I seriously wanted to disappear after that. Just until it all blew over.

But I digress.

The assembly really moved me despite the hell I was getting; they wanted us to take this thing called the "Rachel's Challenge." I'm not sure how many people at G.net here have done it, but I wanted to give you a link in case you wanted to check it out.

http://www.rachelschallenge.com/

Anyway, I feel better now that I've written this all out. Thank God for the whining boards... and thank you to those who took the time to read, and perhaps look at the site.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Bella Sophia

omg, I get looks, and people turn their noses up at me. T_T It's the worse feeling, and I can't believe there are still idiots out there who believe that goths are school shooters
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
Kanedawg

People make superficial assumptions. There might have been some in your class who guessed that it should not be applied to you though. Hopefully.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
dark_dragon_of_ice

Ive never experienced this where I'm from so I have no idea what its like.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Kanedawg

You are from... another planet? Sounds lovely!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
dark_dragon_of_ice

No New Zealand but i am being serious..maybe it because our schools are smaller then in the states.All of 7th form was basically all friends and I didn't even notice the younger kids XP.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Kanedawg

I can see where it would somehow be more an American thing. I think we are a weird screwed-up culture in many ways.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
dark_dragon_of_ice

Maybe because I was more seen as the eccentric weirdo rather then the goth kid.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
Kanedawg

You are perceived as a non-goth eccentric weirdo. In general I see that a lot of people make superficial assumptions. Right after 9-11 I'd sometimes feel bad on seeing someone in a turban, only because they'd seem nervous, like I would make assumptions about them. Which I would not.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
Kanedawg

It's probably a decent hour in your part of the world. Not here. I may turn in soon. Woke up after midnight for some reason. But it's nice to chat.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
dark_dragon_of_ice

Night! Its 10 pm here.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
Kanedawg

Take it easy! 2 a.m. here!!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #13
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I get that sort of thing here too. And basically anyone who is 'weird' or 'strange' gets it too. People are always talking saying one of us will eventually shoot up the school and everyone in it.

But it is scary, because yes some of those kids get picked on hardcore and I am afraid that some day they won't take it anymore.

And after taking a look at Rachel's Challenge I am thinking that I will possibly try it, or get it started in my area.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #14
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
I get that sort of thing here too. And basically anyone who is 'weird' or 'strange' gets it too. People are always talking saying one of us will eventually shoot up the school and everyone in it.

But it is scary, because yes some of those kids get picked on hardcore and I am afraid that some day they won't take it anymore.

And after taking a look at Rachel's Challenge I am thinking that I will possibly try it, or get it started in my area.
omg, Hi! *waves*
Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #15
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Hello sweetie.

I am just saying this to you hunny as free advice so people won't try to kill you; in a thread like this try to say on topic, and we'll talk through PMs or your thread. People will say you're spamming and trolling, so just beware of that sweetie.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Hello sweetie.

I am just saying this to you hunny as free advice so people won't try to kill you; in a thread like this try to say on topic, and we'll talk through PMs or your thread. People will say you're spamming and trolling, so just beware of that sweetie.
Oh sorry.

Yesterday, I responded on topic, but no one seemed to notice...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Crying_Crimson_Tears

People won't always respond to it. It's just you putting in something. Some do read it, they just don't respond because they have something else to say. Anyway let's continue this in your thread if you have anything else.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
Bella Sophia

Quote:
People won't always respond to it. It's just you putting in something. Some do read it, they just don't respond because they have something else to say. Anyway let's continue this in your thread if you have anything else.
Ah, that's what I figured...
Anyway, I was just talking about this snooty old lady who took one look at me and turned up her nose. So, I told her about the subculture, and that there is a difference between goths and - I don't know what to call them - the school shooter brats that listen to Marilyn Manson and shit. And she said, "Oh! I didn't even know there was a difference!"

Yeah... bitch... *gives her an evil glare*
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #19
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Ha ha, you'll get that. People don't want to separate them or even try to understand, it's the way they're raised and it's the way they're allowed to see these things for what they really aren't.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #20
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Ha ha, you'll get that. People don't want to separate them or even try to understand, it's the way they're raised and it's the way they're allowed to see these things for what they really aren't.
Haha, my mom sort of understands. My dad scares me though. o.o
I'm so far from my culture, and being an African-American goth doesn't help things...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #21
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yeah, people especially don't understand the Goths who are not white. Most people I find seem to think if you're Goth, you should be white.

It just fits the stereotype, and God forbid if we mess with their poor little close minded minds.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #22
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Yeah, people especially don't understand the Goths who are not white. Most people I find seem to think if you're Goth, you should be white.

It just fits the stereotype, and God forbid if we mess with their poor little close minded minds.
I know. I just wish I could... "dress the part more." See, I would show off all my awesome clothes if it weren't for the stupid dress code at my school. (my mom finally gave up on fighting, so she buys me the clothes that I want.)

It took me a while though to realize that Hot Topic is over rated. I felt bad shopping there because people were telling me "real goths don't shop at Hot Topic." Also, it is very mainstream, and well, I'm not a mainstream person. So, my mom found this awesome vintage store called Rockin Rose Boutique. Ha... it puts Hot Topic to shame. ^^
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Was Rachel Scott the one who answered "yes" when the murderer asked "do you believe in God?"?

Enlightening link L'Oiseau, thanks.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #24
korinna5555

Rachel's Challenge pisses me off.
They martyr her, while at the same time demonizing the shooters. Instead of making the ENTIRE message of the program about peace and love, they like to emphasize how the shooters ruined it all. For someone who supposedly was friends with everyone who needed it, I find it strange that Rachel never reached out to Harris and Klebold (who were apparently really messed up and teased constantly)

Rachel Scott SUPPOSEDLY said yes she believed in God, but there are no witnesses to that. I still think it was made up to further martyr her.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Was Rachel Scott the one who answered "yes" when the murderer asked "do you believe in God?"?

Enlightening link L'Oiseau, thanks.
It's debatable whether or not that actually happened. Apparently, the cops heard three different versions of the exchange from various students, and the first ones who reported it were situated in the room in such a way that it was extremely unlikely they'd have heard anyway. The general conclusion is that it's just another urban legend.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote